Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:06 pm

What are some of your favorite foreign films? 
Post Re: What are some of your favorite foreign films?
quasiinjun wrote:
I really like South Korean director Kim Ki-duk. His films aren't for everyone though, sparse dialogue and often times dark subject matter. Still he makes incredible pictures with very small budgets.

3-Iron is my favorite. Zero spoken dialogue between the two leads so the film relies solely on visual elements but manages to convey a lot of emotion.

Here here!
Great recommendation!
Rob

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:35 am
Au Hasard Balthazar
France - Bresson
The life and times of a french donkey :-)

Tokyo Story
Japan - Ozu
Japanese parents travel to Tokyo to try and find solace with their kids

These are two of my recent discoveries
Rob

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:37 am
Anything with Gerard Depardieu(French actor) and Catherine Deneauve(sp)

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:06 am
Make sure to check out Pan's Labyrinth, it's my favourite twisted fairy tale.... And also Once Were Warriors which is a Kiwi film about New Zealand suburbia that is deeply shocking.

Do Australian movies qualify as foreign? If so: Chopper is a film about Australia's most infamous hit man and was the film that got Eric Bana noticed, Romper Stomper is Russel Crowe's best performance as a skin-head, and the penultimate anti-war film Gallipoli.

And on behalf of Australia, I apologise for the film Australia

Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:15 am
Some of my favourite foreign films (some mentioned, others not):

Das Boot, Das Experiment, City of God, No Mans Land, Infernal Affairs and Yojimbo.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:23 am
MylesM wrote:
Do Australian movies qualify as foreign? If so: Chopper is a film about Australia's most infamous hit man and was the film that got Eric Bana noticed, Romper Stomper is Russel Crowe's best performance as a skin-head, and the penultimate anti-war film Gallipoli.

And on behalf of Australia, I apologise for the film Australia

Lantana, The Proposition and The Bank also worthy of mention (plus Kenny and The Castle).

Anyways, the Three Colour Series, along with Downfall, Spirited Away & Run Lola Run off the top of my head.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:47 am
Patrick wrote:
The best off the top of my head:

-Akira
-Hard Boiled
-Miyazaki movies

If you are intersted in looking in to anime at all, Akira and Miyazaki are excellent recommendations, although personally I've found some of Miyazaki's films to be less enjoyable. I'd recommend starting with:

Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
My Neighbour Totoro

Also, Old Boy has been recommended by a fair amount of people, and if you happen to enjoy it you should check out the rest of Chan-wook Park's Vengeance Trilogy (don't worry about watching it in any specific order, it's a collection of films exploring similar themes rather than the continuation of a single plot):

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Old Boy
Lady Vengeance

Some other films I'd recommend:

Grave of the Fireflies
Jin-Roh:The Wolf Brigade
The Princess and the Warrior
Crimson Rivers

note: These are US region titles.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:30 pm
2. Dekalog (1988) [The Decalogue]
8. Ladri di biciclette (1948) [The Bicycle Thief]
13. Krótki film o milosci (1988) [A Short Film About Love]
17. Det sjunde inseglet (1957) [The Seventh Seal]
19. Umberto D. (1952)
22. Les quatre cents coups (1959) [The 400 Blows]
23. Shichinin no samurai (1954) [Seven Samurai]
24. Krótki film o zabijaniu (1988) [A Short Film About Killing]
27. El laborinto del fauno (2006) [Pan's Labyrinth]
29. M (1931)
30. Les diaboliques (1955) [Diabolique]
34. Rashômon (1950)
36. Da hong deng long gao gao gua (1991) [Raise the Red Lantern]
37. Chelovek s kino-apparatom (1929) [Man With the Movie Camera]
39. Maria Full of Grace (2004)
41. 8½ (1963)
42. La Strada (1954)
45. Cidade de deus (2002) [City of God]
47. Trois couleurs: Rouge (1994) [Red]
49. Persepolis (2007)
67. The Apu Trilogy (1955, 1956, 1959)
68. Tôkyô monogatari (1953) [Tokyo Story]
90. Yeopgijeogin geunyeo (2001) [My Sassy Girl]
93. Le scaphandre et le papillon (2007) [The Diving Bell and the Butterfly]

From my top 100, which needs significant revision. I also want to mention Grave of the Fireflies, Let the Right One In, The Class, Waltz With Bashir, Scenes From a Marriage, Fanny and Alexander, Persona, Welcome to Dongmakgol, and Amelie. I'm sure I've forgotten a ton.

FOR THE RECORD: UK/Canada/other English films from other countries count as a foreign film to me; however, I listed foreign language films. I kind of disobeyed the topic title.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:29 pm
I will mention just the top three:

1)The Seven Samurai
200+ minutes long and I never looked at my watch. Kurosawa was a master storyteller above all and he is at peak form in that film.

2)Stalker
I am not the biggest fan of Tarkowski. But this mesmerizing movie is undoubtedly one of the greatest masterpieces of world cinema.

3)Fanny and Alexander
Bergman's best movie, IMHO. Viewing this film was one of my most satisfying experiences as a moviegoer.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:04 pm
hello everyone. my names Kyle. just registered. I love James Berardinelli's reviews and thats obviously why I'm here. yeah just wanted to introduce myself and also chip in some foreign film recommendations. I'm no expert or anything but heres some that I enjoy. I have been getting interested in foreign films over the past year or two.

