Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Critics' (and other) Lists You'd Like to Share 
Post Re: Critics' (and other) Lists You'd Like to Share
ed_metal_head wrote:
Vexer wrote:

That's an interesting and rather arty link Vex. Thanks much for the share. This doesn't really seem to align with your tastes though. How is it that you read the site?

Well I don't usually agree with his lists(course I don't really like making lists in general)there are quite a few films that we both feel were severely underrated by critics like I Know Who Killed Me and films that we both felt were vastly overrated by critics like Mystic River and even his reviews that I don't agree with are very well-written, I like him better thne James in that aspect.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:04 pm
Vexer wrote:

I love his choice of Emma Stone for best actress. Easy A likely won't get any nominations but if anyone on the team deserved it, Stone's the one. It's also a great, animated physical performance. She's just spectacular in the film.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:22 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I love his choice of Emma Stone for best actress. Easy A likely won't get any nominations but if anyone on the team deserved it, Stone's the one. It's also a great, animated physical performance. She's just spectacular in the film.

She's also fantastic in Paper Man [imdb]. However, apart from her, that film isn't really worthwhile.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:57 am
Ebert's Top 10 Foreign Films of the year:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/12/the_10_best_foreign_films_of_2.html

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:40 pm
This might be interesting. Armond White is often accused of intentionally offering a contradictory opinion. This may be true for some movies, but apart from one or two entries, his top 10 of 2010 list looks good:

Quote:
1) Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
2) Vincere
3) Wild Grass
4) Mother and Child
5) Life During Wartime
6) Another Year
7) Inspector Bellamy
8) The Girl on the Train
9) Takers
10) From Paris With Love

To see the list (or his favourite performances) see this link:
http://www.indiewire.com/critic/armond_white

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:24 pm
I really don't know if anyone bothers to read anything here but I'm sure some of you will silently appreciate Quentin Tarantino's favourite movies of 2010:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/01/tarantinos_20_favorite_movies.html

Quote:
1. Toy Story 3
2. The Social Network
3. Animal Kingdom
4. I Am Love
5. Tangled
6. True Grit
7. The Town
8. Greenberg
9. Cyrus
10. Enter the Void (“Hands down best credit scene of the year … Maybe best credit scene of the decade. One of the greatest in cinema history.” QT)
11. Kick-Ass
12. Knight and Day
13. Get Him to the Greek
14. The Fighter
15. The King's Speech
16. The Kids Are All Right
17. How to Train Your Dragon
18. Robin Hood
19. Amer
20. Jackass 3-D

I'm off to google "Amer"...

Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:14 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I really don't know if anyone bothers to read anything here but I'm sure some of you will silently appreciate Quentin Tarantino's favourite movies of 2010:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/01/tarantinos_20_favorite_movies.html

Quote:
1. Toy Story 3

I never would have expected this #1 pick from Tarantino. Very cool.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:18 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
10. Enter the Void (“Hands down best credit scene of the year … Maybe best credit scene of the decade. One of the greatest in cinema history.” QT)

Yeah, baby. I love that the movie starts with the end credits (with isochronic tones meant to approximate the brainwaves of the mortal terror (not great science but still cool)) and then once AH, THAT'S OVER! the opening credits start with every single True Type font in the book. And loud. Loud credits.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:29 pm
People whose 2010 lists include Jackass 3D:

Quentin Tarantino
me

It's good to know that we'll have something to chat about if we ever bump into one another in a coffee shop or something.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:44 am
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Yeah, baby. I love that the movie starts with the end credits (with isochronic tones meant to approximate the brainwaves of the mortal terror (not great science but still cool)) and then once AH, THAT'S OVER! the opening credits start with every single True Type font in the book. And loud. Loud credits.

Never before has there been a more vibrant, explicitly detailed and accurate warning about what's to come.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:43 am
Pedro wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Never before has there been a more vibrant, explicitly detailed and accurate warning about what's to come.

That's what you think. Anybody here seen Noe's I Stand Alone? I won't spoil anything expect to say that, at one point, this frame shows up:

And then proceeds to countdown every one of those seconds. Maybe not detailed, but effective certainly.

Have I mentioned I'm excited to see Enter the Void? God, I so am. January 25th can't arrive soon enough.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:05 am
I think Zeppelin may have done the debating equivalent of a punch in the dick. Not only am I wrong, but I look like an asshole and I'm in pain. Fuck.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:32 am
Ken wrote:
People whose 2010 lists include Jackass 3D:

Quentin Tarantino
me

It's good to know that we'll have something to chat about if we ever bump into one another in a coffee shop or something.

Theres also John Waters.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:59 pm
Okay. In the event that I bump into both John Waters and Quentin Tarantino in a coffee shop (just what kind of coffee shop is this, anyway?), we'll all have something to chat about.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:35 pm
Ken wrote:
Okay. In the event that I bump into both John Waters and Quentin Tarantino in a coffee shop (just what kind of coffee shop is this, anyway?), we'll all have something to chat about.

That would be an awesome trip to the coffee shop, I haven't seen any of Waters' films but I watched This Filthy World and the man himself is absolutely hilarious.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:41 pm
Emerson's annual "exploding head" awards.

Last edited by Ken on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:20 am
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Indeed. At the risk of alienating folks I'll argue that credits is actually what Noe does best. There's brilliance in his pictures, no doubt, but it's not sustained.

Easy to forget just how good (and fitting) the opening (well, closing) credits for Irreversible were:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXaDWo_YRnA

Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:16 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Indeed. At the risk of alienating folks I'll argue that credits is actually what Noe does best. There's brilliance in his pictures, no doubt, but it's not sustained.

Easy to forget just how good (and fitting) the opening (well, closing) credits for Irreversible were:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXaDWo_YRnA

Weird how those credits are so watchable. People can say what they want about Noe's difficult movies but those credit sequences are simple, flashy (literally -- they flash a lot), and a real threat that whatever is going to follow will be off the edge. Brace yourself... here's some spinning credits.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:12 am
Rob's continued admiration of Dr. Mark Kermode has gotten me hooked. He's an incredibly smart guy and it's a pleasure to hear him speak. Here's a video with his top 5 of 2010:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/2010/12/my_top_five_films_of_the_year.html

5. Chico and Rita
4. Made in Dagenham
3. Toy Story 3
2. Of Gods and Men
1. Inception :D

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:55 pm
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
Rob's continued admiration of Dr. Mark Kermode has gotten me hooked. He's an incredibly smart guy and it's a pleasure to hear him speak. Here's a video with his top 5 of 2010:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/2010/12/my_top_five_films_of_the_year.html

5. Chico and Rita
4. Made in Dagenham
3. Toy Story 3
2. Of Gods and Men
1. Inception :D

Wheter you agree or disagree with the good doctor, you know he has a great knowledge of films.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:07 pm
Profile YIM
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next