Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:38 pm

Best Bond Films 
Director

Post Re: Best Bond Films
Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
You might be right, Ken. But hindsight has screwed Richards, perhaps through little fault of her own, but they're the risks for well paid for. She's a perceived poor actress, playing a shallow role in a weak era of Bond films. And she married Charlie Sheen
I would hardly call her a "perceived poor actress" and hindsight hasn't really "Screwed" her.

Wait, so that doesn't qualify as "winning" for Charlie Sheen?

Fri May 02, 2014 5:13 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
You might be right, Ken. But hindsight has screwed Richards, perhaps through little fault of her own, but they're the risks for well paid for. She's a perceived poor actress, playing a shallow role in a weak era of Bond films. And she married Charlie Sheen
I would hardly call her a "perceived poor actress" and hindsight hasn't really "Screwed" her.

Well, as someone who DOES have firsthand experience with acting, I can honestly say that, from the work of hers we've seen so far, Denise Richards' acting skills are mediocre at best. :|

Mon May 05, 2014 10:12 pm
Auteur

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

Well, as someone who DOES have firsthand experience with acting, I can honestly say that, from the work of hers we've seen so far, Denise Richards' acting skills are mediocre at best. :|

By firsthand experience what do you mean exactly? Have you actually worked alongside famous actors?

I can honestly that she's a pretty good actress.

Tue May 06, 2014 12:00 am
Producer

Meh. I don't hate Denise Richards, but I've never been particularly impressed with her acting either. My favorite movies that she's done is probably Starship Troopers and The World is Not Enough. But again, while both of those movies were hugely enjoyable, she didn't exactly set the world on fire with acting in either of those movies.

Wed May 07, 2014 4:23 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Meh. I don't hate Denise Richards, but I've never been particularly impressed with her acting either. My favorite movies that she's done is probably Starship Troopers and The World is Not Enough. But again, while both of those movies were hugely enjoyable, she didn't exactly set the world on fire with acting in either of those movies.

Did you ever see "Empire"? I thought she was really great in that film.

Also liked her in Good Advice, The Third Wheel, Valentine, Tail Lights Fade, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Finding Bliss, Jolene, Edmond, Elvis Has Left The Building, and "The Life: What Is Your Pleasure"?

Wed May 07, 2014 4:38 am
Producer

The only movies you listed that I've seen are Valentine, which was MEH, a mediocre slasher/horror flick. And Drop Dead Gorgeous, which was finger nails scratching a chalk board irritating. It's seriously one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Wed May 07, 2014 4:45 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
The only movies you listed that I've seen are Valentine, which was MEH, a mediocre slasher/horror flick. And Drop Dead Gorgeous, which was finger nails scratching a chalk board irritating. It's seriously one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

What was so bad about Drop Dead Gorgeous? I'm baffled that out of the films you've seen that you would consider that one of the worst.

I thought Valentine was a pretty underrated slasher film.

Wed May 07, 2014 2:44 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
By firsthand experience what do you mean exactly? Have you actually worked alongside famous actors?

Well, Vex, let me ask you the following questions: -Do you consider yourself an actor? -Have you ever studied (even informally) acting? -Have you ever been financially compensated for acting? Unless you can answer 'yes' to all of the following, you're not standing shoulder-to-shoulder with me. It's like, say, if you read 2 American Idol blogs; one written by an actual voice instructor, the other written by a mere superfan of the show who has no musical background. To whose opinion do you think more people will more likely give more weight? There's really no nice way to say 'I know more than you (about this subject)'... but sometimes it's true. Of course, I'm sure there's a subject or two about which you know more than I do as well. :|

Thu May 08, 2014 7:29 am
Auteur

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Well, Vex, let me ask you the following questions: -Do you consider yourself an actor? -Have you ever studied (even informally) acting? -Have you ever been financially compensated for acting? Unless you can answer 'yes' to all of the following, you're not standing shoulder-to-shoulder with me. It's like, say, if you read 2 American Idol blogs; one written by an actual voice instructor, the other written by a mere superfan of the show who has no musical background. To whose opinion do you think more people will more likely give more weight? There's really no nice way to say 'I know more than you (about this subject)'... but sometimes it's true. Of course, I'm sure there's a subject or two about which you know more than I do as well. :|

We're not talking about me here, and you still didn't answer my question. Have you or have you not ever worked alongside professional actors? Until you actually answer i'm going to assume that, no, you do not know more then me.

Thu May 08, 2014 2:01 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Vexer wrote:

We're not talking about me here, and you still didn't answer my question. Have you or have you not ever worked alongside professional actors? Until you actually answer i'm going to assume that, no, you do not know more then me.

If he's been financially compensated for acting, that makes him a professional actor.

Thu May 08, 2014 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Does getting free beer & pizza for acting in student films count as getting compensated for acting? I guess I was a professional actor many years ago.

In all seriousness, I don't think trying anyone trying to make it as an actor, taking classes, getting an occasional commercial etc necessarily makes their opinion on acting gospel. Almost all the trainers at my gym are 'actors.' Some are quite dim and uneducated about many great older actors, despite their extensive training. One told me she had never seen Raging Bull, because she didn't like 'old movies.'
I'll try to find out her opinion on Denise Richards:)

Thu May 08, 2014 5:07 pm
Auteur

calvero wrote:
Does getting free beer & pizza for acting in student films count as getting compensated for acting? I guess I was a professional actor many years ago.

In all seriousness, I don't think trying anyone trying to make it as an actor, taking classes, getting an occasional commercial etc necessarily makes their opinion on acting gospel. Almost all the trainers at my gym are 'actors.' Some are quite dim and uneducated about many great older actors, despite their extensive training. One told me she had never seen Raging Bull, because she didn't like 'old movies.'
I'll try to find out her opinion on Denise Richards:)

Agreed, if that was the case then that would mean movie critics are less qualified to critique acting then you are.

Thu May 08, 2014 5:45 pm