Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:39 pm

Worst Movie-Going Experiences 
Post Re: Worst Movie-Going Experiences
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
hahaha, Ummm, We call those people goombah, guido douchers!!

Yes, yes we do. I live in Jersey so I know all 'bout em.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:07 pm
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I'm going to describe a situation just to see you guys point of view.

While I do hate to hear people talking/ answering phones in standard movie going affair, I have done the following before. Every year when a certain movie comes out, such as the next saw, or snakes on a plane, or something to that effect, my friends and I will get absolutely piss drunk hammered and go to the movie for the "experience." Now I can promise you, during these times, no one has told us to shut up while most even laugh at us more than the movie and even edge us on. Hell, most of the others were probably just as plowed as we were.

I'd personally despise anyone doing such things. I'm lucky enough to not have been in a screening with anyone causing a disturbance throughout the film but what you're describing would really aggravate me. I don't care what the movie is, if I see it I want to enjoy it for what is. If I miss lines for any reason it bugs me and if was for an avoidable reason i.e. poor behaviour then even more so. It sounds like you wouldn't do this for more serious-fare, which is good, but I have to disapprove on this issue.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:18 pm
I once saw a special screeneing of Life of Brian and Monty Python and the Holy Grail with several mates and we'd had a few beforehand. It's the only time I've been asked to leave a cinema, as we were all laughing so hard.

So, I am guilty of not behaving in a good way during a film, I'm sorry to say.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:21 pm
baz1701 wrote:
I once saw a special screeneing of Life of Brian and Monty Python and the Holy Grail with several mates and we'd had a few beforehand. It's the only time I've been asked to leave a cinema, as we were all laughing so hard.

So, I am guilty of not behaving in a good way during a film, I'm sorry to say.

If I were watching those two films in a cinema sober, I would still be laughing that hard.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:25 pm
etifupleez wrote:
I usually get annoyed by very,very small noises, like when people chew popcorn to loudly, it really gets to me, and holds me back from fully enjoying the movie.

Hi there

i was at the new Cerrito Speakeasy near Berkeley. This huge guy walked into a very quiet movie with a monster bag of popcorn. I swear that after 5 minutes about twenty people had told him to stop making so much noise. It was simply amazing how one person could suck, slurp and masticate with popcorn achieving such impressive volume levels.

Nothing would stop him.

What I never understood was how he could hear the film.

Rob

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:55 pm
I caught an advance screening of Rush Hour 3. Along with being an irredeemably awful film, the experience with the overdone security and burly bouncer dudes herding everyone into the theater was highly discouraging.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:38 pm
Horror movies are the WORST to go see in a theater. I went to go see The Strangers last year and wanted to walk out even though I was enjoying the film. It wasn't great, but it was entertaining, however, every two minutes I had to deal with a bunch of teenage girls screaming in anticipation of something happening. There were two rows of them who came together and it was more torture listening to them and watching them jump than the things that were going on onscreen. Never again will I go see a horror movie on opening night.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:27 pm
bob harris wrote:
Horror movies are the WORST to go see in a theater. I went to go see The Strangers last year and wanted to walk out even though I was enjoying the film. It wasn't great, but it was entertaining, however, every two minutes I had to deal with a bunch of teenage girls screaming in anticipation of something happening. There were two rows of them who came together and it was more torture listening to them and watching them jump than the things that were going on onscreen. Never again will I go see a horror movie on opening night.

Agreed.
The drunk idiots and cell phone abusers always seem to pick opening weekend horror movies to do their thing.
I'm with you there, never again.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:43 pm
bob harris wrote:

Yeah, I am not the biggest horror fan, but if there is a movie I want to see in that genre, I usually like to see it in my house, with the lights off, alone- it makes it a little scarier for me.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:45 pm
Oh, I have many.

My favorite has to be when I saw the Kingdom at AMC Loews Cherry Hill 24, in New Jersey. It was a midnight show, the ads are playing, and I walk into what has to be the dirtiest auditorium I've seen. Trash - everywhere. Seats are covered in popcorn. People are walking in and trying to figure out what seat is least cluttered.

