Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Worst experience in a theater 
Post Worst experience in a theater
Hey just wondering, what are yourown personal worst movie-going experience(s)? For some reason I love reading about other people's bad experiences at the theater, maybe because it's gratifying to know that your own experiences could've been a whole lot worse then they were I remember reading a long list of them on the A.V. Club, it was amazing how many bad experiences were caused by ringing cellphones.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:10 pm
Post Re: Worst experience in a theater
Huh, I thought made this topic already but I guess I just only made the best movie going experiences....and I'm moving this to the lists section

Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:28 pm
My most recent one was during Up on opening night. I was sitting next to a little kid and I think they said "What is happening mom" every 5 seconds. And they whined... and whined... you get the point. I couldn't pay attention to the movie at all. I didn't enjoy it and it made me not like the movie as much as I did when I watched it on blu-ray when it came out.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:03 pm
Geez, I feel for you man, I generally avoid seeing animated films(or any movies marketed as "family" films for that matter) in theaters, so I can avoid experiences like that. If I were you though, I would've most likely snapped at that kid as I get irritated easily and I don't like being around kids very much.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:14 pm
Alright, here's my horror story. It was the opening day of The Strangers. The theater was populated by frat-boys and morons who pretty much made a ruckus and loudly expressed their dislike. At the end, they were going "Don't clap for the shitty movie." I almost did...I'm sure violence would've happened if I did but yeah...the end.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:27 pm
Frat boys at The Strangers eh? That's kinda surprising as it dosen't seem like the type of film that would attract them, I know it certainly didn't interest me one bit.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:11 pm
This happened to me years ago (can't remember which movie). A mother brought two young children (a toddler and an infant) with her into the theater. The baby kept crying and this woman changed the baby's diaper INSIDE the movie theater. Babies are cute but the smell of baby poop mixed with the smell of popcorn is nauseating.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:47 pm
Director

My experience was in October at a college theater when they showed Transformers 2. Nothing in the film was exciting or funny ,but the audience was laughing, hooping and hollering at everyting the movie showed; even at the dog humping scene. I had to walk out with about 45-60 minutes left in the film. Damn you, Michael Bay. :evil:

Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:38 pm
Profile YIM
Vexer wrote:
Frat boys at The Strangers eh? That's kinda surprising as it dosen't seem like the type of film that would attract them, I know it certainly didn't interest me one bit.

I'm not sure if they actually were, I just said that since they acted like stereotypical frat boys.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:41 pm
Strangely I haven't had any film-going experiences that were truly awful but I was kind of annoyed when I went to go see Up this past summer and this woman sitting next to me was going "Awww cute" like every ten seconds (usually whenever Dug would say something). That was kinda irksome. On the other hand, I usually rent movies more than I attend them in the theaters. I tend to be more annoyed when I'm at home watching something with my parents (or other family members) and they won't shut up and let me hear the movie!

Last edited by oafolay on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:06 pm
corpen11 wrote:
My experience was in October at a college theater when they showed Transformers 2. Nothing in the film was exciting or funny ,but the audience was laughing, hooping and hollering at everyting the movie showed; even at the dog humping scene. I had to walk out with about 45-60 minutes left in the film. Damn you, Michael Bay. :evil:
Well what was your worst experience that didn't involve the movie itself being bad? Did you ever experience things like people talking on their cellphones, or talking over almost the entire film, etc. And i'm curious to know-why did you even bother going to Transformers 2 in the first place? Since you hate Bay so much it dosen't really make sense to go see one of his films that you know you're going to hate, if you know you're not going to like a film then don't see it, even if it is free you'll still be wasting your time.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:28 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
Well what was your worst experience that didn't involve the movie itself being bad? Did you ever experience things like people talking on their cellphones, or talking over almost the entire film, etc. And i'm curious to know-why did you even bother going to Transformers 2 in the first place? Since you hate Bay so much it dosen't really make sense to go see one of his films that you know you're going to hate, if you know you're not going to like a film then don't see it, even if it is free you'll still be wasting your time.

