Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:16 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Most dull, uninvolving, agonizing film you ever sat through 
Post Re: Most dull, uninvolving, agonizing film you ever sat through
Pathfinder.

That film was nothing more than a by the numbers list of film cliches. It is the only film in 35 years i have walked out on.

(I did manage to fall asleep during two different Harry Potter films. Does that count?)

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:19 pm
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Count me in for Tranformers 2 as well. I can't believe so many people my age love this movie, it's an absolute travesty and unbearning boring. Atleast the first movie did an alright job being fairly engaging and interesting, with a plotline that made more sense than this abortion. I saw it in the theaters sadly enough, and people actually clapped after it was over - I was shocked.

Agreed. Given its goals, the first Transformers was a reasonable success. I kind of liked it. On the other hand, the sequel is pretty bad. Btw corpen, Patrick is right. The only time Transformers 2 was mildly interesting was during the last half hour. It probably started just after you walked out.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:40 pm
Critic

ed_metal_head wrote:
Agreed. Given its goals, the first Transformers was a reasonable success. I kind of liked it.

I don't really understand what was defensible about the first one for a person who didn't like the second.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:14 pm
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Count me in for Tranformers 2 as well. I can't believe so many people my age love this movie, it's an absolute travesty and unbearning boring. Atleast the first movie did an alright job being fairly engaging and interesting, with a plotline that made more sense than this abortion. I saw it in the theaters sadly enough, and people actually clapped after it was over - I was shocked.

Agreed. Given its goals, the first Transformers was a reasonable success. I kind of liked it. On the other hand, the sequel is pretty bad. Btw corpen, Patrick is right. The only time Transformers 2 was mildly interesting was during the last half hour. It probably started just after you walked out.

I rewatched the film on DVD last month, I still didn't feel a thing.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:16 pm
Profile YIM
JamesKunz wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Agreed. Given its goals, the first Transformers was a reasonable success. I kind of liked it.

I don't really understand what was defensible about the first one for a person who didn't like the second.

I just simply enjoyed the first one. I didn't enjoy the second one at all really. It was dumber, the storyline in the first at least made sense, the special effects were fresh in the first so it had that sense of awe the first time I saw it (being a minor Transformers fan), the beginning sequence was outstanding if you ask me, there's just plenty of reasons to like the first over the second. Even Ebert liked the first and hated the second.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:22 pm
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:

Which were about the equivalent of trying to get a child to blink... :P

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:50 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Perhaps you should look at the second one and see. The first was a decent adaptation of a popular children's cartoon. It was always going to be action oriented, no matter who the director was. Sure, things were dumber with Michael Bay at the helm, but no-one could turn the limited source material into a classic tale. Despite its limitations, the first film was fun when shit blew up.

On the other hand, I found the sequel somewhat offensive. Even worse, it was boring. The little action that made the first film is only present in the last 20 minutes or so, and even then there's so much going on that things get confusing.

For what it's worth, the original film has a 68% positive rating with the "top critics" at Rottentomatoes, while the sequel's positive rating is 17%.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Critic

ed_metal_head wrote:
Perhaps you should look at the second one and see. The first was a decent adaptation of a popular children's cartoon. It was always going to be action oriented, no matter who the director was. Sure, things were dumber with Michael Bay at the helm, but no-one could turn the limited source material into a classic tale. Despite its limitations, the first film was fun when shit blew up.

No thanks. I hated the first one. *1/2 stars. Overlong, tedious, and with terribly boring action sequences (with the exception of the initial one with the soldiers vs. the scorpion, which actually could be followed by a viewer) that somehow expected me to care for CGI metal robots. I liked The Island so I went into that movie on a wave of Michael Bay love, or at least tolerance, and came out angry and hateful.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:25 pm
Eisenstein.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:32 am
moulton4 wrote:
Eisenstein.

Isn't that a guy?

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:12 am
Sorry to have bought back the memories of the misery of TF2
Rob

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:40 am
Critic

moulton4 wrote:
Eisenstein.

I can see where you're coming from--I found Strike really boring--but Battleship Potemkin deserves all the accolades its gotten and didn't put me to sleep.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:32 am
Director

Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

No Rob. We have to remind ourselves about the evils in the world and never look the other way.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:03 pm
Profile YIM
eXterminus wrote:
(I did manage to fall asleep during two different Harry Potter films. Does that count?)

Were they the first two? ;)

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:40 pm
corpen11 wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

No Rob. We have to remind ourselves about the evils in the world and never look the other way.

The weird thing about Transformers 2 is that no matter how much I would love to stop hearing about it I can't escape people telling me how awful it is. At any given opportunity there is someone to say "Well, at least ________ wasn't as bad as Transformers 2!" It's almost as if the movie, which was probably just as bad as everyone felt, is also the movie people want to let others know they saw. A way of putting one's taste on a big, bright bumper sticker. You know, "At least I didn't like Transformers 2!" or that sort of thing.

