Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:00 pm

What are some of your favorite foreign films? 
Post Re: What are some of your favorite foreign films?
I tend to favor contemplative character-driven stuff, so keep that in mind:

Children of Nature (my favorite from Iceland's best director)
Kieslowski's Three Colors
Kieslowski's Decalogue (better than the trilogy, IMO)
Solaris (the original Tarkovsky version; the remake didn't work)
Babette's Feast
The Bicycle Thief
Stalker

Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:35 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
I don't want to embarrass AJ Hakari too much:

But if you're into foreign movies this is a really good site to check out.

AJ and a couple of friends have reviewed nearly 300 foreign movies over three years. The site is really easy to search by title, ratings and region. The reviews are very well written (I'm envious), a nice read and not too high brow. It's a great place to start if you're thinking about digging into foreign movies.

http://passportcinema.com/

Rob

Thanks for the endorsement, Rob (money's under the door :D). Glad you dig the reviews.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:14 pm
A.J. Hakari wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
I don't want to embarrass AJ Hakari too much:

But if you're into foreign movies this is a really good site to check out.

AJ and a couple of friends have reviewed nearly 300 foreign movies over three years. The site is really easy to search by title, ratings and region. The reviews are very well written (I'm envious), a nice read and not too high brow. It's a great place to start if you're thinking about digging into foreign movies.

http://passportcinema.com/

Rob

Thanks for the endorsement, Rob (money's under the door :D). Glad you dig the reviews.

AJ

Hmm, I checked the doormat and there's no money?

One suggestion - I wish you had a coming up section. It would be cool to know what you guys are planning in March

Rob

Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:13 pm
Pickpocket is really good. It's sort of like Taxi Driver, in that it's got that Dostoevsky "Notes From Underground" vibe about it.

I'll also second The Rules of the Game. Like Citizen Kane, it helped to codify a lot of the experimental techniques that were going on in film at the time into a solid vocabulary. It especially took the trick of doing parallel action in deep focus and ran with it.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:24 pm
Another good one would be Spanish director Pedro Almodovar's 1999 film Sobre Todo mi Madre (All About my Mother)- A very solid melodrama laced with enough humor to keep this from becoming to depressing.

Also worth checking out would be 1995's Das Versprechen (The Promise), an excellent German film about the effect that the Berlin Wall and the surrounding politics has on two lovers during that time. Highly intelligent and deeply affecting.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:54 am
oafolay wrote:
Another good one would be Spanish director Pedro Almodovar's 1999 film Sobre Todo mi Madre (All About my Mother)- A very solid melodrama laced with enough humor to keep this from becoming to depressing.

Also worth checking out would be 1995's Das Versprechen (The Promise), an excellent German film about the effect that the Berlin Wall and the surrounding politics has on two lovers during that time. Highly intelligent and deeply affecting.

Hi there

I saw Almodovar's movie at a film festival and really liked it. It's quite well known.
I've not seen the Promise, can you tell us more?

Rob

Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:14 am
I have to say that Almodovar is one of the most ambitious filmmakers out there. I haven't enjoyed all of his films (Volver and Bad Education didn't trip my trigger, alas), but when he's on his game, he can come up with something brilliant, and even his lesser films always have something interesting about them.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:30 am
Just throwing a few more out there off the top of my head.

Babbette's Feast
Forbidden Games
Tampopo
Man Bites Dog
Nightwatch
The Vanishing
Goodbye Lenin
The Downfall

Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:17 am
Quote:

oafolay wrote:

Hi there

I saw Almodovar's movie at a film festival and really liked it. It's quite well known.
I've not seen the Promise, can you tell us more?

Rob

Hello Rob,

In response to your question, here is a synopsis of The Promise and I will put this in a spoiler tag to make allowances for the possibility that I inadvertently give away important details. I saw this one several years ago in a class I took and I'm not sure how easy it is to track down but at any rate here goes:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Essentially, the movie begins in 1961 East Germany where a group of young people attempts an escape to West Germany. Eventually, one of them, Konrad, decides against it while the rest of the group goes. As the years go by, Konrad eventually becomes a highly respected physics professor in the Eastern bloc and is given a chance to go to West Germany where he is reunited with Sophie, his girlfriend who was part of the group that escaped. This relationship becomes the main thrust of the storyline as the two lovers have to deal with the circumstances imposed on them as a result of the Berlin Wall as well as personal circumstances.

I hope that this helps in giving you more of an overview of the movie. Toodles! :mrgreen:

Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:39 am
Almodovar's Talk To Her is really terrific.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:39 pm
MunichMan wrote:

Babbette's Feast
Forbidden Games
Tampopo
Man Bites Dog
Nightwatch
The Vanishing
Goodbye Lenin
The Downfall

Hi MunichMan

Man Bites Dog is a rarely mentioned film on this forum. In the early nineties I was living in Belgium when this came out and it caused quite an uproar. I have since purchased the Criterion laserdisc and watched the DVD.

