Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:24 am

Directors who Act 
Post Re: Directors who Act
neco82 wrote:
[quote="panos75"
Sidney Pollack was also pretty good. He was hilarious in "Tootsie" and suitably sleazy in "Eyes Wide Shut".

I may be in the minority, but I thought Pollack was godawful in Eyes Wide Shut. He just came across as forced to me.

He was way better in Michael Clayton and Changing Lanes (where he plays a much better sleazeball).

As previously mentioned, Clint Eastwood is the gold standard. He's a master, whether he's acting or directing.

I'd also add Harold Ramis... I've always found the guy funny.[/quote]

I agree with Sydney Pollack in Michael Clayton, he was able to give the charactor great depth with the limited screen time that he had.

I also agree with Harold Ramis. It is often forgetten that he is also a great comic actor as well as a Good (although he has missed the mark in last few years) director.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:32 am
George Clooney

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:38 am
There was the mention of Eli Roth earlier in the thread. What did you guys think of him in Basterds?

I thought he did the job that was required...no more, no less. He seemed a bit over the top after he handled that German sergeant maybe. But that fool makes me laugh speaking Eye-talian.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:19 pm
ram1312 wrote:
There was the mention of Eli Roth earlier in the thread. What did you guys think of him in Basterds?

I thought he did the job that was required...no more, no less. He seemed a bit over the top after he handled that German sergeant maybe. But that fool makes me laugh speaking Eye-talian.

I liked Roth in IB. He seemed more of a plucky young sidekick like Robin or Fallout Boy and he did that pretty well. But I can see how others might call him annoying

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:21 pm
ram1312 wrote:

I thought he was wonderful in the role. His performance, the entirety of it, reminded me of Mifune in that early scene in 'Yojimbo' where he gives that dog, holding a severed hand in its mouth,that look. He's at once tired and sad ("They give you that medal for killing Jews?") and, moments later, nothing less than undiluted hostility. He played both human and cartoon - a perfect fit for a movie that gets to have it both ways.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:31 pm
Human and cartoon...it does make perfect sense in Tarantino's world there.

And holy shit guys, we forgot about Orson Welles. Masterful acting and direction in Citizen Kane.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:41 pm
Director

Spike Lee does okay when he acts. He's not as good an actor as he is a director. But he did a good job acting in Do The Right Thing.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:44 pm
Martin Scorcese's scene in Taxi Driver has rightly been mentioned already (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tiHTm6nBUw), but he also had some nice supporting turns in Akira Kurosawa's Dreams (as Vincent van Gogh!) and Robert Redford's Quiz Show, among others. Not big roles, but he acquitted himself admirably in front of the camera.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:25 am
Blonde Almond wrote:
Martin Scorcese's scene in Taxi Driver has rightly been mentioned already (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tiHTm6nBUw), but he also had some nice supporting turns in Akira Kurosawa's Dreams (as Vincent van Gogh!)

:!: When did you see Dreams, Bloandy? I wasn't a big fan, but that Scorsese scene is probably my favourite in the movie. I also like to point out that he played Van Gogh and I'm partial to using an exclamation point when doing so too.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:33 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
Martin Scorcese's scene in Taxi Driver has rightly been mentioned already (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tiHTm6nBUw), but he also had some nice supporting turns in Akira Kurosawa's Dreams (as Vincent van Gogh!)

:!: When did you see Dreams, Bloandy? I wasn't a big fan, but that Scorsese scene is probably my favourite in the movie. I also like to point out that he played Van Gogh and I'm partial to using an exclamation point when doing so too.

I watched it for the first time back in February. I liked it enough (7/10), although like pretty much any collection of short stories some of them are much more effective than others. I remember enjoying the Scorcese segment, as well as the first couple and the final one. Some of the later segments started to get a little too preachy, but overall I found the film to be interesting.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:49 pm
Re reading this thread, it always comes back to Clint. Nobody else is even close.
Rob

Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:55 pm