Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:59 am

TV Adaptations 
Post TV Adaptations
Reading a review of Will Smith's Wild Wild West got me thinking about cinematic adaptations of TV shows. It seems like most of these (including Wild Wild West) are pretty hideous. I was hard pressed to think of any good ones, but here's what I came up with:

The Fugitive (my vote for best adaptation)
The Untouchables (a close second)
Star Trek (hit or miss, but Wrath of Khan tops the list for me)
Wayne's World (one of the few SNL skits that wasn't completely awful)
Get Smart (pickings are slim when this is on the good list, but I liked it)
Twilight Zone: The Movie (not the best, but had its moments)

And on the opposite end of the spectrum, some of the worst:

Bewitched (never even saw it, but I don't think I will)
Charlie's Angels (not that the TV show was great art...)
The Dukes of Hazzard (see above...)
The Flintstones (two words -- Rosie O'Donnell)
Lost in Space (Agh! My childhood!)

Any others to add, good or bad?

Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:01 am
Post Re: TV Adaptations
I enjoyed both the Charlie's Angels films and Dukes Of Hazzard(though the latter was my younger sister's rental choice) they were both dumd fun for me, Flintstones was pretty forgettable though, saw it on TV once as a kid and can't remember much about it now, never saw Viva Rock vegas either. Other TV adaptions I like are The Mod Squad, Starsky And Hutch, Serenity, all the Mission Impossible films, My Favorite Martian(one of my school teachers picked that film for our class to watch in case your wondering) S.W.A.T., the Ninja Turtles films, Rocky And Bullwinkle(must've watched that one with my mom a dozen times, i've pratically memorized every line in that film) I Spy, Dragnet, and Aeon Flux. The Fugitive was OK but a little too overlong for me, and I don't think it's the masterpiece it's made out to be, loved Get Smart and Wayne's World, didn't see Star Trek yet, though I definitely want to, don't really want to see Twilight zone as I honestly never cared much for the show, same thing with Untouchables, and a really deranged part of me really wants to see Car 54 Where are You? to see if it's really as bad as everyone says. I'm also looking forward to the upcoming TV adaptions of MacGyver, Magnum P.I., and Knight Rider.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:27 am
Homer, you don't deserve to have an opinion on Bewitched until you seen it.

As for best TV adapts...it's pretty the same as your Homer

Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:34 am
Patrick wrote:
Homer, you don't deserve to have an opinion on Bewitched until you seen it.

As for best TV adapts...it's pretty the same as your Homer

Patrick, you're right about Bewitched. I shouldn't comment if I haven't seen the entire movie, but for the record: I did watch about 5 minutes of it, was horribly underwhelmed, suppressed a gag reflex, and changed the channel to prevent the tarnishing of another childhood memory.

Judging from the Razzies it garnered, I'm not alone in my opinion. :D Anyone who wants to chime in with a positive review of Bewitched, feel free...

Another underwhelming adaptation is the Simpsons movie. Meh.

Vexer, good call on Dragnet. I enjoyed the movie. Starsky and Hutch and Mission: Impossible were both good, as well. I'm looking forward to the MacGyver adaptation. Your previous comments about MacGyver prompted this thread in the first place.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:59 pm
I like the Simpsons movie. It wasn't as good as the Golden Years but it hasn't been as bad as it has been.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:47 pm
I loved The Simpsons Movie myself, don't know why people were dissapointed by it.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:55 pm
Vexer wrote:
I loved The Simpsons Movie myself, don't know why people were dissapointed by it.

For the same reason that many TV adaptations are disappointments. The movies are not just judged on their own as films, but in how they compare to episodes of the show they are based on--and The Simpsons Movie is nowhere near the best of what The Simpsons has (or had) to offer.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:27 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:

The movie should have been out in the mid ninties, now it's funny, but not as great as it could have beenn in 1993 or 1994.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:51 pm
Profile YIM
Nice topic, HomerJ, real nice.

Vexer wrote:
Serenity, all the Mission Impossible films

Fully agreed on the former and somewhat on the latter.

I'll add South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut which, in my opinion, works because it managed to be a bit different than the television series. Obviously there is the uncensored profanity, but it's all the musical numbers which shook things up for me.

The Oscar winning Traffic was adapted on a British series, no? I seem to remember this from James' review.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:35 pm
Well Traffic was a mini-series so I'm not sure if that actually counts or not.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:23 pm
I absolutely HATED that South Park Movie with a passion, I fail to see how excessive swearing is side-splitting,its gets tiresome REAL fast, my problem with crap like South Park is that it seems like it's trying WAAAYYY Too hard to be as edgy as possible in a depserate attempt to get laughs, at least that's what it seemed like to me, I laughed more at The Green Mile then I did at that godawful waste of celluloid!

Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:35 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:

Vexer wrote:

I'll add South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut which, in my opinion, works because it managed to be a bit different than the television series. Obviously there is the uncensored profanity, but it's all the musical numbers which shook things up for me.

I'll second South Park. The movie was able to push the envelope a little further, and the music was excellent. I don't know how I'd compare it to The Green Mile, but I certainly wouldn't call it a waste of celluloid.

corpen11 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

The movie should have been out in the mid ninties, now it's funny, but not as great as it could have beenn in 1993 or 1994.