It's a flawed movie as it has great ideas, humor and execution but fails to fully develop them and ultimately runs out of steam. That said, it's something of a personal cult favorite. It is definitely not for the easily offended. For anyone that loves Kubrick and specifically Clockwork Orange this may be a fascinating film.

The film is shot in grainy black and white almost documentary style and is the story of a film crew following a young man going on an horrendous killing spree. The key piece of the film is the protagonists casual and sometimes hilarious dialog with the film crew as he outlines his reasoning and methodology. This takes the film into a very weird place that will leave some viewers very uncomfortable, and others appalled.

I wish this was in the eighties and James would have it in his decade revisit. 3 stars or 7 out of ten

Rob

Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:48 pm
The Bicycle Thief that's a great one.

However I think I'll go with Drunken Master 2. Not the screwed up US version "Legend of the Drunken Master"

Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:58 pm
Quote:

MunichMan wrote:

Babbette's Feast
Forbidden Games
Tampopo
Man Bites Dog
Nightwatch
The Vanishing
Goodbye Lenin
The Downfall

Hi MunichMan

Man Bites Dog is a rarely mentioned film on this forum. In the early nineties I was living in Belgium when this came out and it caused quite an uproar. I have since purchased the Criterion laserdisc and watched the DVD.

It's a flawed movie as it has great ideas, humor and execution but fails to fully develop them and ultimately runs out of steam. That said, it's something of a personal cult favorite. It is definitely not for the easily offended. For anyone that loves Kubrick and specifically Clockwork Orange this may be a fascinating film.

The film is shot in grainy black and white almost documentary style and is the story of a film crew following a young man going on an horrendous killing spree. The key piece of the film is the protagonists casual and sometimes hilarious dialog with the film crew as he outlines his reasoning and methodology. This takes the film into a very weird place that will leave some viewers very uncomfortable, and others appalled.

I wish this was in the eighties and James would have it in his decade revisit. 3 stars or 7 out of ten

Rob

Hey Rob,

James actually did review Man Bites Dogs Here is the review:http://www.reelviews.net/movies/m/man_bites.html. I actually saw this one several years ago and I thought it was equally boring and disturbing. I may need to see it again now that I have a slightly more matured perspective.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:46 pm
oafolay wrote:
Quote:

MunichMan wrote:

Babbette's Feast
Forbidden Games
Tampopo
Man Bites Dog
Nightwatch
The Vanishing
Goodbye Lenin
The Downfall

Hi MunichMan

Rob

Hey Rob,

James actually did review Man Bites Dogs Here is the review:http://www.reelviews.net/movies/m/man_bites.html. I actually saw this one several years ago and I thought it was equally boring and disturbing. I may need to see it again now that I have a slightly more matured perspective.

I agree, it's somewhat of a trainwreck film for me. Hard to watch, and hard not to watch. Definitely interesting, though. It's a difficult film in the way that Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer is a difficult film. The difference with Henry is the complete lack of irony, which makes it so much more disturbing.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:49 pm
Another good foreign film would be Amores Perros. I assume that enough people have heard of this one to where a synopsis isn't really needed but let me know otherwise if that isn't the case.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:03 pm
Director

Gonna list by directors:

Akira Kurosawa: Rashomon, Yojimbo and Ran are three of his best.

Francois Truffaut: The 400 Blows, Jules and Jim and The Last Metro.

Ingmar Bergman: Fanny And Alexander, Wild Strawberries and The Seventh Seal.

Werner Herzog: Aguirre, Fitzcarraldo, Grizzly Man and Nosferatu The Vampire. That's only a sampling, since I'm a Herzog fan.

Jean Luc-Godard: Breathless deserves its classic status. Other than that, I've never been a Godard fan.

Park Chan-Wook: Oldboy, Thirst and the Vengeance films are some of the best from this South Korean master.

John Woo: Thinking specifically of his Hong Kong films here. I'd highly recommend The Killer, Hard Boiled and Bullet In The Head.

Satyajit Ray: The Apu Trilogy of course. After that, proceed as you see fit.

Pedro Almodovar: Woman On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown, Volver and All About My Mother.

Wim Wenders: Paris Texas is great. Aside from that I've never been too big a Wenders fan.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet: I do like A Very Long Engagement. But for the most part I give Jeunet points for making films that are recognizable as Jeunet films albeit ones I don't particularly care for.

Mira Nair: Mississippi Masala and Monsoon Wedding. The latter especially I liked way better than the overrated My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Bernardo Bertolucci: The Conformist and Last Tango In Paris are my favorites by the Italian master.

Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu: Aside form beautiful, which I haven't seen, you can't go wrong with any of his, although I especially recommend Amores Perros.

Guillermo Del Toro: Cronos and The Devils Backbone are two of the best recent horror films and Pans Labyrinth goes without saying.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:12 am