Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:20 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Gimme your Top10 of the 00s: I'd like to collate our lists.. 
Critic

Post Re: Gimme your Top10 of the 00s: I'd like to collate our lists..
Well this last decade saw a return to "darkness" for Batman and James Bond, so perhaps Superman as well? I object merely because I think Superman is less enduring those the aforementioned characters: he should be remembered fondly, not resurrected.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:30 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I know you're a Superman fan, but this still really surprised me. I thought the film was decent, but nowhere as good as the original Superman film. How do you feel about the studio wanting to do another movie and making it "dark" ala Batman? Sounds like a dreadful idea to me.
Superman Returns is criminally underrated. I don't believe it's as good as the 1978 film either, but no film in the genre is.

As far as I know, the discussion of doing a dark take on the character hasn't amounted to anything. One thing you can always count on in the entertainment biz is that the guys in the suits will try to ape the most superficial qualities of the latest big success. The Dark Knight was dark and it made mad bank. The suits, in one of their many fine moments of critical thinking, decide that The Dark Knight must have succeeded because it was dark. The ardent fans, who are equally adept at critical thinking, decide that the reason it drew them in so deeply was also because it was dark. And so on. Forget themes, characters, intelligence, excitement, and emotion--that sumbitch had better be dark. Real dark.

The fervor over The Dark Knight has largely faded, and I assume all traces of it will be well swept away by the time Warners decides to warm up another Superman idea.

JamesKunz wrote:
Well this last decade saw a return to "darkness" for Batman and James Bond, so perhaps Superman as well? I object merely because I think Superman is less enduring those the aforementioned characters: he should be remembered fondly, not resurrected.
Hogwash. Superman is one of the quintessential elements of popular culture. Go anywhere in the world and show somebody the "S" shield, and they'll have at least a basic understanding of what it means.

James Bond and Batman are great characters, but I'd argue that they aren't enduring, so much as they're creatures of fashion.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:08 pm
Critic

Hmmmm James Bond has 22 films and counting, Batman has 8 and another is almost certainly on the way, and Superman has 5 and a dead franchise. It doesn't seem like "hogwash" to suggest that perhaps he's the least loved of the three. Especially on a completely subjective subject.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:14 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Hmmmm James Bond has 22 films and counting, Batman has 8 and another is almost certainly on the way, and Superman has 5 and a dead franchise. It doesn't seem like "hogwash" to suggest that perhaps he's the least loved of the three. Especially on a completely subjective subject.
For one thing, you didn't say "least loved." You said "less enduring." For both Superman and Batman, you don't get to focus on the recent developments and leave off everything else. Both characters are in their 70th decade. Batman's popularity at the movies for the last few years, and a stretch of about six years or so before that, doesn't begin to encompass the situation, which includes a very long period of fun but largely irrelevant adventures.

(After a few good years at the beginning of his existence, the creation of the Comics Code Authority guidelines essentially pushed Batman to the margins until the 1970s, unless you count his stint on TV in the '60s. Sure, the kids liked the comics, but he was a much, much different character, which doesn't speak well for the argument that he has endured. Perhaps the name and the costume have endured, but not the character.)

For another, neither Batman nor Superman are quintessentially movie characters, so it isn't proper to judge them solely on the basis of their films. Consider not only the comics, but the myriad other media in which the characters have appeared. Though on the subject of film adaptations, let's point out that while Batman has more, the number of quality films is far more equitable. And you might also argue, by your rationale, that Spider-Man isn't enduring or loved at all... why, he only has three movies!

Bond, I guess, is more of a movie character than a book character at this point, but the idea of Bond as enduring can be charitably described as shaky. The franchise has had to be rescued from the jaws of irrelevance at least a few times now, and Bond doesn't even have as many years under his belt as the other two characters.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:57 pm
Critic

All fair points, especially how I shouldn't view Superman and Batman exclusively as movie characters. When you actually express viewpoints instead of deriding your opponent's, it makes it much more likely your opponent will see your side instead of getting offended and/or hostile.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:44 am
Whoops, seems I'm too late.