The ads end, the previews begin... and midway through the first preview who walks in but the cleaning crew. They do a mediocre job of cleaning up, and leave by the time the AMC Feature Presentation snipe comes on. Of course, they had to put the lights up to do the cleaning... and they don't forget to put them down again, so the entire movie rolls under the dim trailer lights. After the movie ends... of course the lights fade out entirely.

Second favorite is when me and a few friends purposely chose to see Pineapple Express at a smaller theatre (Regal/UA Grant Plaza 9 in Northeast Philly) on a weeknight at 10pm in order to avoid crowds, and we are the only people there... until five people walk in, talking EXTREMELY loudly, WITH crying babies. Of course the entire theatre staff decided to leave, so nobody was there to complain to. We ended up walking out and my one friend has sworn off theatres since.

Third favorite was Spider-Man 2. I got to see that, first row of the big 500-seat theatre at AMC Neshaminy 24, between my friends who would laugh every time we got to see Kirsten Dunst and her questionable dental work, and a punk/goth looking girl next to me who would go "OH SNAP!" and "POOR SPIDEY!" at key moments.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:05 am
Monsters Inc - I'm way above the average age, halfway through the movie you hear a very loud "That film is quite long!" from a kid, and another kid got actually scared when Sulley is scaring the dummy. This experience put me off watching Pixar movies in cinema for years. The next one I saw was Ratatouille.

Van Helsing - I had to work in a small town where you could do almost nothing for entertainment, so one evening I decided to go to the cinema. The cinema itself was a joke, very small, bad chairs, etc. The real horror came when I noticed that smoking was allowed. But nothing had prepared me for that awful film...

Star Wars Episode II - The film has already started, two young women come in late, sit down right in front of me and the friend I went with, and instead of trying to be quiet they cheer each other by clonking their beer bottles. It's a good thing that lightsabers don't work in our reality, otherwise I would have decapitated them.

Batman Begins - A grandmother sits down behind me with her three grandchildren. The middle one doesn't seem to get what's going on and is often hushed by the oldest one. The youngest one, definately way below the age for that movie, is getting bored and starts climbing on the chairs. Somewhen during that process he catches my head and gets something sticky in my hair.

This probably explains why I don't go to the cinema now as often as I used to. Another reason is that I prefer to watch the original language to the dubbed ones.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:09 am
Passenger 57 in 1992 - I saw it at the theater downtown(not exactly one of the most safest places in the city at the time). I saw plenty of movies there with no problems. However-at one time during the movie, a couple of guys sat RIGHT by me on BOTH of my sides! And this was DESPITE the theater only having 20 some people in it. It wasn't so much that they started talking their heads off, but I was afraid they were going to rob me. Fortunately, I got up at the perfect time to run to the rest room, and was able to isolate myself afterwards.

Honestly-the other times of people around me talking their heads off during the movie was NOTHING compared to this!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:31 am
HulkieD wrote:
Oh, I have many.

My favorite has to be when I saw the Kingdom at AMC Loews Cherry Hill 24, in New Jersey. It was a midnight show, the ads are playing, and I walk into what has to be the dirtiest auditorium I've seen. Trash - everywhere. Seats are covered in popcorn. People are walking in and trying to figure out what seat is least cluttered.

The ads end, the previews begin... and midway through the first preview who walks in but the cleaning crew. They do a mediocre job of cleaning up, and leave by the time the AMC Feature Presentation snipe comes on. Of course, they had to put the lights up to do the cleaning... and they don't forget to put them down again, so the entire movie rolls under the dim trailer lights. After the movie ends... of course the lights fade out entirely.

Wow that is awful. There's been a few times for me where the lights didn't dim entirely but it usually only lasted 5-8 minutes into the film. That's bad enough but the whole movie?? It's like you can't get comfortable until they go out.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:04 pm