Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:37 pm

Rate Christian Bale's Films 
Director

Post Rate Christian Bale's Films
In honor of one of my favorite current working actors, rate the films you've seen starring Christian Bale in them.

Of those I've seen:

#1. The Dark Knight (**** out of ****)
#2. Batman Begins (***1/2 out of ****)
#3. 3:10 To Yuma (***1/2 out of ****)
#4. American Psycho (*** out of ****)
#5. The Machinist (*** out of ****)
#6. Rescue Dawn (*** out of ****)
#7. The Prestige (*** out of ****)
#8. Reign of Fire (**1/2 out of ****)
#9. The New World (**1/2 out of ****)
#10. Terminator - Salvation (** out of ****)

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: Rate Christian Bale's Films
Granted...I've only seen 4 of his movies, but I don't think he can do a better job than his work in American Psycho.

Effing brilliant.

Also, I admire what he did to play the part in The Machinist, then turn around, bulk up and play Batman. Apples and water. Hardcore...

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:15 am
Director

ram1312 wrote:
Granted...I've only seen 4 of his movies, but I don't think he can do a better job than his work in American Psycho.

Effing brilliant.

Also, I admire what he did to play the part in The Machinist, then turn around, bulk up and play Batman. Apples and water. Hardcore...

He was superb in both. However I give him the nod in "The Machinist", although "American Psycho" is the better movie in general, he was incredible in "The Machinist", he completely embodied a character who was so broken and scarred mentally, you somehow really felt for that walking skeleton. He lost 40 pounds or so for this film, bulked up to play Batman like you said, but then lost a lot of it AGAIN for his role in "Rescue Dawn". Not only one of the best actors working right now, but arguably one of the most dedicated we have (with Daniel Day-Lewis taking the crown as #1 of course....).

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:19 am
Profile WWW
#1. The Dark Knight (**** out of ****)
#2. 3:10 To Yuma (**** out of ****)
#3. Batman Begins (***1/2 out of ****)
#4. The Prestige (***1/2 out of ****)
#5. Public Enemies (*** out of ****)
#6. Harsh Times (*** out ****)
#7. American Psycho (*** out of ****)
#8. Rescue Dawn (*** out of ****)
#9. Terminator Salvation (*** out of ****)
#10. Equilibrium (**1/2 out of ****)
#11. The Machinist (**1/2 out of ****)

I've seen almost all of his films (my first of his was BB and ever since then I went through his filmography and starting watching). I've liked all but 2 of his films. He is definitely one of my favorite actors. My favorite performance of his is in Harsh Times with American Psycho a close second. I admired his work in The Machinist, but I didn't like the movie very much and his transformation for the movie did more talking than the acting itself.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:33 am
I know i'm definitely in the minority here, but for me his weakest film was American Psycho, i just never understood why that film was hailed as a masterpiece. Bale's performance was mediocre in every aspect as he never once came close to concinving me as a killer, he came across as more like a weird neighboor to me, plus his incredibly stupid and annoying dialogue didn't help.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:44 am
Vexer wrote:
I know i'm definitely in the minority here, but for me his weakest film was American Psycho, i just never understood why that film was hailed as a masterpiece. Bale's performance was mediocre in every aspect as he never once came close to concinving me as a killer, he came across as more like a weird neighboor to me, plus his incredibly stupid and annoying dialogue didn't help.

I think that might have been the point Vex.

I feel the need to spoiler tag...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Was he a killer? I don't think he was. It was all in his swollen, spoiled head. There is evidence all over the film.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:55 am
What I've seen...

Empire of the Sun, A-
Newsies, C-
Velvet Goldmine, B+
Shaft, C-
American Psycho, A
Equilibrium, F
Reign of Fire, B-
The Machinist, B
Batman Begins, A-
The New World, B
The Prestige, B+
Rescue Dawn, B
I'm Not There, B-
3:10 to Yuma, C+
Dark Knight, B
Public Enemies, B

Bale was dynamite and very funny in American Psycho, by the by. Plus, it's a ten year old movie, so I think I can tell you sans spoiler tags that Bateman's obviously a murderer in "real" life because if he wasn't really a murderer, the movie would have no point

Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:47 am
ram1312 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I think that might have been the point Vex.

I feel the need to spoiler tag...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Was he a killer? I don't think he was. It was all in his swollen, spoiled head. There is evidence all over the film.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the "tiwst" ending to be honest, which pretty much shows how little I care for the film, and i'm well aware of Bateman being a murered in real life, no frekaing duh, what I meant was Bale never came close to convincing me that he himself was Bateman, it just seemed like REALLY awful overracting to me, Bale's a good actor don't get me wrong, but IMO he was horribly misscast in American Psycho.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:40 am
Shaft 7/10
American Psycho 8/10
Equilibrium 7/10
The Machinist 5/10
Batman Begins 10/10
The Prestige 8/10
3:10 to Yuma 7/10
Dark Knight 10/10

Oh and didn't Bret Easton Ellis confirm that Bateman's murders were all in his head and it was all a satire about the 80's attitude and such?

