Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:20 am

Worst Movie-Going Experiences 
Post Worst Movie-Going Experiences
I'm sure this is a redundant topic and not the most positive but I just returned from a terrible movie going experience and I felt the need to rant and to hear your stories as well.

Me and my girlfriend went to see Friday the 13th tonight. We'd recently watched all 11 films straight through and were excited to see cheesy gore on the big screen. So we found out seats and sat down. The theater was not very full, maybe half, so there were a lot of empty seats to choose from.

First off we've had terrible luck with movies. For some reason we almost always end up sitting in front of, beside, or behind total idiots who have no clue how to act inside of a movie theater.

The movie starts...wow we're saved. No idiots to be found. No sooner than we thought this to each other, a gang of 4-5 extremely loud idiots cruised into the theater. Everyone shushed them but they continued talking loudly most likely not even realizing people were refering to them or just not caring because they're oh so important. Guess where they sit? RIGHT BEHIND US! Of all the empty seats in this huge theater....RIGHT BEHIND US! WHY?? WHY??

They continue talking and laughing obnoxiously and reeking of pot throughout the majority of the movie. Most everyone in the area around them, us included, asked them to be quiet more than once but they ignored everyone. There are certain people that talk during movies not realizing they are being loud and when asked to be quiet they do so and that is totally fine. The other kind respond by going out of their way to be louder and ruin the experience for everyone and there's really nothing that can be done short of complaining to a manager who wont do anything about it. At least not in this theater.

So the movie is over and everyone is noticeably pissed as they leave the theater. The idiots walk out and leave behind 2 empty bottles of Jack Daniels. That explains a lot.

That about sums it up. Not the worst experience of all time, no one was stabbed although I'm sure a lot of people felt like doing it. It was just very frustrating and annoying.

My girlfriend and I have thus decided to avoid going to horror movies and comedies (which attracts the dreaded form of idiot who has to repeat each joke out loud for it to be funny).

So what are your worst movie going experiences? Terrible? Bad? Slightly annoying? It doesn't matter, I want to hear about it.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:59 am
Post Re: Worst Movie-Going Experiences
Quantum of Solace. Gave me a really awful headache.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:19 am
When I was a kid I went to see the remake of Godzilla with a few friends. About midway through the film a guy a few rows in front of me answers a call from his cell phone. He tells the person calling him where he is and then actually proceeds to narrate what was occurring on screen. It was kind of surreal. He was sitting there describing what the monster did while providing color commentary: "Dude! He just destroyed the Chrysler Building! Awesome!" People were glaring at him. I'm sure that somebody went for an usher, though none ever came. Eventually he just got bored and put the phone away. Still, I think he did enough damage to the viewing experience in the twenty minutes he was on the phone to justify his place in this thread. The film was terrible anyway.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:30 am
Ratel wrote:
When I was a kid I went to see the remake of Godzilla with a few friends. About midway through the film a guy a few rows in front of me answers a call from his cell phone. He tells the person calling him where he is and then actually proceeds to narrate what was occurring on screen. It was kind of surreal. He was sitting there describing what the monster did while providing color commentary: "Dude! He just destroyed the Chrysler Building! Awesome!" People were glaring at him. I'm sure that somebody went for an usher, though none ever came. Eventually he just got bored and put the phone away. Still, I think he did enough damage to the viewing experience in the twenty minutes he was on the phone. The film was terrible anyway.

Oh my god...that's absolutely incredible...how could anyone in their right mind think that was an acceptable thing to do? Hahah wow, I feel fortunate I haven't encountered any of those types in my theater travels...yet. Unbelievable.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:34 am
Hannibal Rising. 1. The movie was crap 2. Hormonal, giggling teens using the screen on their mobile phones as torches.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:59 am
The Strangers.

The theater was filled with frats talking through it and hating it. Then when the movie was over one of them said "Do not clap for the crappy movie." I almost clapped, I would probably got into a fight but so be it.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:19 am
I lived in West Oakland for three years recently. Whilst most of the people are fantastic and it's culturally richer than anywhere else I've lived, it's also dangerous. For example, my next door neighbor was shot to death.

Going to to a multiplex cinema in Oakland can be problematic. I have seen the police called in several times to break up aggravation. I gave up going on weekend evenings to wide releases as groups of teens would regularly think nothing about shouting across the theater to friends. Talking, joking and texting amongsth themselves is the norm. The theaters have given up. You would also see groups of teens running from one theater to another.

I gave up as well. We stopped going to some theaters.

Now I'm in Marin and at the weekend in multiplexes on a wide release you've got the same issues but without the violence. Kids literally chatting away, texting, running from screen to screen and the theater doing absolutely nothing. I took my son to see Mall Cop and it was a complete zoo.

The funniest? I was at Emeryville Bay St AMC 16. I can't remember the film. However, the film started and we had the age old issue of the top of the film being at the bottom of the screen and vice versa. everyone started to shout and whistle, No answer. i went to find some help and was confronted by nothing but teens on terrible pay who had no clue. the manager finally appeared after about 3-4 minutes. He then spent another 5 minutes trying to fix it. We are now about 15 minutes into the film. No apologies, no starting the film again. I was not going to start a film 15 minutes in so we sought out the manahger again and were simply told that these issues were impossible to control.