Turtles Can Fly-great film set at the Iraq/Iran border thats about how Civil War can affect orphaned kids lives. It may sound like a Documentary but its not. It is an Incredible movie in my opinion
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424227/

Red Beard- Japanese movie from 1965. from Imdb "In a charity hospital, a hard-bitten but honorable older doctor, Dr. Niide, takes a young intern under his guidance through the course of a number of difficult cases"
its a Highly Underrated film by Akira Kurosawa in my opinion. It's also the last film he did with Toshiro Mifune
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058888/

La Haine(Hate)- amazing french film about Hate between many. kind of vague I know but go to the imdb.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113247/

The Battle of Algiers-awesome movie about the algierians strugle for independence from the french. Its shot in a documnetary style so some parts of the movie feel real.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058946/

La Promesse(The Promise)- very realistic and at times heartbreaking movie. there is no musical score in the movie and it adds a sense of realisim. It might be hard to find but track it down. its great
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117398/

Ikiru-heartwarming movie and somewhat overlooked(although not as much as Red Beard) movie by Akira Kurosawa
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044741/

Let the Right One In-I loved every second of this movie and it makes me sad that there is going to be a US remake. I don't usually like Vampire movies or romantic-type movies that much but this does it right.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:07 pm
The Apu Trilogy and Fanny and Alexander are good springboards for their respective directors.

I also recommend Ozu if you're patient. He touches on many similar themes in his movies and some parts of his movies may be difficult to understand because of the culture gap. However, they are very easy to relate to because the things he focuses on are universal (reflections on aging, relationships between family members, confronting death and grieving). I find him quite remarkable and rewarding, but I can understand why some people would be bothered by his style and pacing.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:42 pm
Lots of very good recommandations. Here are a few more I didn't see :
- Le salaire de la peur (The Wages of Fear)
- Le corbeau (The Raven)
- Le déclin de l'empire américain
- Downfall
- Nobody Knows
- Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (Elevator to the Gallows)
- Le festin de Babette (Babette's Feast)
- Farewell, My Concubine
- C.R.A.Z.Y.
- Celebration
- Cyrano de Bergerac
- El espinazo del diablo (The Devil's Backbone)
- Jeux interdits (Forbidden Games)
- La grande illusion (Grand Illusion)
- I Am Cuba
- In the Mood for Love
- Abre los ojos (Open Your Eyes)
- Hable con ella (Talk to her)
- La règle du jeu (The Rules of the Game)
- Mar Adentro (The Sea Inside)
- Les parapluies de Cherbourg (The Umbrellas of Cherbourg)
- L'homme qui voulait savoir (The Vanishing)

A few titles I would not hesitate to recommend.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:27 pm
Ichi the Killer 8-)

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:20 pm
City of God

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:57 pm
I'd have to think long and hard about my all-time foreign favorites (Run Lola Run would probably be tops, just because it's so damn fun), but here are the ten best ones I saw last year:

1. Throne of Blood
2. Gate of Hell
3. Mon Oncle
4. A Story of Floating Weeds
5. M. Hulot's Holiday
6. Inside
7. Aaltra
8. The Bow
9. Persepolis
10. Time Out

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:28 pm
I'll agree with some of the faves here including City of God, Haute Tension, Old Boy, Hard Boiled and I'll throw in the incredibly tense The Wages of Fear (Le Salaire de la peur) from 1953.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:06 pm
I too also enjoy foreign cinema quite a bit. Foreign flicks to me seem to take more chances and have more of an edge to them. Plus they often are more visually arresting. Here is a small list of recommendations:

City of God (Brazil, 2002): Basically, think of what you get when you combine Scarface with Boyz in the Hood and make you cast most teens and preteens and that should give you an approximation of what to expect here. Undoubtedly one of my favorite films ever!

Amelie (France, 2001): A delightful, offbeat, visually-striking romance featuring a star-making turn from Audrey Tatou. Another film that I love to death!

City of Lost Children (France, 1995): An early effort from Jean Jeunet (who went on to do Amelie) that is bascially a twisted fantasy/dark comedy about mad scientists who kidnap children and steal their dreams. Well worth tracking down and cherishing!

There are others but this is a good place to start.

Trainspotting (Great Britain, 1996): Offbeat, darkly-comedic drug-addiction drama that featured a star-making turn from Ewan McGregor. Entertaining, but rather disturbing at times.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:19 pm
I can't add anything that hasn't been listed but here are some of my favorites nonetheless(non english speaking)

City of God
Amelie
The Counterfeiters
The Lives of Others
The Three Colors series
Throne of Blood
Seven Samurai

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:28 pm
If you want to get into foreign films probably the best piece of advice I can give you is to get a subscription to Netflix and the bookmark the Criterion website. You are in for the most wonderful adventure.

http://www.criterion.com/

Just in case anyone does not know. Criterion is the Mother Lode of classic and foreign DVD's. each film is lovingly restored and often features great commentaries. The worst case scenario is that you find a film you don't like and it costs you nothing.

You can explore the site by themes - see below

CULT MOVIES
FRENCH NEW WAVE
ITALIAN NEOREALISM
TECHNICOLOR
NEW GERMAN CINEMA
POETIC REALISM
NOIR AND NEONOIR
DOCUMENTARIES
SAMURAI CINEMA

Hope this is useful.
Rob

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:42 pm
I don't want to embarrass AJ Hakari too much:

But if you're into foreign movies this is a really good site to check out.

AJ and a couple of friends have reviewed nearly 300 foreign movies over three years. The site is really easy to search by title, ratings and region. The reviews are very well written (I'm envious), a nice read and not too high brow. It's a great place to start if you're thinking about digging into foreign movies.

http://passportcinema.com/

Rob

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:33 pm