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:48 pm
The Dark Knight - 10/10
Batman Begins - 9/10
3:10 to Yuma - 8/10
The Prestige - 8/10
Rescue Dawn - 8/10
American Psycho - 7/10
Shaft - 7/10
The Machinist - 6/10
Equilibrium - 5/10
Terminator Salvation - 4/10
The New World - 3/10

Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:26 am
Producer

There was a time when I wasn't really a fan of his. Of course now I think he's awesome.

On a scale of Zero to ****:

1. Little Women - ****
2. The Dark Knight - *** 1/2
3. Batman Begins - *** 1/2
4. Terminator Salvation - *** 1/2
5. Captain Corelli's Mandolin - *** 1/2
6. Equilibrium - ***
7. Public Enemies - ***
8. The Prestige - ***
9. 3:10 to Yuma - ***
10. The Machinist - ***

11. Reign of Fire - ***
12. Rescue Dawn - ***
13. Laurel Canyon - ***
14. Shaft - ** 1/2
15. The New World - * 1/2
16. American Psycho - zero stars

Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:05 pm
ilovemovies wrote:
16. American Psycho - zero stars

Geez, you even typed out the 0.

That bad for you?

Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:32 pm
Producer

I probably should give it a rewatch although I'm afraid to, but yeah. I hated it. It's so boring and repetitive. It's been years though. Infact, it's been 9 years since I saw it.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:44 pm
Personally, I think one of his standout performances was Harsh Times. I wasn't crazy about the movie, but I was surprised seeing Christian Bale slip into that type of hood rat character so convincingly.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:05 pm
ilovemovies wrote:
I probably should give it a rewatch although I'm afraid to, but yeah. I hated it. It's so boring and repetitive. It's been years though. Infact, it's been 9 years since I saw it.

Have to ask man...how old were you 9 years ago? Just curious movies...not an attack.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:12 pm
Producer

Let's see. American Psycho came out in April of 2000 so that would have made me 17 years old.

Back in 2000 I was still an a big time filmmaker.

My favorite film of 1999 was, pretty much like a lot of people, American Beauty. Always loved it. Saving Private Ryan for '98. For '97 it was always very close between Contact and L.A. Confidential. I think back then it was more L.A. Confidential, unlike now when it's Contact.

Believe it or not, my tastes have not changed too much in the past 9 years.

That said, the other reason I actually plan on giving American Psycho a rewatch is mostly because I was actually pretty tired when I saw it. That's the ONLY reason I plan on rewatching it. The 9 year gap has nothing to do with it.

Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:29 am
Christian Bale is one of my favourite working actors, yet I don't think he has much range. What I admire is his devotion to his craft (Machinist, Rescue Dawn) which I don't think any other actor can match. It's also pretty cool that the whole celebrity thing doesn't seem to get to him.

In order of movie quality, not performance strength:

1. The New World - 9/10
2. The Dark Knight - 9/10
3. The Prestige - 9/10
4. Batman Begins - 8/10
5. American Psycho - 8/10
6. Rescue Dawn - 7/10
7. The Machinist - 7/10
8. 3:10 to Yuma - 7/10
9. I'm Not There. - 7/10
10. Equilibrium - 6/10
11. Reign of Fire - 5/10
12. Terminator Salvation - 5/10

Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:30 pm
Guess I'm the only one who's head over heels for The New World...

Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:34 pm
Nah, you're not alone. I like The New World okay, but Christian Bale doesn't have a whole lot to do in it. I can understand people who don't dig Malick, though. Anyway, more importantly, it looks like not too many of you have seen Empire of the Sun, which is a shame because that's just a wonderful picture

And ed - I mostly agree with you on the limited range thing, though it seems like of the notes he's able to hit, he hits them well and I still think he's got good performances to give. My biggest problem with Bale as an actor is that lately he's come off like he's been coasting a bit and maybe being lazy in his choices. Substituting heaps of "intensity" for nuance or, you know, acting. But, yeah, at the same time he's done a good job picking his projects this decade and he's almost always interesting to watch onscreen

Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:54 pm
Producer

I've seen two of Malick's movies. The New World and The Thin Red Line.

I LOVE The Thin Red Line. I think it's a near masterpiece. But I absolutely hated The New World. One of THE most boring movies I have ever seen! It's a good looking movie, with great cinematography, but an absolute chore to sit through.

Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:34 pm