Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:51 am

Best Writer/Director Frequent Collaborators 
Post Best Writer/Director Frequent Collaborators
I'm looking for some frequent (and excellent) writer/director collaborators/tions that perhaps you've noticed and followed for a bit. Think Schrader/Scorsese and you'll understand what I mean.

As I've stated before, the team of Krysztof Kieslowski and Krzysztof Piesiewicz is, in my opinion, the best in recent cinema history. But I'd like to know what you think and if you have a few other teams to add to the list.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:09 am
Post Re: Best Writer/Director Frequent Collaborators
Do the Coen brothers count?

Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:34 pm
Pedro wrote:

I was going to go with the Nolan brothers as well.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:02 pm
Martin Scorsese and Paul Schrader. I'd love to see them work together again.

Clint Eastwood seemed to bring out the best in Paul Haggis.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:51 pm
Charlie Kauffman and Spike Jonze? It's only been 2 movies but they are both amazing. Kauffman is into directing now, so we might not see them together again, but I sure hope we do.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:07 pm
Yeah, I'm ashamed that I couldn't think of anybody here, but Kauffman with both Jonze and Gondry is pretty solid

Looks like Chaz might be directing his own scripts from here on out, though

Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:09 pm
Director

Michael Bay and Uwe Boll.

Oh, just imagine!

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:

Oh, just imagine!

Yeah! That would be awesome! :D

Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:48 pm
Vexer wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

Oh, just imagine!

Yeah! That would be awesome! :D

But you two are forgetting the most important part of this question...neither Bay or Boll are perceived as writers and I'm pretty sure Bay doesn't write.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:54 pm
Director

Patrick wrote:

But you two are forgetting the most important part of this question...neither Bay or Boll are perceived as writers and I'm pretty sure Bay doesn't write.

"Hi my name's Patrick. I like to turn down awesome ideas just for the sake of being a thread and idea-killer. In my spare time I watch crappy movies and hang out with Danny Trejo. And that's all you need to know about me."

Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
Are you implying that Danny Trejo isn't awesome to be around?

Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:10 pm
Director

Patrick wrote:
Are you implying that Danny Trejo isn't awesome to be around?

Not at all

Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
I would like to add Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson to the discussion. Wes Anderson's films haven't been as good (although they're still good) without Wilson as his co-writer.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:45 am
mkratzer21 wrote:
I would like to add Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson to the discussion. Wes Anderson's films haven't been as good (although they're still good) without Wilson as his co-writer.

Agreed. Owen Wilson seems to hold Wes Anderson's penchant for wandering off into the stratosphere in check. Anderson's work with Noah Baumbach has been a precipitous decline in quality that either evinces Anderson isn't particularly gifted as a writer or my dislike of Baumbach's solo work (Margot at the Wedding, the terrible Kicking and Screaming) is being reflected in my dislike for the last couple Anderson films.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:41 am
Pedro wrote:

Definitely.

Blace wrote:
I was going to go with the Nolan brothers as well.

And another great addition. I hadn't even thought of the Nolans as I've given sole credit to Christopher all this long while. I should have done some homework -- their work together this past decade has been some of the most profitable of any duo I could name.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:43 am
PeachyPete wrote:
Charlie Kauffman and Spike Jonze? It's only been 2 movies but they are both amazing. Kauffman is into directing now, so we might not see them together again, but I sure hope we do.

I want them to do at least one more movie together. It doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon, unfortunately.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:46 am
These are difficult because I'm never quite sure how much the writer actually added.

For instance, Ryuzo Kikushima co-wrote 9 movies with Akira Kurosawa, but to me there is nothing special that differentiates those movies with the rest of Kurosawa's output.

Ben Hecht did a couple with Howard Hawks and a few more with Alfred Hitchock, so he should certainly qualify.

Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:09 pm
Is it cheating if I couple Preston Sturges the writer with Preston Sturges the director? Hmmm? Probably is.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:45 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Is it cheating if I couple Preston Sturges the writer with Preston Sturges the director? Hmmm? Probably is.

You can make a best writer-director thread if you want.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:37 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
mkratzer21 wrote:

Agreed. Owen Wilson seems to hold Wes Anderson's penchant for wandering off into the stratosphere in check. Anderson's work with Noah Baumbach has been a precipitous decline in quality that either evinces Anderson isn't particularly gifted as a writer or my dislike of Baumbach's solo work (Margot at the Wedding, the terrible Kicking and Screaming) is being reflected in my dislike for the last couple Anderson films.

I haven't seen Margot at the Wedding or Kicking and Screaming yet, but I really liked The Squid and the Whale. I enjoyed The Life Aquatic (and obviously haven't seen The Fantastic Mr. Fox), but thought The Darjeeling Limited was Anderson's weakest film. But hopefully Owen Wilson will write another movie with him soon.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:39 am