Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:29 pm

Best films you've seen because of Berardinelli 
Post Re: Best films you've seen because of Berardinelli
I first came on board when the Top 100 was in progress. I've never looked back and it's completely opened me up to appreciating movies much more.
Thanks exclusively to the Top 100, I watched Patton, Rear Window, City Lights, Schindler's List, Casablanca, A Fish Called Wanda, Raging Bull, Dr. Strangelove, Bonnie & Clyde, Goodfellas, Platoon, Requiem for a dream, The Untouchables, The Hustler, Vertigo.

It's sad I didn't see those off my own back. I may have even gotten around to them eventually, but Berardinelli sparked my movie loving. There were certainly some I had not seen in a long time and went revisit. Raiders of the Lost Ark I rememberd being a little bit of fun as kid, but it's even more fun now i'm a bit older.

Ever since then I've tuned in for basically every review, and it would be impossible to actually list the movies I have seen as a result of his reviews. Needless to say, big fan, thanks James

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:51 am
Cvetocek wrote:
There are several films that I would have been highly unlikely to watch had it not been for a review by James. ... Do any other readers have similar favorites?

This is a great question, and for me, that favorite belongs to United 93. Like many people, I didn't know if I could stomach the thought of watching a movie about 9/11. But James' review of that movie was very strong, and his words stayed with me. I managed to catch a showing before the movie finally departed the theaters. To say that the movie met his words is an understatement.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:47 am
Most of his 4* movies would fall under this category for me, except the really popular ones.
Jean de florette/Manon des sources,Wages of fear are 3 of my all time favorite movies and i have seen them because of him.

Thanks James.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:28 am
Children of Men
V for Vendetta
Patton

Thanks to JB for these.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:00 pm
Hah, he's going to hate this one, but I went and saw Primer and absolutely LOVED it, even though Berardinelli gave the film two stars. I heard about it through this website, and I'm a sucker for sci-fi time travel stories (I even adore that endless plethora of Star Trek time travel episodes), so I rented it based on his recommendation...er...I mean, derision. And I ended up finding it to be a very complex, very "out there" and artsy, but very creative film. A lovably tangled masterpiece on a budget, with a very effective piano-based soundtrack written and recorded by the director himself, who also stars in the film. Now that's movie making.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:05 pm
I go out of my way to see films that get 4 stars here. I got a lot of good stuff from that list.

The Age of Innocence
Before Sunrise/Sunset
Cinema Paradiso
The Decalogue
Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources
Le Samourai
Raise the Red Lantern
Shadowlands
Sleuth
The Sweet Hereafter
Wages of Fear

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:02 pm
I don't believe I would've caught Memento if it wasn't for James' review. Thanks James!

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:48 pm
heres some from his top 100 that I checked out and loved
Amadeus
Rashomon
Before Sunrise(I love both Before Sunrise and Before Sunset now!)
Yojimbo
Cries and Whispers
Magnolia
Manhattan
Lawrence of Arabia

not from the top 100:
The Edge of Heaven
Before Sunset -naturally
49 Up- which got me interested and I have now seen all 7 parts. incredible documentary series.
La Promesse
Yi YI
Sweet Sixteen
Waiting for Guffman
Maria Full of Grace
21 grams

so basically his reviews have introduced me to some awesome films.
Thanks James!

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:10 pm
laylowmoe wrote:
I don't believe I would've caught Memento if it wasn't for James' review. Thanks James!

I missed that one in the cinema but having read JB's review I managed to watch it on DVD a few years later - amazing film.

Sin City - I know very little about the graphic novel world, but I went to see this film simply because of the 3.5 stars.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:03 pm