I went to TF:2 with an open mind since I liked the first film, but the movie was 150 minuets of loud, incoherent action, boring characters and awful writing. They didn't even try to give a plot or a story to this movie. Literally one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:20 am
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
corpen11 wrote:

I went to TF:2 with an open mind since I liked the first film, but the movie was 150 minuets of loud, incoherent action, boring characters and awful writing. They didn't even try to give a plot or a story to this movie. Literally one of the worst films I've ever seen.

I told you this before but you walked out when it was starting to stop sucking. I can claim that Withnail and I is one of the most boring movies I ever seen but I turned it off about halfway through so I don't make that claim.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:23 am
corpen11 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
corpen11 wrote:

How can you make those claims when you didn't see the whole film? How can you expect people to take you seriously if you review films without even finishing them? And like Patrick said, you missed the best parts of the film anyways, so why don't you go and finish the film? You can always use a torrent to see it if you don't want to pay for it or anything.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:49 am
Vexer wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

How can you make those claims when you didn't see the whole film? How can you expect people to take you seriously if you review films without even finishing them? And like Patrick said, you missed the best parts of the film anyways, so why don't you go and finish the film? You can always use a torrent to see it if you don't want to pay for it or anything.

I generally hate it when people rip on a movie without watching all of it, but I have to agree with his assessment even though he didn't see the end. It was pretty incoherent, boring, and awfully written.

What he may have missed was the somewhat interesting mythology regarding the ancient transformers on Earth. That part was kind of cool, but there was so little of it included in the movie that it really just made me more upset at the movie for brushing over the only interesting part of the entire plot.

So on principle I agree with you Vexer, yet I entirely agree with his view of the film even though he didn't see it all.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:22 am
sheryl wrote:
This happened to me years ago (can't remember which movie). A mother brought two young children (a toddler and an infant) with her into the theater. The baby kept crying and this woman changed the baby's diaper INSIDE the movie theater. Babies are cute but the smell of baby poop mixed with the smell of popcorn is nauseating.

That image in my head is nauseating. I'm truly sorry that you ever had to go through something like that!

Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 am
I've been mostly fortunate. Cloverfield made me nauseous, but I can't blame that on the theater. I guess my worst experience would be for the movie Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland. The film was totally sold out and when my cousin and I returned from buying popcorn we found two little girls in our seats who absolutely refused to move. We had to go and call an usher and even then they didn't leave immediately. The whole event was somewhat embarrassing. Mind you, I was about 10 years old at the time.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:48 pm
Director

I agree that critics should never walk out of a film, unless they are man or woman enough to admit it. Even if I did sit thru the end, it wouldn't hjave made a chage in my review. If a film doesn't try put involve the crowd in its story, then don't expect me be care. I sat thru Old Dogs online- to the very end- and I still didn't like it. Critics shouldn't walk out of movies, but if they admit it, then all could be forgiven.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:46 pm
Profile YIM
In general, open cell phones have replaced ringing phones or phone conversations as the primary phone-related theatrical nuisance. The reason the theater is dark is so you can direct your focus on the screen. Having someone waggling a bright light at the edge of your vision is a guaranteed distraction.

Specifically, during a screening of From Hell (I know, I know, bad enough already), some guy up in the nosebleed section started beating up his girlfriend during the end credits. That was pretty bad, though management gave everybody coupons for free candy upon their next visit.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:41 pm
corpen11 wrote:
I agree that critics should never walk out of a film, unless they are man or woman enough to admit it. Even if I did sit thru the end, it wouldn't hjave made a chage in my review. If a film doesn't try put involve the crowd in its story, then don't expect me be care. I sat thru Old Dogs online- to the very end- and I still didn't like it. Critics shouldn't walk out of movies, but if they admit it, then all could be forgiven.

Ask Roger Ebert when he gave some movie...I forgot what, I think it was called True Blue or something similar, one star for the first eight minutes cause he turned it off(It was a screener) which he did admit. And he got a load of shit for it so I guess it's a damn if you do or damn if you don't situation.

Then again, I don't think anybody cared when Siskel walked out of Black Sheep. But I think that's cause Siskel was much more awesome than Ebert anyways.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:22 pm