Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:18 pm

Best movie-going experience 
Post Best movie-going experience
I'm sure we all have our shares of theater-nightmares but I want to focus on the good theater experiences. Those times when the theater was packed, everyone was having a good time and nobody was a jack-ass, I'm sure they exist for you guys.

Here's my best experiences:

Sin City
Grindhouse
Enchanted - Nothing beats being the only guy in a theater
Inside - I saw this at Horrorhound with hardened gore-hounds.....and they were grossed out and crying like babies over the ending gore set-piece, as was I.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:24 pm
Post Re: Best movie-going experience
The re-release of The Exorcist into theaters.

Getting to see the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre on a big screen, complete with awesome MONO sound and washed out colors in the print.

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. This was the only movie I have been to where people cheered! And they did it when Strider defeats the Urukai leader in the forest battle. People got up even!

Watching 300 and then having a stranger overhear a conversation and mention that some scenes he felt may have been inspired by Frank Frazetta. Blew me away! Not many people know of Frazetta's work in my experience so that was really cool. And we hadn't been talking about that which made it better!

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:31 pm
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. This was the only movie I have been to where people cheered!

I went to a midnight opening-night showing of Army of Darkness at (the now defunct) Studio 28 in Grand Rapids, MI; given the cult following of the Evil Dead movies, the theater was absolutely packed with an extremely enthusiastic (and eccentric) crowd. Needless to say, when we hit this line...
Quote:
Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

...absolute mayhem ensued for several minutes. Easily the most fun I've ever had at a movie theater, that crowd was nuts :)

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:21 pm
Talisker wrote:
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. This was the only movie I have been to where people cheered!

I went to a midnight opening-night showing of Army of Darkness at (the now defunct) Studio 28 in Grand Rapids, MI; given the cult following of the Evil Dead movies, the theater was absolutely packed with an extremely enthusiastic (and eccentric) crowd. Needless to say, when we hit this line...
Quote:
Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

...absolute mayhem ensued for several minutes. Easily the most fun I've ever had at a movie theater, that crowd was nuts :)

Speaking of eccentric...I forgot my first midnight viewing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. That song lyric the freaks come out at night wasn't messing about! :)

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:01 pm
I saw Signs in a packed theater opening night and everyone was into it. I thought the movie was a classic.

Subsequent viewings were not so kind to the film.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:14 pm
Trevor wrote:
I saw Signs in a packed theater opening night and everyone was into it. I thought the movie was a classic.

Subsequent viewings were not so kind to the film.

I saw that with friends in the theatre, and we eviscerated the movie...out loud. I hate to say that I used to be one of those obnoxious teenagers at the movies, but only if they were terrible. Actually the only ones I can remember are Signs, and Wrong Turn. I mean...water? Really? Wait...was was the twist in the movie before Signs? Oh yeah...

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:12 am
The Kinepolis in Brussels was for many years the largest cinema in the world - it maybe still is.

I had a senior marketing role in a US company who's European HQ was based in Brussels. I lived in Brussels for 8 years. We frequently used Kinepolis for marketing events and i became quite friendly with the owners. I had a free unlimited pass and saw over 100 films a year!

To get a picture of this gargantuan monster. 25 screens (plus an IMAX) all with wall to wall, floor to ceiling huge screens. It seats over seven thousand people and when I left, accounted for 20% of the entire countries admissions! Everything was state of the art from the sound, to the projection to the the layout of each stadium theater. The smallest screen was bigger than most large screens in the average multiplex here.

I had to revisit Belgium and timed my flight to enable me to land in Zaventum airport which was next to the Kinepolis for the first show. I popped into my old haunt and asked for a ticket to Strange Days, the sci fi actioner from 1995. They told me that the screen was closed for repair. My good fortune had the owner at the desk, who recognized me and saw the issue.

They opened screen 13 (490 seats) and gave me a private showing with the sound cranked in DTS. It was amazing.

I doubt that many people will be in Brussels. In case you do, go check out this theater. It's a small city!

Rob

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:06 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
The Kinepolis in Brussels was for many years the largest cinema in the world - it maybe still is.

I had a senior marketing role in a US company who's European HQ was based in Brussels. I lived in Brussels for 8 years. We frequently used Kinepolis for marketing events and i became quite friendly with the owners. I had a free unlimited pass and saw over 100 films a year!

To get a picture of this gargantuan monster. 25 screens (plus an IMAX) all with wall to wall, floor to ceiling huge screens. It seats over seven thousand people and when I left, accounted for 20% of the entire countries admissions! Everything was state of the art from the sound, to the projection to the the layout of each stadium theater. The smallest screen was bigger than most large screens in the average multiplex here.

