Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:17 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Movies that made you cry? 
Post Movies that made you cry?
Hi everyone,

As a child growing up in the UK I was told to keep a stiff upper lip, but years later I started crying at the movies :-)

I'm curious to know what makes it dusty for you when you see a movie.

Here a few for me.

Wall-E - The closing sequence - I'm weeping at an animated robot?
Moolaade - A very rare Senegalese movie about female genital mutilation - yeah, I know...
Before Sunrise - The most romantic movie ever?
Distant Voices Still Lives - Another rare movie, this time from the UK and Terence Davies
Love Actually - I saw it in New York and cried for 90 minutes
Tokyo Story - realization about life
Transformers - Bumblebee suffers - just kidding :-)

Rob

Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:43 am
Post Re: Movies that made you cry?
Only two movies have made me cry:

Graveyard of the Fireflies
Bridge to Terabethia, I still damn the marketing for that film straight to hell

And these movies have almost made me cry:

Forrest Gump
Shawshank Redemption
Wall-E
Toy Story 2
Face/Off....shut up!

Also, I was basically traumatized at The Lion King

Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:46 am
Patrick wrote:

Forrest Gump
Shawshank Redemption
Wall-E
Toy Story 2
Face/Off....shut up!

Hey Patrick,

I'm ashamed to admit that after many prompts I still have not see Graveyard of the Fireflies.

Good reminder, I was invited to Pixar's amazing screening theater to see Monsters' Inc and cried at the final scene - forgot that. I had to clean up quick when they put the lights up :-)

Rob

Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:55 am
Let me tell you something about Graveyard of the Fireflies, it's like Requiem for a Dream. The time must be right to watch it.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:58 am
I cry easily. So perhaps I should list the movies that didn't make me cry, lol.

The most recent movies I saw that made me cry are:
Marley & Me (I have pets!)
The Reader (because I read the book and knew what was going to happen)
The Wrestler (Mickey Rourke was too good)

Titanic always makes me cry, doesn't matter that I've seen this movie numerous times.

Cinema Paradiso also made me cry gallons of tears, especially when he was watching all the edited kissing scenes at the end. oh my gosh, that was unbelievably moving.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:14 am
Patrick wrote:
Forrest Gump
Shawshank Redemption
Wall-E
Toy Story 2
Face/Off....shut up!

yup - cried on all these movies except face/off (can't suppress the chuckle patrick, sorry).

i saw a grown man cry (almost inconsolably - the upper torso was shaking, lips quivering type of reaction) while talking about the movie bambi... my ex-boss actually. bit creepy, eh?

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:18 am
Patrick wrote:
Let me tell you something about Graveyard of the Fireflies, it's like Requiem for a Dream. The time must be right to watch it.

graveyard of the fireflies is a depressing movie (but well made). has some really nice unforgettable scenes. sniff sniff.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:20 am
But it's Bambi! It's so aggressively sad that you want those little scenes of levity(like the ice skating) to not feel too sad. So no, I don't find it creepy that a grown man sobbing over Bambi.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:23 am
Patrick wrote:
But it's Bambi! It's so aggressively sad that you want those little scenes of levity(like the ice skating) to not feel too sad. So no, I don't find it creepy that a grown man sobbing over Bambi.

but he wasn't watching bambi. we were having some mundane conversation when he began sobbing like there is no tomorrow. and he was my boss. and it was my 2nd month on the job or something like that. i wasn't sure what to do. lol. it was odd.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:30 am
You don't have to watch something to sob, he has obviously has very deep memories of it and now he cries when he hears Bambi.

And you probably should've walked away and went back to work...or went back to work if he was sobbing in your office.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:35 am
I watched an Academy Award nominated live action short last year called Om natten (At Night). It's Danish and about three girls coping with cancer. Very personal story to me, and the scene I cried at was when two characters were talking about bravery. So human, so powerful, so fricking sad.

I guess I'm partially heartless, so the last movie I cried at before that one was probably Lilo and Stitch, and I was twelve. I wish I cried more; sometimes it's hard for me to judge a movie effectively due to my lack of responsiveness. I watch Titanic - nothing. Marley and Me - nothing. Terms of Endearment - nothing. >/ Grave of the Fireflies got a really big rise out of me, but I still didn't cry. Rawr.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:11 am
sheryl wrote:
I cry easily. So perhaps I should list the movies that didn't make me cry, lol.

The most recent movies I saw that made me cry are:
Marley & Me (I have pets!)
The Reader (because I read the book and knew what was going to happen)
The Wrestler (Mickey Rourke was too good)

Titanic always makes me cry, doesn't matter that I've seen this movie numerous times.

