Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Rate Christian Bale's Films 
Post Re: Rate Christian Bale's Films
Kyle wrote:
Nah, you're not alone. I like The New World okay, but Christian Bale doesn't have a whole lot to do in it. I can understand people who don't dig Malick, though. Anyway, more importantly, it looks like not too many of you have seen Empire of the Sun, which is a shame because that's just a wonderful picture

And ed - I mostly agree with you on the limited range thing, though it seems like of the notes he's able to hit, he hits them well and I still think he's got good performances to give. My biggest problem with Bale as an actor is that lately he's come off like he's been coasting a bit and maybe being lazy in his choices. Substituting heaps of "intensity" for nuance or, you know, acting. But, yeah, at the same time he's done a good job picking his projects this decade and he's almost always interesting to watch onscreen

I did mention that he's still one of my favourite actors, so I fully agree with you on the 'hitting the notes well' thing. Still with you on his recent choices too. As good as The Dark Knight is, I think Bale simply activated 'intense, gravely voice mode' and let it fly. I'm hoping he took a few more risks in Public Enemies which I still haven't seen.

ilovemovies wrote:
But I absolutely hated The New World. One of THE most boring movies I have ever seen! It's a good looking movie, with great cinematography, but an absolute chore to sit through.

You know the first time I saw this I started to fall asleep. I gave it another chance when I was fresher and fell in love with the imagery. I think it is, for want of a better word, poetic.

Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:26 pm
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:

You know the first time I saw this I started to fall asleep. I gave it another chance when I was fresher and fell in love with the imagery. I think it is, for want of a better word, poetic.

It is a pretty good movie. I think the first half is much better than the second half, basically because of how everything starts and you see first contact between the Europeans and Indians. To me, the movie should've been called "Pocahontas" though, because it really, really starts to focus on her during the second half. A lot of credit has to go to Q'orianka Kilcher for doing a simply outstanding job, carrying the film on her shoulders for the most part during the second half. However, you really start to feel the drag about the last 20-30 minutes, plus Bale's character wasn't really developed that much, one of the main problems I had with the movie. Colin Farrell doesn't get much recognition for his performance in this movie either, I think it's one of his better ones.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight (**** out of ****)
Batman Begins (***1/2 out of ****)
Reign of Fire (*** out of ****)
Newsies (*** out of ****)
Terminator: Salvation (*** out of ****)

I assume we're not including voice-over work, since no one has mentioned Pocohontas.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:45 am
I feel that he was better in Batman Begins than he was in Dark Knight.
That may have something to do with the fact that he had more to do i the BB than in DK
I also feel that he seemed to be shouting too much "as batman" in DK.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 am
p604 wrote:
That may have something to do with the fact that he had more to do i the BB than in DK

I agree, I always thought he sounded pretty cheesy and ridiculous whenever he shouted in DK, he just sounded like he was trying way too hard to sound tough and it just came across as very forced and unnnatural.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:50 pm
Vexer wrote:
p604 wrote:

I agree, I always thought he sounded pretty cheesy and ridiculous whenever he shouted in DK, he just sounded like he was trying way too hard to sound tough and it just came across as very forced and unnnatural.

I've seen, and heard, this criticism a few times. I understand why people would call it a mistake. But, and maybe I'm just an apologist for the film, his voice in TDK indicates how troubled Bruce Wayne really is. It seemed like an affect picked up to further sell himself on his mystique. It's a small-ish acting choice but effective in convincing me that Bruce Wayne should probably get to the psychiatrist ASAP. So, yes, forced and unnatural. Quite fitting for a man that dresses up like a bat.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:41 am
majoraphasia wrote:

I've seen, and heard, this criticism a few times. I understand why people would call it a mistake. But, and maybe I'm just an apologist for the film, his voice in TDK indicates how troubled Bruce Wayne really is. It seemed like an affect picked up to further sell himself on his mystique. It's a small-ish acting choice but effective in convincing me that Bruce Wayne should probably get to the psychiatrist ASAP. So, yes, forced and unnatural. Quite fitting for a man that dresses up like a bat.