I had to revisit Belgium and timed my flight to enable me to land in Zaventum airport which was next to the Kinepolis for the first show. I popped into my old haunt and asked for a ticket to Strange Days, the sci fi actioner from 1995. They told me that the screen was closed for repair. My good fortune had the owner at the desk, who recognized me and saw the issue.

They opened screen 13 (490 seats) and gave me a private showing with the sound cranked in DTS. It was amazing.

I doubt that many people will be in Brussels. In case you do, go check out this theater. It's a small city!

Rob

Great story.

Also, Strange Days is a very good sci-fi film.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:18 am
All-time best was Zoolander, went with heaps of friends, was packed and everyone was on the floor laughing.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:55 am
Seeing The Dark Knight three days early in a packed IMAX theater with my then girlfriend was a lot of fun. My excitement leading up to the film probably heightened the experience. I don't think any other event film was or will be as unique as that one. Seeing No Country For Old Men the first time was very similar, though it was on a Saturday night after it opened.

Any legitimately funny comedy I saw (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Superbad, Clerks II, etc.) in a crowded theater was a great time.

Most other experiences kind of blend together. Most of them are great - and that's why I go to the movie theater - but that doesn't mean they can't blend.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:39 am
Ok, here's one to make you all jealous :-)

I am British and used to live in London. In 1987 my friend managed to get me a ticket to an exclusive premiere of a new film at London Leicester Square. Many premieres are held in the large theaters on that square.

There was a real air of excitement in the packed auditorium as the announcer got up and said that the director was here and would say a few words to us all. An obviously shy man stood up and mumbled some words that I could not hear. I was not close to the front. However, to see this was a moment I have never forgotten. The director disappeared and the lights went down.

The film was spectacular.

So, a question. Who was the director that i was in such awe of and what was the film?

Rob

Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:40 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:

I am British and used to live in London. In 1987 my friend managed to get me a ticket to an exclusive premiere of a new film at London Leicester Square. Many premieres are held in the large theaters on that square.

There was a real air of excitement in the packed auditorium as the announcer got up and said that the director was here and would say a few words to us all. An obviously shy man stood up and mumbled some words that I could not hear. I was not close to the front. However, to see this was a moment I have never forgotten. The director disappeared and the lights went down.

So, a question. Who was the director that i was in such awe of and what was the film?

Rob

It sounds like Woody Allen and probably Radio Days.

Granted you could've been a lot more specific

Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:50 pm
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Rob

It sounds like Woody Allen and probably Radio Days.

Granted you could've been a lot more specific

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for trying.

If I'd been any more specific I think it would have been too obvious and spoiled any fun.

I'd love to have been in the presence of Woody Allen. I really like Radio days very much!
However, IMHO this was much better.

If another guess comes along that it not right, I'll give it another clue

Rob

Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:59 pm
Hmm David Lynch and Blue Velvet?

Lynch seems pretty anti-social

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:01 pm
Patrick wrote:
Hmm David Lynch and Blue Velvet?

Lynch seems pretty anti-social

Wow, was it really so long ago that there was Blue velvet?

Nope :-)

Much, much bigger than David Lynch

The director had his famed disheveled look about him, when he stood up and seemed to shuffle rather than walk purposefully.

Rob

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:09 pm
Sounds like Burton.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:16 pm
Pedro wrote:
Sounds like Burton.

Hi Pedro

Good effort. Tim Burton's first major film came out in 1988. However, it certainly does sound like him.
In England we would probably not have seen much before Beetlejuice.

Next clue - James is about to get a stronger connection to this director :-)

Rob

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:36 pm
Stanley Kubrick and Full Metal Jacket

If I'm right you're a bastard and I hate you so much.
Also, if I'm right I thought he was social and he could walk instead of shuffle

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:39 pm
Patrick wrote:
Stanley Kubrick and Full Metal Jacket

If I'm right you're a bastard and I hate you so much.
Also, if I'm right I thought he was social and he could walk instead of shuffle

Patrick,

You are right indeed. I sat in the same auditorium as Stanley Kubrick and watched FMJ!

I'm not actually sure if he stayed and watched the film though. It was hard to see.

He was smaller than I expected and at the time I was not the fan of his work that I am 20 years later.

The atmosphere in the cinema was simply electric. There's no other way to describe it
He got a standing ovation before the film even started!
It was his first film in seven years and he would only make one more

What can I say? I sat in the same theater as Stanley Kubrick :-)
Rob

Last edited by Robert Holloway on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:44 am
That's the second-most surprising thing I learned from Stanley Kubrick. The first being that he wasn't British

Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:49 am