Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:45 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Movies that made you cry? 
Post Re: Movies that made you cry?
ADayintheLife1979 wrote:
Titanic is probably the last film that actually made me cry actual tears, although I do frequently "well up" at scenes in films.

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned: In Ratatouille, when Ego tries the title dish and flashes back to his childhood, I well up every fricking time. I don't know why; that scene has a lot of power to it.

That gets me every time as well. :)

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:10 am
I love tear-jerking movies, and I'm partial to a quality chick-flick (I'm a bloke, by the way).

The emotions that get me most are pride and duty. A proud character remaining proud in the face of adversity or persecution. Or the opposite, a pompous character having his pride pricked; I think Ego in Ratatouille is a good example of this.

These get me every time:

It's a Wonderful Life

Several scenes where George's sense of duty prevents him from following his own dream. George realising he wants to live again. Mary rallying the community to help George. In fact, loads of scenes in this film.

Babe

The farmer nursing Babe back to health, and singing to him. "That'll do pig" at the end.

Brother Bear (massively under-rated, IMO)

Kenai confessing to Koda. Koda being re-united with his Mother. Sniff...

Also:
Brassed Off (The brilliant Pete Postlethwaite)
Star Trek: First Contact (Picard apologising to Worf: "I think you're the bravest man I've ever known")
An Officer and a Gentleman ("I'll never forget you. I wouldn't of made it without you, Sir". In fact, the whole bloody film)

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:27 pm
My missus had to leave the theater during Benjamin Button, she was in floods. I thought it was shit. The next day we caught Watership Down on TV, and she was off again (I was just about holding it back). To make it three for three we watched The Green Mile, which had us both crying. It gets worse that film, I know whats going to happen, but I can't help it. As for Watership Down, I don't know if I'd ever show it to my kids. I'm still recovering, from a childhood viewing. :cry:

Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:16 pm
Director

Rudy.

Now THAT'S a great sports movie.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Let The Right One In.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The second to last scene, in the swimming pool, contains so much raw vengeance that when Oskar smiles -- after one brute and two jerky but regretful boys meet their maker -- it seemed clear to me that he would be lost forever.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:46 am
I choked up at obvious ones like Schindler's List, the Sweet Hereafter, or ones that caught me off guard (the end of About Schmidt snuck up on me).

Solaris is a really emotional movie for me. And Grave of the Fireflies is just devastating.

But I can only remember truly weeping at one film: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0101526/.

The final 15 minutes of that film affected me more than I can even say. I'm curious if anyone else has ever seen it . . .

Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:18 pm
in the past 5 or 6 years?

the lord of the rings: return of the king
cold mountain
the fountain
junebug

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:52 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Let The Right One In.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The second to last scene, in the swimming pool, contains so much raw vengeance that when Oskar smiles -- after one brute and two jerky but regretful boys meet their maker -- it seemed clear to me that he would be lost forever.

couldn't have put it better myself. very awesome moment.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:35 pm
Gaffer

it's a wonderful life (at ANY part of the movie, wtf is wrong with me?)
Schindler's List (end)
Shawshank
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(escape)

Manon Des Sources
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(final tragic reveal)

Doctor Zhivago (train sequence)
Best Years Of Our Lives (Last 20 minutes)

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:49 pm
it happened, gents.(there are hardly ladies here.)

children of men - second time ive seen it - the staircase scene. i know it played for impact and normally i dont like that in a movie, but what can i say, it hit. i cared.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:09 am
eoxixis wrote:
it's a wonderful life (at ANY part of the movie, wtf is wrong with me?)
Schindler's List (end)
Shawshank
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(escape)

Manon Des Sources
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(final tragic reveal)

Doctor Zhivago (train sequence)
Best Years Of Our Lives (Last 20 minutes)

You have excellent weeping preferences :-)

Wall-E is my current fave on this topic

Rob

Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:42 am
Glaswegian wrote:
I'm not usually the crying type, but there have been a few instances...

Return of The King when Aragorn has been crowned and walks to the Hobbits who start to bow. He says "you bow to no man" and everyone else bows to the Hobbits - gets me every time.

That particular scene in LoTR gets me too.. I don't cry per se.. but a very hard knot forms in the throat. Once when i was alone, i have spent a Saturday watching all 3 extended versions in one sitting from 9 AM till evening, and i rewound (rewinded?) that scene twice..

Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:03 pm
nobody mentioned "The Champ". I was quuite young when i saw it, and when Ricky Schroeder is crying and saying "wake up champ"...

Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:10 pm
I'm on my journey crying like a baby!

Letter from an Unknown Woman is a crusher
The ending of Pickpocket is strangely emotional and got me again

Rob

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:00 pm
Movies (and shows) that made me cry...well I would have to say none off them, but there are a few where I had to make a genuine effort not to.

Revenge of the Sith: The bad guys win...big time.

The Green Mile: After the Edgeccomb execution I had to stop watching.

Evangelion: Episode 23 was bad. The film was a hundred times worse.

24: The ending of season one was very sad, though in retropect Teri would just about have to become an agent if she lived.

There's more, but in all honesty I don't want to think about it.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:41 pm
I get more choked up then actually cry usually
ones that have actually made me full-on Cry
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father- I think this was mentioned already. I was curious to see what all the fuss was about for this documentary. I knew nothing about it going in.This documentary was one of the most powerful films I've ever seen. I was a wreck by the end of this film.I cried several times throughout,something that has never happened to me in any film. It brought a mix of emotions,from sadness to anger. It was so sad and disturbing that I can't watch it again. It was to overwhelming but I do recommend it.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152758/

35 Up-part of the brilliant documentary series"The Up Series" by Michael Apted. Neil's segment...........enough said.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101254/

some that have made me come close to tears
Turtles Can Fly- Criminally underrated film about orphans living at the Iraq/Turkish Border. It's not a documentary. It shows how the kids in the village have been affected by the civil war there physically and in some cases psychologically. A Depressing film but nontheless amazing in my opinion.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424227/

Red Beard-underrated Akira Kurosawa drama. A very touching movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058888/

Ikiru-also by Kurosawa.A very touching movie as well.

Sweet Sixteen-directed by Ken Loach. pretty Depressing and heartbreaking movie but I loved it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0313670/

21 Grams-emotionally gripping

there's more but thats what comes to mind for now.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:51 pm
Polar Bear wrote:
Glaswegian wrote:
I'm not usually the crying type, but there have been a few instances...

Return of The King when Aragorn has been crowned and walks to the Hobbits who start to bow. He says "you bow to no man" and everyone else bows to the Hobbits - gets me every time.

That particular scene in LoTR gets me too.. I don't cry per se.. but a very hard knot forms in the throat. Once when i was alone, i have spent a Saturday watching all 3 extended versions in one sitting from 9 AM till evening, and i rewound (rewinded?) that scene twice..

The scene in LOTR that got me the first few times around was the scene just after Boromir tries to steal the ring from Frodo....Aragron later approaches him and is shocked that Frodo withdraws and he says "I swore to protect you." Frodo states "Would you destroy it?" Then calmly (much tension in this scene) Aragorn walks up to Frodo (who does not run) and reaches down and cups his hands around the ring as it whispers to him, and he says, pregnant with emotion and loyalty "I would have gone with you to the end, into the very fires of Mordor. Then Frodo states "I know. Look after the others, especially Sam. He will not understand."

Something about that interaction grabbed me and had me welling up. It is quite a pivotal scene if you think about it, Aragorn accomplishing what his forefather could not, conquering the temptation of the ring out of love and loyalty for his friend the little Hobbit...

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:39 am
floatingworld wrote:
Ikiru-also by Kurosawa.A very touching movie as well.

Good choice. Especially the swing scene which is one of the more powerful I've seen.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:33 pm
Gaffer

Miracle
Rudy
Rocky
Searching for Bobby Fischer
Antwone Fisher
Donnie Darko
The Dead Zone
Bad Boys (Penn)
Dead Man Walking
Cinderella Man
Million Dollar Baby
Untamed Heart

Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:44 am
JanuaryMan wrote:
Miracle
Rudy
Rocky
Searching for Bobby Fischer
Antwone Fisher
Donnie Darko
The Dead Zone
Bad Boys (Penn)
Dead Man Walking
Cinderella Man
Million Dollar Baby
Untamed Heart

I found both Million Dollar Baby and Miracle to be overrated immensely, though the former is still WAAAYYY better thne the latter, can't really remember any films that did make me cry, i'm sure I have seen some, but I can't think of them right now.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:58 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next