8. 21 Grams
7. Lost in Translation
6. Munich
5. The Dark Knight
4. The Departed
3. Memento
2. Requiem for a Dream
1. Lord of the Rings

Basically I just cut and pasted from his top 100 list except for the last 3.

Other 4 star films from the 2000's:
Cast Away, Doubt, He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not, In the Bedroom, Lilya 4-Ever, Maria, Full of Grace, The Princess and the Warrior, United 93, Avatar?

Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:33 pm
Post Re: James Top Ten of the Decade...
Except for the last three Trevor has got it pretty much set.
For me the last three are debatable, which is really the only place where conversation on this thread will go.

I think the final three will between Minority Report, United 93, Maria Full of Grace, Doubt, 21 Grams & Cast Away. I don't quite know about Inglourious Basterds, James said himself that he doesn't know if it will make his top ten for this decade. I also don't know how Avatar will fare since I have yet to see whether its a four-star review (which I am guessing it is) and whether he places it higher then Inglourious Basterds on his top ten of 2009.

What I do know is that James' twenty notable films of the decade will include these:

Cast Away (2000)
Requiem for a Dream (2000)
Lord of the Rings, The: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
Memento (2000)
In the Bedroom (2001)
Princess and the Warrior, The (2000)
Lord of the Rings, The: The Two Towers (2002)
Minority Report (2002)
Lilya 4-Ever (2002)
Lost in Translation (2003)
Lord of the Rings, The: The Return of the King (2003)
He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not (2002)
21 Grams (2003)
Maria, Full of Grace (2004)
Munich (2005)
Departed, The (2006)
United 93 (2006)
Batman: The Dark Knight (2008)
Doubt (2008)
Inglourious Basterds (2009)

And possibly Avatar (2009). Once you combine The Lord of the Rings Trilogy into one (as James does) that makes for 18 possibly 19 four-star films this decade. What I will find interesting is how he will fill in that final spot or two if he does what he did in the 1990's and list twenty films, the last ten being the other noteworthy films besides the top ten.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:39 am
Trevor wrote:
10. Inglourious Basterds
9. Minority Report
8. 21 Grams
7. Lost in Translation
6. Munich
5. The Dark Knight
4. The Departed
3. Memento
2. Requiem for a Dream
1. Lord of the Rings

Basically I just cut and pasted from his top 100 list except for the last 3.

Other 4 star films from the 2000's:
Cast Away, Doubt, He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not, In the Bedroom, Lilya 4-Ever, Maria, Full of Grace, The Princess and the Warrior, United 93, Avatar?

I think he should and will have Inglourious Basterds higher than tenth. I'm thinking he may have it as high as fourth.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:48 am
wisey wrote:
I think he should and will have Inglourious Basterds higher than tenth. I'm thinking he may have it as high as fourth.

Don't forget that James has a top 100 list with more then four films from the 2000's, none of which (so far) are Inglourious Basterds.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:43 pm
JJoshay wrote:
wisey wrote:

Don't forget that James has a top 100 list with more then four films from the 2000's, none of which (so far) are Inglourious Basterds.

I don't think it will be, but James doesn't add to his top 100 until the end of the year, so we can't say that IB can't be in the top 4.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:39 pm
Meatloaf wrote:
I don't think it will be, but James doesn't add to his top 100 until the end of the year, so we can't say that IB can't be in the top 4.

Don't forget, James himself said it may not be on the top ten of the decade.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:47 pm
1. The Lord of the Rings
2. Requiem for a Dream
3. Memento
4. The Departed
5. The Dark Knight
6. Munich
7. Lost in Translation
8. Maria Full of Grace
9. Minority Report
10. 21 Grams

Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:55 pm
Is anybody bold enough to place "Avatar" on that list?

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:49 pm
Awf Hand wrote:

I've just got back from viewing it. Seems a bit weird that James' isn't allowed to have a review up yet and the first screening (to the general public) in Australia has already happened. That doesn't happen much.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Anyways, I thought the special effects were mind blowing but the story and especially the dialogue didn't match them. In saying that though, I'd certainly give it four stars. The last half hour genuinely left me breathless. Doubt it will make the top 10 of the decade but it will certainly come close. I've never been to a cinema holding 800 people at 10.30 in the morning and having it half full. Look out box office!

Now back to the real world...

Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:45 pm
Awf Hand wrote:

Well, it seems that it is his #1 movie of 2009, so I would say it stands a chance.

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:17 pm
Producer

My prediction:

1. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
2. Requiem for a Dream
3. Memento
4. The Departed
5. The Dark Knight
6. Munich
7. Avatar
8. Lost in Translation
9. Minority Report
10. United 93

BTW, do we know exactly when James will put up his top 10 of the decade?

And will he put up a list of the best performances of the decade just like he did for the 90's?

Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:00 am
I hope so, I'm expecting something very similar to the retrospective of the 90's.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:13 pm
Meatloaf wrote:
JJoshay wrote:
wisey wrote:

Dude, if 'Inglorious Basterds' is in James' Top Five, he literally owes me a mental refund for reading the rest of his reviews from the decade and assembling a sensible top ten.

By the way, for all future (and present) 'Maria Full Of Grace' proponents; you might read what James posts, but seemingly you can't comprehend them. This movie is as far from a top ten lock as any four star film could possibly ever be.

Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:58 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Meatloaf wrote:
wisey wrote:

Dude, if 'Inglorious Basterds' is in James' Top Five, he literally owes me a mental refund for reading the rest of his reviews from the decade and assembling a sensible top ten.

By the way, for all future (and present) 'Maria Full Of Grace' proponents; you might read what James posts, but seemingly you can't comprehend them. This movie is as far from a top ten lock as any four star film could possibly ever be.

I agree the review indicates that Inglorious Basterds will not be in the top ten of the decade, its probably the least likely of all his four star reviews, read his review for Minority Report and read his review for IB and you will see what I mean.

Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:31 pm