Oh well, I'll still put my list on here in case there's a recount. Reposted from the Favorite Movies of the 2000s thread (with some tweaks):

1. Children of Men (2006)
2. Master and Commander (2003)
3. Almost Famous (2000)
4. The Dark Knight (2008)
5. Serenity (2005)
6. Return of the King (2003)
7. The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
8. Michael Clayton (2007)
9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
10. 3:10 to Yuma (this spot is a bit of a revolving door, and very well may give way to Avatar or Up in the Air or some other as-yet-unseen gem).

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:34 pm
Also, I think breaking the franchise tie the way you did (3 points to each movie if LOTR is places at #2) is just punishing the people who you can't actually punch in the face. More honest would be to give each of them 9 points and then give 0 points to their #9 and #10 finishers.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:39 pm
Critic

Bones wrote:
Also, I think breaking the franchise tie the way you did (3 points to each movie if LOTR is places at #2) is just punishing the people who you can't actually punch in the face. More honest would be to give each of them 9 points and then give 0 points to their #9 and #10 finishers.

I disagree. Doing things your way allows people to cheat the system. Taken to its logical extreme, your point of view means that people could have not bothered listing numbers at all and said "they're all in a tie for number 1" and I would have had to give them all 14 points. If you want three movies in the 2 spot, they split the points. I didn't do this to be punitive, but to be fair.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:48 pm
James, perhaps you should have a recount at the end of the decade since a couple lists have come in after the deadline. It'll probably change things.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:11 pm
Critic

Absolutely--I'm fervently hoping that by the weekend I'll be itching to add Avatar to my list

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:28 pm
Bones wrote:
Whoops, seems I'm too late.

Oh well, I'll still put my list on here in case there's a recount.
Hahaha. That would be appropriate. One of the first major historical events of the 2000s was a certain hotly contested recount.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:33 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Bones wrote:

I disagree. Doing things your way allows people to cheat the system. Taken to its logical extreme, your point of view means that people could have not bothered listing numbers at all and said "they're all in a tie for number 1" and I would have had to give them all 14 points. If you want three movies in the 2 spot, they split the points. I didn't do this to be punitive, but to be fair.

But then a movie that person thinks is second best gets 3 points, and a movie that person thinks is third best gets 5 more.

If there's three movies at the two spot, call them 2-4. That would be 24 points total. Split those points to give each movie eight. Then don't give any points to numbers 9-10. No systems gamed, only 10 movies get points.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:26 am
Critic

Bones wrote:
If there's three movies at the two spot, call them 2-4. That would be 24 points total. Split those points to give each movie eight. Then don't give any points to numbers 9-10. No systems gamed, only 10 movies get points.

Better yet, follow the actual rules of the post and then we don't have any problems. I don't think two or three movies should ever be counted as one film. I HATE when people who publish movie lists and list "The Godfather I and II" as the best movie of all time. It seems the apogee of ludicrousness that JB has "The Three Colors Trilogy" as one entry in his Top 100. You can disagree all you want, but since I wanted to make this ultimate Top 10 it actually seems just arrogant and annoying how many people would call the LOTR films 1 film despite the fact that I specifically asked them not to (though I could perhaps have worded it in a friendlier manner). If you go to another country, you follow their rules. I'm not going to accommodate people who decided to invent their own rules.

Your system still allows people to get around the entire point of the declining Top 10. If they pick "LOTR Trilogy" for the number 1 slot and I pick Requiem for a Dream, City of God, and Pan's Labyrinth, their Top 3 get 14 points each and mine get 14, 9, and 8. It prioritizes their picks over people's who actually followed the rules. The whole point of a Top 10, silly as it may be, is to pick the best film of the year/decade/century/what have you, not the best 3 that you decided to lump into one.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:10 am
Assistant Director

It appears to me several individuals here require a cookie and a nap. Better yet, I'll be sure to swing by and pour you all a big tall glass of calm-down juice. You're welcome.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:26 am
Critic

Thanks buddy. Got any chocolate chip?

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:21 pm
Or oatmeal raisin?

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:38 pm
Critic

Uh oh I just got my fight face back on...since I will go to the mat for chocolate chip over oatmeal raisin :D

Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:54 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Uh oh I just got my fight face back on...since I will go to the mat for chocolate chip over oatmeal raisin :D

I was just in the mood for oatmeal raisin :lol:

Last edited by JJoshay on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:04 am
Assistant Director

One thing these lists have taught me is I need to see The Descent.

Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:09 pm
Critic

Yes you really, really do. Best horror film in at least a decade. Go rent it!

Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:22 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next