^ Exactly. If he talked normal while in the batsuit people would pick up on his voice and his disguise would have no purpose. I'm glad they add in small details like this because in all of the other movies they just talked normal and anyone who would have had contact with Bruce Wayne would have known it was him instantly.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:24 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Vexer wrote:
p604 wrote:

I understand that, but he just sounded so ridiculous that I just couldn't take him seriously, and i'm sure Bale could've conveyed Bruce Wayne as being troubled without making him sound like he'd smoked an entire pack of cigarettes.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:55 am
Vexer wrote:
I understand that, but he just sounded so ridiculous that I just couldn't take him seriously, and i'm sure Bale could've conveyed Bruce Wayne as being troubled without making him sound like he'd smoked an entire pack of cigarettes.

I like Christian Bale. He's a good actor and he often chooses interesting projects. The caveat is that I'm not sold on him being a great actor. He's turned in a few great performances, yes, but he has yet to really impress me with a turn as someone that isn't deeply affected. He made the choice to give us a Wayne/Batman with a raspy voice. It worked for me because the rest of the film impressed me so. But I have no doubt that it could've been done a little more elegantly. It wasn't. I forgive the movie that trespass. If it is a trespass.

And so, for the rest, the list. I'm temporarily adopting the 4-star thing. The first star? That's for the movie. The second star is for his performance in the movie. The ones in smaller, 85-pt font have gone unseen by me as of this date. Let's watch!

Little Women
The Dark Knight (****, ***)
Batman Begins (***1/2, ***)
Terminator Salvation
Captain Corelli's Mandolin
Equilibrium
Public Enemies (**, **)
The Prestige (****, ***1/2)
3:10 to Yuma (***, ***1/2)
The Machinist (**1/2, ****)
Reign of Fire (*, **)
Rescue Dawn (***, ***1/2)
Laurel Canyon
Shaft (***, ***1/2)
The New World (***, ***)
American Psycho (***1/2, ****)

Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:21 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I like Christian Bale. He's a good actor and he often chooses interesting projects. The caveat is that I'm not sold on him being a great actor. He's turned in a few great performances, yes, but he has yet to really impress me with a turn as someone that isn't deeply affected. He made the choice to give us a Wayne/Batman with a raspy voice. It worked for me because the rest of the film impressed me so. But I have no doubt that it could've been done a little more elegantly. It wasn't. I forgive the movie that trespass. If it is a trespass.

And so, for the rest, the list. I'm temporarily adopting the 4-star thing. The first star? That's for the movie. The second star is for his performance in the movie. The ones in smaller, 85-pt font have gone unseen by me as of this date. Let's watch!

Little Women
The Dark Knight (****, ***)
Batman Begins (***1/2, ***)
Terminator Salvation
Captain Corelli's Mandolin
Equilibrium
Public Enemies (**, **)
The Prestige (****, ***1/2)
3:10 to Yuma (***, ***1/2)
The Machinist (**1/2, ****)
Reign of Fire (*, **)
Rescue Dawn (***, ***1/2)
Laurel Canyon
Shaft (***, ***1/2)
The New World (***, ***)
American Psycho (***1/2, ****)
Well i guess it bothered me more then most people cause frankly, I didn't think DK was a masterpiece really, it was a great movie sure, but I think James 4 star rating was overly generous IMO.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:33 pm
Blace wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

^ Exactly. If he talked normal while in the batsuit people would pick up on his voice and his disguise would have no purpose. I'm glad they add in small details like this because in all of the other movies they just talked normal and anyone who would have had contact with Bruce Wayne would have known it was him instantly.

I'm pretty sure his voice underwent some sort of electronic adjustment. My only question is whether Batman electronically adjusts his voice to fool the residents of Gotham or whether Chris Nolan adjusts Christian Bale's voice to make him sound tougher to the audience.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:21 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Blace wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

I'm pretty sure his voice underwent some sort of electronic adjustment. My only question is whether Batman electronically adjusts his voice to fool the residents of Gotham or whether Chris Nolan adjusts Christian Bale's voice to make him sound tougher to the audience.