Disliking Transformers 2 means, perhaps, this one thing: your tastes are at least mediocre. So, for those who disliked Transformers 2: congratulations! I'd like to believe, however, that someone out there who genuinely liked the movie (anyone?) had genuinely good reasons for liking it. It's the age old question: why go see a movie that you actively hope will be bad? What does it prove?

Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 am
majoraphasia wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

The weird thing about Transformers 2 is that no matter how much I would love to stop hearing about it I can't escape people telling me how awful it is. At any given opportunity there is someone to say "Well, at least ________ wasn't as bad as Transformers 2!" It's almost as if the movie, which was probably just as bad as everyone felt, is also the movie people want to let others know they saw. A way of putting one's taste on a big, bright bumper sticker. You know, "At least I didn't like Transformers 2!" or that sort of thing.

Disliking Transformers 2 means, perhaps, this one thing: your tastes are at least mediocre. So, for those who disliked Transformers 2: congratulations! I'd like to believe, however, that someone out there who genuinely liked the movie (anyone?) had genuinely good reasons for liking it. It's the age old question: why go see a movie that you actively hope will be bad? What does it prove?
I genuinely enjoyed Transformers 2, but what exactly are your definitions of genuninely good reasons for liking that type of film? Cause for most summer blockbusters, it's kind of hard for me to go into great detail about exactly why I like them, the film just happened to appeal to me very well, and I didn't mind the thin plot much at all, as plot is pretty much the LAST thing I expect in a summer blockbuster film.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:01 am
Vexer wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

I genuinely enjoyed Transformers 2, but what exactly are your definitions of genuninely good reasons for liking that type of film? Cause for most summer blockbusters, it's kind of hard for me to go into great detail about exactly why I like them, the film just happened to appeal to me very well, and I didn't mind the thin plot much at all, as plot is pretty much the LAST thing I expect in a summer blockbuster film.

Your reasons, for example, are genuinely good. One doesn't go into the circus and walk out complaining that they didn't see Shakespeare, after all. Also difficult to know is why anything, no less a summer blockbuster, is appealing; in the case of entertainment it doesn't amount to a list of intellectual responses. There's always a visceral response that takes precedent over a movie's plausibility. That isn't to say that a movie can't be deconstructed after the fact and exposed for being somewhat flimsy. Up In The Air seems to be enduring some of this deconstruction.

This is all a way of saying the following: walking into Transformers 2 expecting Transformers 2 is probably the smartest thing you can do if you plan on seeing the film. As much as I'd like it for people to flock out to see A Serious Man, there isn't much to apologize for if you're going to see Transformers 2. The aim of both movies is to entertain but only one aims to do it with robots. It probably doesn't strive for great art (the robot movie, that is) and so shouldn't be surprising if it doesn't end up being great art. It probably ends up being enjoyable on its own, loud terms.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:36 am
Critic

Vexer wrote:
the film just happened to appeal to me very well, and I didn't mind the thin plot much at all, as plot is pretty much the LAST thing I expect in a summer blockbuster film

I despise this mentality, and can't understand how people can feel this way. Raiders of the Lost Ark had a plot. Avatar had a plot. Jaws had a plot. Hell even The Island had a plot. It's not as if once your budget gets over X amount of dollars you have to abandon the idea of storytelling. Movies are far more interesting when they wed images to a storyline. That's not just a high-falutin' theory that critics espouse: it's true. Star Wars would never have generated the cult around it that it did had it not told an engaging (albeit simple) story.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:16 am
JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:
the film just happened to appeal to me very well, and I didn't mind the thin plot much at all, as plot is pretty much the LAST thing I expect in a summer blockbuster film

I despise this mentality, and can't understand how people can feel this way. Raiders of the Lost Ark had a plot. Avatar had a plot. Jaws had a plot. Hell even The Island had a plot. It's not as if once your budget gets over X amount of dollars you have to abandon the idea of storytelling. Movies are far more interesting when they wed images to a storyline. That's not just a high-falutin' theory that critics espouse: it's true. Star Wars would never have generated the cult around it that it did had it not told an engaging (albeit simple) story.
Um, did I say ever that all summer blockbusters didn't have a plot? NOOOO I simply said that a plot was last thing I expected them to have, if they actually do have a compelling plot then that's great and everything but it's necessary for me, guess what i should've said was, in most blockbuster, plot is the LAST thing I care about, however that does not mean that i cn't truly appreciate a compelling storyline if there is one, it just means that I don't need much of story to enjoy a mindless film such as Transformers 2.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:40 pm
majoraphasia wrote:

I know yours wasn't a blanket statement that was meant to apply to everyone. However, I still feel compelled to point out that quite a few of us liked or kind-of liked the first one.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:54 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next