Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:03 am

What are some of your favorite foreign films? 
Post What are some of your favorite foreign films?
I've recently gotten into foreign movies and would like some recommendations. A brief description of the movie would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:46 am
Post Re: What are some of your favorite foreign films?
This is a rather vague question as I don't have any idea on your taste in film or what genre you are looking for. Foreign films are not all that different aside from the fact that most of it will need to be subtitled. Having said that a nice place to start is the Criterion Collection, they have a very nice selection of foreign and world cinema ranging from the 1920's to the present covering many genres and influential filmmakers.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:23 am
Anything really. I don't have a particular genre I prefer over another in English movies, anything that is well made I guess.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:45 am
I guess this is also based on your location. To me even American movies are foreign films. Maybe you mean "Movies not in the English language" ?

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:56 am
Check out "Nine Queens" from Argentina. The less you know about it, the better, since it has many surprises. All you need to know is that it's about two con men trying to sell fake stamps.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:26 am
Just a few off the top of my head:

The Motocycle Diaries - Drama / 2004 / Spain...? Anyway pretty sure they speak Spanish in the movie...
- great if you want to impress that short haired, vesper riding arty chick...

Audition - Horror / 1999 / Japan
- if you really want to get f***ed up by a movie this is it...

City of God - Drama / 2002 / Brazil ?
- This like the darker version of Slumdog with more black humour thrown in for good measure...

The Lives of Others - Drama / 2006 / Germany
- The ending made me cry like a little girl... it's a bit heavy at times but definitely worth checking out...

Taxi - Action/Comedy / 1998 / France
- This is a fun fun movie... till Hollywood wrecked it with a remake... the original is brilliant though !

Brotherhood of the Wolf - Action / 2001 / France
- This has always been a guilty pleasure of mine; though the English dubbing was pretty atrocious...

Once Upon a Time In China - Action / 1991 / Hong Kong
- An absolute classic proving that Jet Li was brilliant till he came to Hollywood...

Pusher - Thriller / 1996 / Denmark
- Gripping edge of your sear stuff - probably one of the most intense movies I've seen...

Old Boy - Action/Thriller / 2003 / South Korea
- Another cult classis that you should definitely watch before Hollywood + Will Smith come in with the remake...

Okay that's about it for now; hopefully you'd be able to track some of those titles down.

Cheers

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:39 am
I only really got into foreign films because of hugely inferior remakes, but anyway...

Oldboy. Twisty, ultra violent, darkly funny and a great ending. All I could want from a film really.

The Killer. Done and redone countless times, but I still think this is John Woo's best film.

Hard Boiled. The last truly great film Woo made.

Le Samourai. I'm not really a fan of French cinema (find it too arty for art's sake ), but this was an exception.

Ong Bak. I've always liked martial arts films, but this was in a different league to stuff by Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:47 am
The best off the top of my head:

-Akira
-Hard Boiled
-Miyazaki movies

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:26 am
I add my vote to Old Boy. The ending stayed with me for a long time.

The Seventh Seal should be on your list. I've only seen it the once, but it was great. Not sure if it was the script or Swedish in general, but the voices were almost poetic. Good to listen to, even if you don't understand the words directly.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:08 pm
First of all, putting foreign films as a genre always sort of annoys me, because there are SO many subgenres within them, so I wish people were a little more specific.

With that said, City Of God is one of the best movies I have ever seen, foreign or not. The Lives Of Others is also fantastic, as is Infernal Affairs, which is the movie that The Departed is based upon.

All of those are terrific, and I highly recommend watching them.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:55 pm
My favorite film of all time is Kurosawa's Seven Samurai and my 2nd favorite is De Sica's The Bicycle Thief. Those are good ones to check out as well.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:21 pm
baz1701 wrote:
I'm not really a fan of French cinema (find it too arty for art's sake )

As a French user, I beg to differ. Of course, French cinema is still loaded with all this over talkative, artsy-fartsy production it's dispised for in numerous countries. But you might want to know it's getting more and more, err, "americanized".

The recent BO topping "Taken" is a French production (a Luc Besson one). You can't deny the "american" feel of it. And yet, does it make this tripe any good ? Of course not.
Another american flavored Besson production is on his way as we speak: the B13 sequel. I wouldn't count on it for the Oscars as well.