Cinema Paradiso also made me cry gallons of tears, especially when he was watching all the edited kissing scenes at the end. oh my gosh, that was unbelievably moving.

Hi Sheryl
Cinema Paradiso - Lovely choice. I'd forgotten that one - me too
Rob

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:27 am
'Grave Of The Fireflies' is still the most devastating fictional motion picture I have ever seen. I still wonder if James has actually seen it when he herlads 'Beauty And The Beast' as the #1 animated film, because, in my mind's eye, no animated film (and few live action films) equal the film for emotional force of this film.

On the documentary side, I might never recover from watching 'Night and Fog'. This is the most depressing and harrowing motion picture experience I can recall, and while I think it is necessary viewing for those desensitized to the Holocaust, it is still the nearest example I can form of true hell caught on camera. This film can either make you cry, or simply vomit.

For pure tear leakage the winner is really simple; 'Schindler's List' makes me cry every time I see the powerful closing sequence, which completely makes up the sequence beforehand. It's power is undeniable, and it is one of the 1.00009% of films that has actually made me cry. I can cry talking about what the film is about, and the overall fathomless beauty of the actions of Mr. Schindler.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:22 am
I have never cried while watching a movie (because I'm too manly of course).
I still hold out hope that some film will hit me so hard that I will be moved to tears, but I don't know if it will happen.
Grave of the Fireflies certainly came close, I love that movie.
I have almost cried at the end of Slumdog Millionaire both times I've seen it. Tears of joy I guess, very emotional ending.
The end of Before Sunrise had me close as well.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:44 am
a documentary film called "daughter from danang" made me cry a LOT.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:19 pm
When I was much younger it was:

E.T.
Bambi
Dumbo

...amongst others.

Nowadays, some are:

Forrest Gump (when he's talking at her grave)
When A Man Loves A Woman
Schindler's List
Little Miss Sunshine
(a little teary eyed, yeah...I know)
Cast Away(when he loses Wilson)

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:55 pm
ram1312 wrote:
When I was much younger it was:

Nowadays, some are:

Forrest Gump (when he's talking at her grave)
When A Man Loves A Woman
Schindler's List
Little Miss Sunshine
(a little teary eyed, yeah...I know)
Cast Away(when he loses Wilson)

oh yeah Tom Hanks' cries of wilson as the ball drifts away was too much for my tear ducts. that was great acting.

i got teary eyed in little miss sunshine when breslin shared her insecurities to alan arkin while he was putting her to bed.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:24 pm
The Iron Giant
WALL-E
American Beauty
when Lester is narrating after his death and the dancing bag scene is played
Stranger than Fiction
E.T. When he is all blue and weird in the canal or wherever. Oddly enough though I own the Anniversary release I have never watched it again since seeing it as a kid. I think I am afraid of ruining that feeling I had...
Phenomenon
The Ultimate Gift

Probably others but I can't think of them now...

Movies I didn't cry at but felt like I wanted to hang myself afterward! :)

Breaking the Waves
Requiem for a Dream
The Sweet Hereafter
Freddy Got Fingered

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:23 pm
-Schindler's List: At the end when he wants to save more people.
-The Shawshank Redemption: That last scene; it's just overwhelming what the two characters have gone through.
-Forrest Gump: The grave scene.
-City of God: The dance party with Benny.
-American History X: The ending really got to me.
-Saving Private Ryan: The end with the old man.
-Mystic River: When Sean Penn's character finds out what happened to his daughter.
-Million-Dollar Baby: I don't know if it was when she falls or when Clint does what he does; or maybe both?

Those are the ones I remember; I haven't seen "Grave of the Fireflies" nor some other movies that were mentioned that might be tearjerkers.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:25 pm
I must say I've never cried at a movie, unlike you wimps! Just kidding. About you all being wimps, not about never crying at a movie

Some close ones, and the scene that almost sent me over the edge:
The Sweet Hereafter (the whole movie, specifically the scene where Billy looks at the bodies of his dead twins. The camera never breaks from his face. Excruciating.)
Requiem for a Dream (Sara talking to Harry about what being on TV means to her)
Gettysburg (Pickett's Charge)
Gallipoli (the ending) This is by far the closest I've ever come to crying at a movie.
Transformers: The Movie (the animated one from 1986: Spoiler warning When Optimus Prime dies. Hey, I was five when I watched it, and a huge fan of Prime's. I was distraught for weeks!)
The Killing Fields (the ending)

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:30 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next