I mentioned that I had been a projectionist and my method of control was to look at the screen and check the set up, gate, and sound was correct. Then the "projectionist" turned up. My guess was 18 years old and doing a shift off the popcorn machine for a night.

I don't think we've been back to the AMC at Emeryville. it's a shame because it's a superb multiplex with great sound systems etc.

Compare that with the Albany Twin near Berkeley. The manager walks down to the front of the theater before each show and thanks people for coming, asks them to turn off phones and wishes them a great show. Occasionally you'll even get some interesting comments about the film you're about to see. Round of applause always follows. Outside, the hanging letters always have some witty comment next to the title.

Rob

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:41 pm
While it didn't ruin the experience (fortunately) I do remember some talkative teens behind my friends and I when watching Return of the King.

Also, during my screening of Collateral, there was a small blob of some kind in the centre left of the screen, kind of a like a group of dead pixels. Luckily I was able to ignore it as I was sitting quite close and could focus on the right side of the screen.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:55 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Compare that with the Albany Twin near Berkeley. The manager walks down to the front of the theater before each show and thanks people for coming, asks them to turn off phones and wishes them a great show. Occasionally you'll even get some interesting comments about the film you're about to see. Round of applause always follows. Outside, the hanging letters always have some witty comment next to the title.

Rob

Wow that sounds great. I would love that type of theater experience, although I'm not likely to get it where I am now. Time to travel.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:36 pm
Scenic Reviewer wrote:
While it didn't ruin the experience (fortunately) I do remember some talkative teens behind my friends and I when watching Return of the King.

Also, during my screening of Collateral, there was a small blob of some kind in the centre left of the screen, kind of a like a group of dead pixels. Luckily I was able to ignore it as I was sitting quite close and could focus on the right side of the screen.

That's always really annoying. Whenever things like that pop up on the screen I can't help but focus on them. I wish I could ignore them.

During the midnight screening of The Two Towers I noticed this heat shimmer in the upper left corner of the screen and I couldn't help but watch it as it slowly got more intense. Finally at about 2:30am a little over 2 hours into the movie....ffftp...projector overheated and apparently nothing could be done so everyone had to leave. We all came back the next day with our free tickets but still...a disappointment.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:43 pm
I usually get annoyed by very,very small noises, like when people chew popcorn to loudly, it really gets to me, and holds me back from fully enjoying the movie.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:07 pm
My worst theater viewing was definitely Spider-man 3.

There's nothing quite like seeing a terrible movie in a packed theater. You could actually feel the mood slide from tense excitement to defeated disappointment.

It also didn't help that the guy sitting next to me apparently hadn't showered in about a month.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:30 pm
I can't really recall the last time I had a good Cinema experience. There is always something technically wrong (usually poor focus but sometimes bad framing, dim projection, too loud, or blown speakers) and there is always at least one other patron with bad movie etiquette. For me to see a film in the theatre, I have to be totally excited about its release otherwise it can wait for a superior viewing at home.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:36 pm
X-Men III. Rubbish film made worse by havingto watch it in a cinema where the air-con had broken down and in which there were a bunch of chavs (street punks) drinking beer and yelling a lot.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:42 pm
I'm going to describe a situation just to see you guys point of view.

While I do hate to hear people talking/ answering phones in standard movie going affair, I have done the following before. Every year when a certain movie comes out, such as the next saw, or snakes on a plane, or something to that effect, my friends and I will get absolutely piss drunk hammered and go to the movie for the "experience." Now I can promise you, during these times, no one has told us to shut up while most even laugh at us more than the movie and even edge us on. Hell, most of the others were probably just as plowed as we were.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:53 pm
baz1701 wrote:
X-Men III. Rubbish film made worse by havingto watch it in a cinema where the air-con had broken down and in which there were a bunch of chavs (street punks) drinking beer and yelling a lot.

This is a little off topic, but I have a question for you:

I am 14 and lived in London from the time I was 1 until I was 6. When I was 6, my family moved to New Jersey. No English accent for me, unfortunately. Anyway, since I have moved away, I have always been wanting to go back,and have basically been obsessed with England. The term "Chav", by saying punks, when I have heard it used, it has been referring to people like Ali G in Da Ali G Show. Is that a good example?

I know it's a weird question, but I have been dying to know.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:57 pm
Chav is actually an acronym meaning Council Housed And Vile.

It relates to youths who act anti socially, smoke dope and get drunk in public, try to start fights and rob people. Ali G is actually a good example of what a chav is like, how they speak and act, and all that.

Last edited by baz1701 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:01 pm
baz1701 wrote:
Chav is actually an acronym meaning Council Housed And Vile.

It relates to youths who act anti socially, smoke dope and get drunk in public, try to start fights and rob people.

If I'm correct, it's the type who wear adidas clothes and jumpsuits and chains, usually white?

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:02 pm
That's right. If you spot one, run a mile :)

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:03 pm
hahaha, Ummm, We call those people goombah, guido douchers!!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:04 pm