Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:25 pm

Great Movie Death Scenes 
Critic

Post Great Movie Death Scenes
If you're truly men, you've got a couple. Just kidding, but I do think it's a very fun subject. Potential Spoilers will abound in this thread, but I'm not going to bother hiding all of them because you have to know what you're getting into if you start reading something like this.

The Man Who Would Be King

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Sean Connery falls to his death while singing "The Son of God Goes Forth to War" to the tune of the Minstrel Boy. Michael Caine, anguished, sings the last line.

Event Horizon

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Sean Pertwee is furious to hear there's a bomb on the ship that he just finished putting back together. He tears the ship apart trying to find it and finally locates it. "Gotcha!" he exclaims, but his triumph turns to agony as he opens it up to find a timer ticking down 4...3...2..1... He closes his eyes miserably and bows his head as it goes off.

Burn After Reading

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Brad Pitt's head gets blown off. Wow did I not see that one coming.

Aliens

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Tough chick Vasquez (Jennette Goldstein) is covering the retreat of the remaining marines when she gets acid on her leg, rendering her immobile. Her lieutenant comes to rescue her but runs out of bullets and they get surrounded by Aliens. He pulls a grenade out and arms it, to which she says "You always were an asshole, Gorman" in a way that makes it clear she forgives him. Sublime.

I could go on and on but I suspect other people have their own suggestions to make.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:38 pm
Post Re: Great Movie Death Scenes
The Last Boy Scout
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Bruce Willis sends the lead bad guy flying off the stadium and he ends up falling onto helicopter blades and gets shredded to bits, dosen't get much cooler then that! :twisted:

Also pretty much every Steven Seagal has at least one great death scene, but that one that immediately comes to mind is the one in Marked For Death when
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Seagal kills the second Screwface by poking out his eyeballs with his thumbs, throwing him through a cement wall, breaking his spine and throwing him down an elavator shaft where he gets impaled on a metal rod! That's one death that truly defines the word overkill

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:49 pm
Director

Quint in Jaws
Sonny Corleone in The Godfather
James Cagney in White Heat
Sam Jackson in Deep Blue Sea

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:57 pm
Critic

Calvero those are all excellent picks. So much so that I'm annoyed I didn't include Cagney's in mine :D

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:13 pm
Captain Spock in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Even knowing that he returns by the end of the next film doesn't take away from it's impact (at least in my experience).

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:17 pm
Ok, I can think of some that I liked:

Face Off:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Gina Gershon's character added a touch of poignancy by asking the disguised agent Archer to avoid letting her child grow to be a criminal like her before her last breath.

Star Trek (2009):
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The death of Kirk's father on the U.S.S. Kelvin was a good example of a heroic self-sacrifice. I also thought it was a nice touch to have him discussing the name of his newborn son in the final seconds before the collision.

No Country For Old Men:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Everyone could see the death of Carson Wells (Woody Harrelson) coming once Chigurh found him, but it was a nice touch to have it come while he was listening to the phone ringing after Anton had told him what would happen.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:18 pm
Critic

Ragnarok: I've always loved that little moment in Face/Off and I'm glad there's someone out there who agrees with me.

I'm also going to nominate
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Jim Brown
in The Dirty Dozen. I think he's going to make it every time...

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:31 pm
Pulp Fiction

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Vincent comes out of the shitter to find Butch, gun at the ready. Their eyes lock, neither of them moves. The tension is palpable, and you can tell that each man is waiting, just waiting, for the other to make a life or death move.

Then the pop tart pops, Butch reflexively squeezes the trigger, and Vincent spends the last few seconds of his life bleeding out, back on the toilet.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:34 pm
Vexer wrote:
The Last Boy Scout
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Bruce Willis sends the lead bad guy flying off the stadium and he ends up falling onto helicopter blades and gets shredded to bits, dosen't get much cooler then that! :twisted:

This is a much better death scene than the climax kill in Last Boy Scout:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Bruce Willis kills a guy by punching him in the face!

For me....that's a toughie. I have to think about it since I've seen thousands upon thousands die in movies

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:49 pm
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
The Last Boy Scout
[Reveal] Spoiler:

This is a much better death scene than the climax kill in Last Boy Scout:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Bruce Willis kills a guy by punching him in the face!

For me....that's a toughie. I have to think about it since I've seen thousands upon thousands die in movies
He did? TThat part must've slipped my mind, and anyways Punisher:War Zone lso had a pretty cool
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Fist through the face kill, and then I also loved when Frank blew up that one guy in midair with an RPG!

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:57 pm
All the awesome things slip your mind Vex, that and Steven Seagal blowing up a helicopter with his pistol.

For me, I saw it on TV and my love for that movie and Bruce Willis was crystallized forever.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:03 pm
Braveheart

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Longshanks throws Edwards boyfriend from the castle window. That scene was hilarious.

Inglorious Basterds

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The scene that Eli Roth is shown with the bat. At first you just hear him tapping on the wall and then he comes out of the tunnel and beats the tar out of the Nazi officer. It has an incredible amount of tension and then is unrelentingly brutal.

House of 1,000 Corpses

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Although absolutely scathed on this site, there were a great number of pieces of this film that I enjoyed. The scene that Otis has the police officer on his knees outside as he stands behind him with a pistol to his head really stands out to me. The camera pulls wider and wider and the shot that you thought was going to take less than a second has about 30 heart racing seconds to it. At the end of the wait, you're wanting the cop to die just so the tension in the scene can end.

Shoot 'Em Up

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The Whole Fucking Movie

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:32 pm
Critic

I'd go with Inglorious Basterds too, but I'd nominate the scene in which

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Hitler and Goebbels get killed

because I think it's something we've all wanted to see for years, and not in the way Downfall presented it. Ahhh that movie kicked ass. I hope it gets some award recognition.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:59 pm
Director

Klytus from Flash Gordon

Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:28 am
See No Evil. The movie's shit, but the bad guy's demise was pretty cool:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
He gets stabbed in the eye with a metal rod and falls down the side of a building, all the while banging his head against the walls, then he finally hits the ground and an x-ray image shows his entire spine shattering.

Romeo Must Die

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Jet Li kicking Russell Wong in the head (and yet another handy x-ray shows his spine breaking)

Raiders of the Lost Ark

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Indy shooting the guy with the sword. The look of "fuck this!" on Harrison Ford's face is priceless.

Freddy vs Jason

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Jason folding up the bed with some poor bastard lying on it. Ouch.

From Dusk Till Dawn

[Reveal] Spoiler:
When Harvey Keitel impales the vampire on his shotgun and it does nothing; Keitel lets out a scream and the vampire gets so freaked he melts on the spot.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:25 am
Another See No Evil kill

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Kane shoves a cell phone down some bitch's throat

Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:58 am
Meet Joe Black always come to mind because I just remember being totally shocked by the way they set it up. I wasn't expecting it at all.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:21 am
Patrick wrote:
Another See No Evil kill

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Kane shoves a cell phone down some bitch's throat

Oh yeah! How could forget that scene, everyone in the theater cheered at that scene!

Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:10 pm
Director

Freddy Vs. Jason
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Jason shoving a woman to a tree

Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:18 pm
Profile YIM
How could I forget about this one:

Jackie Brown
[Reveal] Spoiler:
When Louis (Robert De Niro) shot Melanie (Bridget Fonda) in the parking lot after she wouldn't shut up, the entire theater started cheering.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:32 pm