Exactly. I didn't hate the Simpsons movie, but I remember how great the series used to be (mid-90's), and was hoping they could duplicate that level of excellence. I figured, with a bigger budget and more time to write an extended story, they could really knock our socks off. It just didn't deliver (for me). It felt more like a 30 minute episode the writers padded out to its 87 minute run time.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:06 am
HomerJ wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Vexer wrote:

I'll second South Park. The movie was able to push the envelope a little further, and the music was excellent. I don't know how I'd compare it to The Green Mile, but I certainly wouldn't call it a waste of celluloid.

corpen11 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Exactly. I didn't hate the Simpsons movie, but I remember how great the series used to be (mid-90's), and was hoping they could duplicate that level of excellence. I figured, with a bigger budget and more time to write an extended story, they could really knock our socks off. It just didn't deliver (for me). It felt more like a 30 minute episode the writers padded out to its 87 minute run time.
Well I guess I enjoyed The Simpsons Movie alot more myself is because I didn't think the show had gone downhill like most people did, so for me the 30 minute episode thing was a plus, and I some people said the exact same thing about Star Trek:Insurrection(which I also didn't consider a bad thing)

Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:11 am
Interesting that the cartoon adaptations are getting the most talk.

The South Park movie is brilliant, but I think the uncensored profanity gets too much attention. The only difference between the uncensored profanity of the movie and the censored profanity of the show is the censorship. The whole concept of the story is what makes it good. What better topic for a South Park movie than the outrage over a fictional movie adaptation of a vulgar television show? It's some kind of weird preemptive meta-satire that frustrates you just by thinking about it. It would be too clever for its own good if not for the deliberately lowbrow stuff, like the guy turning off his car alarm without giving a glance to the dead body on top of the car.

The Simpsons movie was a disappointment, but not nearly as much as it could have been. I remember reading that the Camp Krusty episode was originally pitched as a movie until the show runners realized there wasn't nearly enough material. That's what the Simpsons movie feels like. Of course, that does mean there's enough classic Simpsons material for one good episode, which is more than you can say for the post-millennium TV series.

And I'll throw Beavis & Butthead Do America into the mix as a severely underrated pleasure.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:46 am
Patrick wrote:
I like the Simpsons movie. It wasn't as good as the Golden Years but it hasn't been as bad as it has been.

If HomerJ counts Wayne's World I'll count Traffic.

And I'm glad he counted Wayne's World because that lets me mention Borat and Bruno. The former is one of the best comedies of the last decade, the latter...not so much.

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:23 pm
Wayne's World is hilarious; it's pretty much the only SNL-based movie worth anything. I've watched it so many times as a kid I find myself quoting it all the time, and I can't listen to Jimi Hendrix's "Foxy Lady" without flashing back to Dana Carvey doing his stupid dance.

I also liked The Simpsons Movie; it's the funniest that show has been in years. I'm a huge fan, but the last four or five seasons have been crap compared to the old stuff.

The Mission:Impossiblemovies are pretty fun as well, but by the third one you realize there's pretty much nothing left of the original concept; they went on a direction all their own.

I can't think of any other good ones; sadly, most of these adaptations are shit. Can't believe no one has mentioned Miami Vice yet; I'm a huge Michael Mann fan, but that film was so boring and dull it was a pain to watch. Though I guess since Mann created the show, he can do whatever he wants with it.

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:50 am
If we're counting Traffic, I'll add State of Play. Although it's a much different challenge to adapt a long-running TV show into a movie than to condense, say, 8 hours of material into 2.

One of my favorites that I can't believe no one has mentioned is Maverick. Suffers a bit from Judd Apatow syndrome (that movie does not need to run over 2 hours), but actually one of my favorite comedies of the 90's, as well as one of Mel Gibson's best roles.

I'll add my vote to the first and third Mission: Impossible movies, but good God not the second.

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:40 am
I might have to walk against the crowd here, but I don't have much respect for the "Mission Impossible" movie series. I own almost all (not all available yet) of the seasons of the TV series, and the degree to which the movie varied from the TV show was pretty immense. My understanding is that Greg Morris ('Barney' in the original series) walked out on the movie screening. The TV series was about creativity and intellect and visual deception, and the movie was loaded with explosions and CGI 'stunts' and team member treachery.

As far as moving from little screen to big screen; someone mentioned "Dragnet" as one that captured the essence of the TV show pretty well. I'll agree with that. "The Fugutive" was fantastic.

I enjoyed "Get Smart", which, I think might be the only one here to go from big screen (The Nude Bomb) to little screen and be rebooted on the big screen.

"Star Trek"... Oh hell yes!

I'm excited by the proposition that "The A Team" will be coming to the big screen. In another thread I'd suggested that Sacha Baron Cohen play H.M. Murdoch. If any casting directors read this, I ask for no recompense for helping you with this casting decision.

"MacGyver"? My brother owns all seasons of that series. I've seen them all and tensely await the big screen appearance.
When I had hair (late 1980's-early 1990's), I had a MacGyver Mullet.
Did too.

Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:03 am
The best TV adaptation I've ever seen is Serenity, the movie based on the TV show "Firefly".

I'll also second many of the Star Trek films.

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:57 pm
Director

mkratzer21 wrote:
The best TV adaptation I've ever seen is Serenity, the movie based on the TV show "Firefly".

I'll also second many of the Star Trek films.

I only wished more people watched Serenity, the film is very good at what it does.

Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:20 pm
Profile YIM