Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:09 am

Best films you've seen because of Berardinelli 
Post Best films you've seen because of Berardinelli
Hi all,

There are several films that I would have been highly unlikely to watch had it not been for a review by James. My absolute favorite films in this category are Jean de Florette and its sequel Manon de Sources. These are among the best films I have seen in any genre, in any language.

Do any other readers have similar favorites?

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:05 pm
Post Re: Best films you've seen because of Berardinelli
I don't think any one review made me go "I'm going to see it!" He did provide some interest to some movies but so did other guys

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:12 pm
One that really sticks out to me is Downfall...just a brilliant movie that did not play in most of the U.S.A...It's a foreign language film but IMO easily was the best film of 2005 and Bruno Ganz portrayal of Hitler was the definitive version I have ever seen....Have probably recommended this movie to over 10 people and I think every single person has called me to thank me for the recommendation....Would never of seen it except for this site

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:17 pm
Oh , what a good thread, I was going to open a similar one, but oh well you were faster.

The ones I remember where great and Im glad I saw them (and thankful to him for his reviews) are:

Deliver us from Evil
Its a wonderful Life
Monthy Python and the Holy Grail
Minority Report
Pulp Fiction
Unforgiven

Regards,
Eder

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:31 pm
The ones that come to mind, just off his Top 100 list:

The Sweet Hereafter
The War Zone
Blue Velvet
Glengarry Glen Ross
Crumb

I've seen many others based on his recommendations, and I'm thankful for each one.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:02 pm
Flip it around- I found the site because his was one of the first reviews posted of Saving Private Ryan.

Seen because of him- Sweet Hereafter, The War Zone. Both were powerful, to say the least.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:17 pm
Unforgiven
Minority Report
Sunshine
Matchstick Men
Harsh Times
Closer
The Mist

Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:20 pm
Hmmm...I'm not really sure. I typically don't read reviews until after I've seen the movie, but occasionally he has made me like or dislike a movie more after I saw it and read his review. For instance, Mystic River. The first time I saw it, I was awestruck, and I thought about it for the next three days. Then, I read his review, which was almost calling it near perfect. At the time, I thought it was, but as he explained the few negatives he had about the movie, I realized how mediocre it actually was (in my own opinion). With Sean Penn's overacting, the repetition, and the final two scenes that ruin the entire movie, I began feeling a lot of illwill towards the movie. Then, after thinking about this for around a week, I saw it again, and I hated it with a passion.

Unfortunately, it is this way with a lot of Clint Eastwood films. It seems like they are only meant for one viewing, and anymore than that and you begin to see more and more flaws. They may seem perfect the first time, but anymore than that, and I always begin to grow annoyed rather fast...except Million Dollar Baby!

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:17 pm
Late last year, I saw his high star rating for "The Edge of Heaven" and added it to my NetFlix queue. I ended up loving it enormously! It's definitely something everyone should see.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:25 pm
"The Lives of Others"

Thanks for pointing that one out, James.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:06 pm
Before Sunrise and The War Zone. I don't think I would've ever heard of either of them if I hadn't seen them on James' top 100 (I was too young when Before Sunrise was in theaters), and now they're both among my favorite films.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:48 pm
Crumb, Sweet Hereafter, Trois Couleurs series are some that come to mind that I snatched from his top 100 movies.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:39 am
Run Lola Run
Irreversible
City Lights
Dark City
Funny Games
Pan's Labyrinth
Waiting For Guffman

Just to name a few...

Thanks Mr. B...

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:00 am
First one that comes to mind for me is Maria Full of Grace. Great movie that I don't know if I had heard about other than his review.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:42 am
Too many to count. Off the top of my head...

Patton
Spartan
Chinatown
Friday Night Lights
A couple Hitchcock and French flicks.
Loads of others...

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:58 am
Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, most notably. The latter being my second favorite movie of all time.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:51 am
Before Sunrise and Before, which are among my most favourite movies, the Monty Python movies, and Decalogue. I would probably have heard of them, but wouldn't have seen them for a long time.

Berardinelli keeps highlighting some nice movies from time to time, which helps keep my enthusiasm going.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:01 am
Easy

The Hottie and the Nottie and Freddy Got Fingered.

After those reviews I hunted these movies down!

Rob

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:30 am
The Decalogue is the most notable work I've ever seen because of James. I probably would not have seen Raise the Red Lantern, Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring, The Sweet Hereafter, or The War Zone for a while without his recommendation, though.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:26 am
Off the top of my head, the Monty Python/John Cleese movies, Once Were Warriors, Memento.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:46 am