Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:04 am

Worst experience in a theater 
Post Re: Worst experience in a theater
Ken wrote:
In general, open cell phones have replaced ringing phones or phone conversations as the primary phone-related theatrical nuisance. The reason the theater is dark is so you can direct your focus on the screen. Having someone waggling a bright light at the edge of your vision is a guaranteed distraction.

Specifically, during a screening of From Hell (I know, I know, bad enough already), some guy up in the nosebleed section started beating up his girlfriend during the end credits. That was pretty bad, though management gave everybody coupons for free candy upon their next visit.
I don't really open cellphones, mainly because the theaters I go to have stadium seating seating, so if somebody infront of me is texting or something I don't notice it, plus they don't get completely darkened, the lights get just get dimmed very low.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:39 pm
Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:
In general, open cell phones have replaced ringing phones or phone conversations as the primary phone-related theatrical nuisance. The reason the theater is dark is so you can direct your focus on the screen. Having someone waggling a bright light at the edge of your vision is a guaranteed distraction.

Specifically, during a screening of From Hell (I know, I know, bad enough already), some guy up in the nosebleed section started beating up his girlfriend during the end credits. That was pretty bad, though management gave everybody coupons for free candy upon their next visit.
I don't really open cellphones, mainly because the theaters I go to have stadium seating seating, so if somebody infront of me is texting or something I don't notice it, plus they don't get completely darkened, the lights get just get dimmed very low.

I can't not notice it.
The color of light from a cellphone is different than that of a movie. It is brighter and bluish/white-er than anything that is ever on the screen, so it always immediately draws my attention and there is kind of a bloom effect that makes it impossible to ignore. Not sure if that is just my contacts.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:36 am
Trevor wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:

I can't not notice it.
The color of light from a cellphone is different than that of a movie. It is brighter and bluish/white-er than anything that is ever on the screen, so it always immediately draws my attention and there is kind of a bloom effect that makes it impossible to ignore. Not sure if that is just my contacts.
Just curious, does your theater have stadium seating? Mine does and because of the seating it's easy to not notice anybody in fornt of you if your starring straight at the screen,because everyone in front of you will be directly below your line of sight, so you won't notice any cellphone lights regardless of how bright they are, course it also helps that i'm usually so focused on the film itself that I barely notice anything else in the theater.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:06 am
Vexer wrote:
Trevor wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I can't not notice it.
Just curious, does your theater have stadium seating? Mine does and because of the seating it's easy to not notice anybody in fornt of you if your starring straight at the screen,because everyone in front of you will be directly below your line of sight, so you won't notice any cellphone lights regardless of how bright they are, course it also helps that i'm usually so focused on the film itself that I barely notice anything else in the theater.

I was referring to any time I see cellphones--sometimes with stadium seating, sometimes not.
I don't have to have a clear, full view of the phone for it to intrude on my view. The glow is way brighter than the screen because of the light quality as I mentioned, and even a sliver of a screen being visible to me, even if it is not directly in front of me (lower down in stadium seating for instance) distracts me to the point that I cannot take my mind off it.
I usually solve the problem by moving to a part of the theater where the screen/glow from the screen cannot be seen at all.
If I can't do that I notify a theater employee.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:38 am
Really? I've never noticed that, I guess tha'ts because I always sit around the middle aisle, which is close enough that light form the screen coers up any other light sources, and also becase the theater slights aren't turned all the way off, cellphones don't stick out like a sore thumb like they would in a completely darkened theater.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:15 am
Patrick wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
I agree that critics should never walk out of a film, unless they are man or woman enough to admit it. Even if I did sit thru the end, it wouldn't hjave made a chage in my review. If a film doesn't try put involve the crowd in its story, then don't expect me be care. I sat thru Old Dogs online- to the very end- and I still didn't like it. Critics shouldn't walk out of movies, but if they admit it, then all could be forgiven.

Ask Roger Ebert when he gave some movie...I forgot what, I think it was called True Blue or something similar, one star for the first eight minutes cause he turned it off(It was a screener) which he did admit. And he got a load of shit for it so I guess it's a damn if you do or damn if you don't situation.

Then again, I don't think anybody cared when Siskel walked out of Black Sheep. But I think that's cause Siskel was much more awesome than Ebert anyways.