My point is that you cannot box the whole French cinema in that elitist, arrogant category it's sometimes known for. Because it's mutating very fast. Actually, it's pretty torn these days between the elitist side and the no holds barred blockbuster side.

Now, to answer deckman's question, a few suggestions from France:
ACTION: Subway, Pirates, Leon, The Nest, The Messenger, Dobberman
COMEDY: Le Père Noël est une ordure, La Chèvre, Trois hommes et un couffin, The Visitors, The Dinner Game, Bernie, Le Créateur, Gazon maudit, Le derrière, Didier, Locked out, Astérix et Obélix : Mission Cléopâtre, Tanguy, Brice de Nice, Palais Royal, OSS 117, 99 F, Welcome to the land of shtis,
DRAMEDY: The Big Blue, The Party (La Boum), Cyrano, The Taste of Others, Swimming Pool, Amelie, Pot Luck,
DRAMA: Betty Blue, "Au revoir, les enfants", Jean de Florette, La Haine, Already Dead, La Vie en Rose, A Very Long Engagement, The Class, Irreversible, L'instinct de mort/L'ennemi public n°1
THRILLER/POLAR: The Name of the Rose, La Balance, Nikita, The Crimson Rivers, "Harry, He's Here to Help",
FANTASTIC: Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, The Science of Sleep
SCI-FI: The Fifth Element, Atomik Circus, Dante 01, Babylon AD
HORROR: Haute Tension, Le Sheitan, Inside, Martyrs, Them

I might add selections from other countries.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:09 pm
A film made in England, and primarily played there is a foreign film I guess, since it is a foreign country, right?

Anyway, This Is England is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:01 pm
If you liked This is England, you might want to check out Dead Man's Shoes. Also directed by Shane Meadows, it's a very dark and gritty film but well worth it, and features a brilliant performance by the lead actor, Paddy Considine.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:13 pm
new_xieland wrote:
City of God - Drama / 2002 / Brazil ?
- This like the darker version of Slumdog with more black humour thrown in for good measure...

The Lives of Others - Drama / 2006 / Germany
- The ending made me cry like a little girl... it's a bit heavy at times but definitely worth checking out...

Old Boy - Action/Thriller / 2003 / South Korea
- Another cult classis that you should definitely watch before Hollywood + Will Smith come in with the remake...

These ones would be picks from me.

Also several Kurosawa films. The Seven Samurai, Stray Dog, and especially High and Low. Lady in the Dunes and Face of Another, for two other Japanese films. Farewell My Concubine, To Live, and several other Gong Li films for China.

TLoO and City of God are two of my ten favorite films from this decade.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:35 pm
Here's a few I didn't see mentioned...

Amores Perros - Inarritu's best! A masterpiece!

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu - It moves incredibly slow and some might find it boring. If you're a patient viewer, however, you should love it.

The Edge of Heaven - Incredibly involving. If you like stuff like "Babel" or "21 Grams", give this a try. Also, the same director made a film called "Head-On" that's really great.

Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy - Especially Red and Blue. I didn't care for White too much, but i'd put both Blue and Red in my Top 10 of All Time list!

Seven Beauties - Really disturbing movie... but it's something more people need to see.

The Son - Very slow and naturalistic like The Death of Mr. Lazarescu or 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (which you should also see). If that's your thing, you'll like it.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:47 pm
Surprised no one has mentioned the Counterfeiters; rented it along with the Lives of Others and found I liked Counterfeiters better. Great, gorgeous movie

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:18 pm
I was surprised how much I liked "Ponette." A french film that came out in the mid to late 90s about a 4-year old's way of coping with grief (death of her mother). The movie felt very authentic and the child actress was very very good.

Also really liked "Raise the Red Lantern" (chinese film)

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:53 pm
I really like South Korean director Kim Ki-duk. His films aren't for everyone though, sparse dialogue and often times dark subject matter. Still he makes incredible pictures with very small budgets.

3-Iron is my favorite. Zero spoken dialogue between the two leads so the film relies solely on visual elements but manages to convey a lot of emotion.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:15 am
The Lives of Others, 2046, and for a little bit of fun: Shaolin Soccer.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:25 am