Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:57 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Movies that made you cry? 
Post Re: Movies that made you cry?
Bambie
The Lion King
Up
Watership Down
My Girl

But I cry way too easily, thats why I stopped watching the news.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:03 pm
I tend to cry a lot in movies. Just to name two, Marley & Me and My Dog Skip made me cry like a little girl. I love dogs, and these films hit me hard.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:47 pm
Assistant Director

Babe
Soul Food - after the mother died

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:08 pm
I'm bumping this thread- I found it totally cool how many times Grave of the Fireflies was mentioned in it. Seriously, James, if you're reading this thread: WATCH THAT FILM AND TELL US WHAT YOU THINK, PLEASE! It is honestly the best anime flick to come out of the Ghibli studio, IMO.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:08 pm
Add me who cried liked a bitch at Marley and Me.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:23 pm
I got tears in my eyes watching Apollo 13 the other night. Absolutely ridiculous, because I've seen it before, I know how it ends, and I still feel that sense of joy and relief seeing that open parachute and hearing Tom Hanks say "Hello, Houston. Good to see you..."

Ron Howard, you're manipulating me. Toying with my emotions. Again.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:48 pm
Director

At the time, I think I shed a few during Peter Jackson's "King Kong". I don't know, something the movie did connecting Kong's character to Watts' character was something I found to be touching, and how everything played out in the end, pretty heart-wrenching. Although I watched it again and it didn't have the same impact, I do remember getting a little teary-eyed at the end of that film the first time I saw it in the theaters.

That and "Rudy" I think are the only two movies, everything else I am cold and callous too. I laughed when
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Leo died at the end of "Titanic"
, does that make me a bad person? You be the judge.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:01 am
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
At the time, I think I shed a few during Peter Jackson's "King Kong". I don't know, something the movie did connecting Kong's character to Watts' character was something I found to be touching, and how everything played out in the end, pretty heart-wrenching. Although I watched it again and it didn't have the same impact, I do remember getting a little teary-eyed at the end of that film the first time I saw it in the theaters.

That and "Rudy" I think are the only two movies, everything else I am cold and callous too. I laughed when
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Leo died at the end of "Titanic"
, does that make me a bad person? You be the judge.

Nah not at all, one of my teachers and a few other people I know did the exact same thing at that part.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:49 am
Dirty Love...that Jenny McCarthy Dirty Love which I tore into.

Tears of pain count in this thread right?

Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:42 am
Bridge to Terabithia gets me every time. I'm going to watch Marley & Me later today or tomorrow, so we'll see how that works out.

Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:12 pm
Director

The ending of Batman (1989). Batman standing on the building's edge with the heroic music is pure American.

Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:31 pm
Profile YIM
Director

Marley and Me was mentioned, but I can't believe I forgot to add My Dog Skip. It came up on the TV today, and I teared up a good 4-5 times. I lost my dog of eleven years not even two months ago, and the last half hour of that movie was just emotionally ravaging. That is definitely a good movie that I will never want to see all the way through again. Watching the last half hour of the movie today reminded me why.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Well I'm kida late in the game, but I remember when I was very young (in my mid teems), I got all misty when I saw Disney's "Lady and the Tramp": the moment when I thought Trusty was dead.
BTW: Disney's classic Silly Symphony short : "The Ugly Duckling" (1939) makes me fight my tears each time I see it.

Sorry, I can't remember any 'real action' movie that made me all misty to the point of tears rolling down my cheeks. Perhaps I need to think a little harder...

Yeah, I got it: "E.T." - the end part, where E.T. says farewell to Elliott. Well John Williams' fantastic music score definitely is a big part of it. I was age 21 back in 1882 and still kinda easy to impress.....

Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:47 pm
Critic

I rarely cry in movies (yes, I know just about everyone has said that) and when I do it's usually a trickle or two (as in Grave of the Fireflies). But there was one movie I saw a couple years ago that had me sobbing like a little kid: Louis Malle's Au Revoir Les Enfants

It's about a Catholic school in World War II France that hides several Jewish students. One of the Catholic boys strikes up a tentative friendship with one of the Jewish boys. And then...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A disgruntled former employee tips off the Nazis and they come to the school. The Catholic boy inadvertently gives up his friend by turning to look at him at an inopportune time. The head of the school and the Jewish boys are led away, with the headmaster saying "Goodbye, Children (the film's title) and the Catholic boy giving the Jewish boy a tiny little flickering wave. He keeps staring at the gate his friend left through after he's gone, and then the director's voice comes on screen saying that HE WAS THAT BOY and that this "based on a true story" type story actually happened to him. He then continues by saying that they all died at Auschwitz, and that he thinks about that moment every single day of his life and he'll continue to do so until the day he dies

And I was devastated. What a movie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:19 pm
Director

I cry at a lot of movies, often from happy moments.

Stranger than Fiction; several scenes, but particularly when Harold gives Ana flours, and Harold's awkward reaching out for happiness.
Bridge to Terabithia, particularly the last scene.
In America; Sarah Bolger's Christy being so brave in the hospital and the final scene.
The Color Purple; also the end.
The Apartment:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Shirley MacLaine running through the streets on New Year's Eve.
Pieces of April there's a scene toward the end of this where a mother is berating her little girl and the girl finally just soldiers on.
The Fox and the Hound
City Lights
Dekalog. Particularly the segment for "Thou Shalt Not Steal."
An Officer and a Gentleman

Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:08 am
Director

Two movies that actually did move me to tears when I watched them are Precious and Million Dollar Baby

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:59 pm
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Two movies that actually did move me to tears when I watched them are Precious and Million Dollar Baby

Eh, the latter film just made me roll my eyes as I didn't care about Swank's character nearly as much as Eastwood intended, I predicted pretty much exactly how the film was going to end, and when it came i felt nothing whatsoever.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:49 pm
I want to simultaneously bless you and fuck you for bumping this thread Jeff W (yeah, I'm jumping on that train Pedro and Ed).
For some reason I went through and got got by a few of the posts...you bastard (I say that lovingly, you dick).

Tell you guys what...Toy Story 3 made me a wreck in front of my family...twice.

The first in the trilogy came out when I was 15. Now I'm married with 3 young ones...and it just hits. Those Pixar folk know EXACTLY what they are doing. It's crazy how those films morph into your age. Please tell me that makes some sense...or do you guys need to make some babies?

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:42 am
Director

ram1312 wrote:

Yep -- that's still the only film I've ever seen that actually made me produce genuine tears. :oops:

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:53 am
H.I. McDonough wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

Yep -- that's still the only film I've ever seen that actually made me produce genuine tears. :oops:

Add me to the list. Actually, many of the Pixar films have a similar effect on me. WALL-E frequently has me welling up; no scene in particular, but I have a feeling it has to do with Thomas Newman's incredible score.

Also, the scene in Up where Carl discovers all of the photos in his wife's "adventure" book. Damn.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:27 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next