Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:15 am

Overlooked Films 
Producer

Post Re: Overlooked Films
I saw it on a VHS tape about fifteen years ago. I don't know if there has been a DVD release. Directed by the same man who directed "Local Hero" and "Comfort and Joy." The second is on the list, too.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:54 pm
Syd Henderson wrote:
7. Black Narcissus - Powell, 1947
16. The Company of Wolves - 1984 Only saw part of this. The copy I had was so washed out it was unwatchable
19. Dark Star - Carpenter, 1974
28. Forbidden Zone - 1980 A serious candidate for the worst film I've ever seen
39. High and Low - Kurosawa, 1963 My favorite film by one of my favorite directors.
44. Housekeeping - Forsyth, 1987 Christine Lahti is an aunt trying to raise two teenagers despite her madness. Great film.
57. The Naked Kiss - Fuller, 1964 My idea of a film noir.

Syd, you seem to have a pretty extensive knowledge of classic films so I'm surprised that you haven't seen more of these. Too obscure? Lack of interest?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:38 pm
I love Housekeeping. I pretty much love anything Christine Lahti does. She and Catherine Keener. OMG. Just re-watched Running on Empty. Great film.

And Catherine Keener. Just re-watched 40-year old Virgin as well as Living in Oblivion.

Living in Oblivion, now that's an overlooked film. I LOVE that movie!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:48 pm
Ebert's latest entry in the "Overlooked DVD" series is one called Trucker.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 79995/1023

It looks pretty interesting and has a nice cast. From 2009 and I hadn't heard a thing about it.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:03 am
majoraphasia wrote:

It looks pretty interesting and has a nice cast. From 2009 and I hadn't heard a thing about it.

I saw a trailer for that film, looks pretty good actually.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:57 am
majoraphasia wrote:

I almost saw Trucker last year, but then didn't because the buzz for Michelle Monaghan died down. It looks kind of average, to be honest, but maybe I'm wrong.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:59 am
I don't see a lot of overlooked films, but I think I have a good one:

James Toback's Fingers [imdb.com] stars Harvey Keitel in one of his better performances. It's also one of the better New York movies of that 70's period. The best comparison is probably Taxi Driver, though just not as good or quite as violent.

It recently remade as The Beat that my Heart Skipped (2005) by Jacques Audiard (A Prophet).

Sun May 23, 2010 10:45 am
ed_metal_head wrote:

James Toback's Fingers [imdb.com] stars Harvey Keitel in one of his better performances. It's also one of the better New York movies of that 70's period. The best comparison is probably Taxi Driver, though just not as good or quite as violent.

I've wanted to see that for the longest time. Have you seen any Toback stuff? Harvard Man, critically panned though it was, is a great example of what he does. Two Girls & A Guy was also fairly good -- save for the last scene. Robert Downey Jr. is fairly incredible and no more so than in this scene: (it's long but worth sticking around for)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt9wObuw ... =1&index=7

Mon May 24, 2010 9:44 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

I've wanted to see that for the longest time. Have you seen any Toback stuff? Harvard Man, critically panned though it was, is a great example of what he does. Two Girls & A Guy was also fairly good -- save for the last scene. Robert Downey Jr. is fairly incredible and no more so than in this scene: (it's long but worth sticking around for)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt9wObuw ... =1&index=7

I haven't actually. Thanks for the half recommendations though. Fingers is not a great film, but there are a lot of great moments that make it worthwhile. I'm assuming the remainder of his movies are similar in that regard.

Wed May 26, 2010 3:07 pm
I watched Frailty last night and really liked it, so I preceded to ask people I knew what they thought of it. Not a single person other than my dad has heard about it (and he was the one that recommended it to me). Definitely an overlooked film.

Thu May 27, 2010 1:27 pm
Director

Blace wrote:
I watched Frailty last night and really liked it, so I preceded to ask people I knew what they thought of it. Not a single person other than my dad has heard about it (and he was the one that recommended it to me). Definitely an overlooked film.

I would also add K-PAX to recent overlooked films.

Thu May 27, 2010 10:17 pm
Profile YIM
Black Snake Moan
Born in Flames
Dorian Grey (2009)
44 Inch Chest
Die! Mommie! Die!
Bound
A Dirty Shame
-Jeremy

Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:12 pm