Ebert got what he deserved. You don't review a movie based on the first few minutes. If he had given the film something akin to "Not Rated - Walked Out/Turned Off" then it would have made sense.

And yes, Siskel was awesome.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:58 pm
Director

When I saw "Syriana," I sat a couple seats away from an older couple who were usually trying to figure out (ALOUD) what was happening. 'Why did he do that?' 'What's he going to do, kill himself?' :roll:

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:47 am
Patrick will probably want to kill me if I keep this up, but this thread should probably be merged with this one:
http://reelviews.net/reelviewsforum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=197

Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:23 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Patrick will probably want to kill me if I keep this up, but this thread should probably be merged with this one:
http://reelviews.net/reelviewsforum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=197

Wow....so it did exist. And it even follows the same structure with that thread with an interlude about chavs and this thread interlude about seeing all of the movie before you can have an opinion.

And I won't kill you ed, just ban you.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:32 am
About ten years ago, I went to see "The Insider" and there was a guy whose cell phone was ringing every five minutes. What made this a particularly frustrating experience was that the guy with the phone obviously didn't want to answer that particular call, as he was hanging up after a few seconds, but for some unknown reason he didn't turn off his cell. After the tenth time(!!!) it started ringing he was verbally assaulted by the other patrons and forced to leave the theater.

My personal worse experience though was with "Dancer in the Dark", I had to walk out after 30 minutes because I became nauseous.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:58 pm
I'm updating this thread since I once wrote about all my curious/funny/awful experiences in a cinema. I was just remembering it, so here goes...

One of the worst was years ago; I went to watch The Faculty with a friend and two other girls... who were painfully unattractive. Being 15 year-olds, they were there just to gawk at Elijah Wood. So they spent the entire movie yelling and swooning and moaning "I love you" and "So cute" whenever Frodo Baggins walked onscreen. They were making such a ruckus, like overexcited hyenas, people started to glare at us, and I felt embarrassed... and then I noticed that three of my cousins were sitting a couple of seats away, staring at me like they didn't know whether to be pissed at the noise or laughing at the fact I was on a double date with two screeching trolls.

I watched Lions for Lambs with nausea and a high fever, not a good state to be in when you're watching a dialogue-heavy political propaganda piece... 90 minutes felt like three hours.

One time a friend wanted to go to the movies at this far-away theater. I didn't want to go out, but I still dragged my ass a long distance only to get there and see him all snuggly with his new girlfriend, and I was stuck playing fiddle to them (I loathe being a third wheel). Since they could tell I was ticked off, they let me pick the movie. I chose Ravenous, had a blast with the movie and enjoyed the fact that they were so shocked and disgusted they couldn't even hold hands. Revenge was sweet.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:10 am
Director

When I went to see The Ring, this one douchebag sitting a row over from me had a cell phone which kept going off. And he kept answering it. I (and several others) kept glaring at him, hoping he'd get the message. He didn't.

Last September I go to see The Town. I put my cell phone on vibrate as I always do when I go to a movie. At one point it rings (vibrates). I go outside the theater, answer the call and go back inside to watch the movie. At one point another guy's cell phones goes off playing some Toby Keith song. He answers it right there in the damn theater and doesn't even whisper.

At times I fantasize about what Christopher Moltisanti from The Sopranos would do to a guy on a cell phone in a movie theater.

Chris: You trying to interfere with my enjoyment of the movie f***head?
BANG!

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:28 pm
When I saw Saving Private Ryan I was sitting in front of this couple. He was talking to his wife during almost all of the D-Day beach storming scene. I was so pissed I was almost white-hot with rage. A half-second before I wheeled around to give him the STFU, I started to overhear what the guy was saying. He was explaining to his wife how the boats worked and why they had no armor support for the landing. This guy was describing some of the details to his wife in a way that convinced me he was there, then. My anger left me in a flash and turned to shame as I peeked over my shoulder to see/confirm that this was a fairly old couple. He apologized for talking and I turned back to the screen and didn't say anything. He didn't talk any more after that.

This guy was THERE and I shut him up with just a look. If only I'd have said, "No problem, sir" or acknowledged in some way that he was more worthy of talking during this movie than anyone I'd ever met...
I feel horrible even thinking about it.
That was my worst theater experience. It was all my fault.

>>

added later,
I thought I should add that this was a mostly empty theater(small town USA) late in the movie's release run.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:21 pm