Being based on a dark comic book character I think Nolan felt compelled artistically to use voice as a means to morph him into that embodiment of, I dunno, (pick your adjective)frustrated vengeance that Bruce Wayne became as Batman. Was it effective, probably not, but you can't win em all.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:43 pm
American Psycho - 7.5/10
Equilibrium - 7.5/10
Batman Begins - 9/10
Harsh Times - 7.5/10
Rescue Dawn - 7.5/10
The Prestige - 9/10
3:10 to Yuma - 8/10
I'm Not There - 8/10
The Dark Knight - 10/10
Terminator Salvation - 6.5/10
Public Enemies - 3/10

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:11 am
The Dark Knight A+
The Prestige, A+
Batman Begins A+
Equilibrium, A
The Machinist, A-
American Psycho, B+
3:10 to Yuma, B+
Rescue Dawn, B+
Public Enemies, B
Terminator Salvation, B
Pocahontas, B
The New World, B-
Reign of Fire, B-
Laurel Canyon, C+
Captain Corelli's Mandolin, C
I'm Not There, C-

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:04 pm
Bale's movies. Tiered by quality of the movie, not necessarily Bale himself.

"GOOD, BUT NOT GREAT" TIER

Empire of the Sun
American Psycho
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight

"IT WAS ALRIGHT" TIER

Newsies
The Machinist
3:10 to Yuma

"I'VE SEEN IT, BUT DIDN'T REALIZE HE WAS IN IT" TIER

Swing Kids
Pocahontas
Shaft
Reign of Fire

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:50 pm
You know what else he did that I didn't know about until after I watched the movie...he dubbed the titular voice in Howl's Moving Castle.

Did a good job, too.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:16 pm
Bones wrote:
The Dark Knight - 10/10
Batman Begins - 9/10
3:10 to Yuma - 8/10
The Prestige - 8/10
Rescue Dawn - 8/10
American Psycho - 7/10
Shaft - 7/10
The Machinist - 6/10
Equilibrium - 5/10
Terminator Salvation - 4/10
The New World - 3/10

Public Enemies - 6/10

ed_metal_head wrote:
Blace wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

I thought the "Batman voice" was actually better done in DK than in BB. That said, there is one spot where it almost takes me completely out of the movie. It's the only time for me that it really doesn't work. "This city... just showed you... that it's full... of people... ready to believe... in good." I realize he had just gotten the crap beaten out of him, but that would have been a nice moment for the hero to miraculously recover in time to deliver the important line without sounding like Baritone Shatner.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:18 pm
"His voice sounds dumb!" is the most asinine possible criticism of the new Batman movies. I get the feeling that a lot of the people who claim to hate it so much are rightly recognizing that there are flaws with the movies, but are harping on the only one that they're sophisticated enough to recognize. That or they understand far less about acting than they think they do, and equate "His voice sounds dumb!" with "Bale is a bad actor/the worst Batman/the Cookie Monster/whatever."

I don't know if Bale is the best live-action Batman, because none of the other guys bother to act when they're in the suit.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:29 pm
Ken wrote:
"His voice sounds dumb!" is the most asinine possible criticism of the new Batman movies. I get the feeling that a lot of the people who claim to hate it so much are rightly recognizing that there are flaws with the movies, but are harping on the only one that they're sophisticated enough to recognize. That or they understand far less about acting than they think they do, and equate "His voice sounds dumb!" with "Bale is a bad actor/the worst Batman/the Cookie Monster/whatever."

I don't know if Bale is the best live-action Batman, because none of the other guys bother to act when they're in the suit.

Cookie Monster? Hmmm, maybe Batman should lay down a death metal track in the next film. Does anyone have Chris Nolan's number?

Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:00 am
majoraphasia wrote:
So, yes, forced and unnatural. Quite fitting for a man that dresses up like a bat.

Oh, me. That was delightful :D

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:01 pm