Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:02 pm

Favorite High School Movies 
Post Re: Favorite High School Movies
ilovemovies wrote:
Does The Girl Next Door count as a high school movie? If so, then that is also a favorite of mine.

Good choice. Pretty underrated imho.

Evenflow8112 wrote:
I sincerely hope you mean the film starring Emile Hirsch and Elisa Cuthbert and not the Jack Ketchum adaptation...

Were there even any high school scenes in that movie? I can't recall any.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:02 am
I LOVE John Hughes; Pretty in Pink and Ferris Bueller's Day Off are my favorites.

Other high school movies I loved: Dead Poets Society, Donnie Darko, Say Anything, Better Off Dead, 10 Things I Hate About You, Hairspray (the musical), Clueless, and Mean Girls.

AND Napoleon Dynamite. I can completely understand it not appealing to some people, but I found it hilarious. Also I love that it pokes fun at Napoleon but still makes him sympathetic and actually, a little cool.

Actually, looking at that list, I'd say that "high school movies" might just be one of my favorite genres.

That said, I haven't seen Superbad yet. I need to watch that.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:22 am
Director

To me the high school movie is Dazed and Confused. I've recommended that one to people and they've complained about the lack of a plot. To which I respond that high school life itself is often plotless. Seriously, Dazed and Confused is not meant to be a plot driven film. It's got plenty of humor and it is quite fun. But at heart, there's a melancholy undertone to the film (Roger Ebert picked up on that although he made the film sound depressing and it isn't). Recall the scnee where Pink observes "If I ever say these were the best years of my life remind me to kill myself". It depicts the fun side of HS and the dark side well.

Other favorites:
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
The Breakfast Club
Rushmore
Election
Brick
Empire Records (Guilty pleasure)

Best avoided:
Can't Hardly Wait
Drive Me Crazy
Not Another Teen Movie
ANYTHING with Freddie Prinze Jr

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:59 pm
I storngly disagree with your "best aovided" choices, I don't mind Freddy Prinze Jr. that much actually(god knows he's infintely more watchable then Robert Pattison and Taylor Lautner are) not Another Teen Movie is one of the most underrated ocmedies out there, Can't hardly Wait and Drive Me Crazy aren't great films but they're definitely not bad either(the latter is worth watching for Melissa Joan Hart's performance alone)

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:36 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
'Napoleon Dynamite' can go to hell.

Blasphemy! Greatest! Movie! Ever! (staring Jon Heder)

I would also put forth:
Pump Up The Volume!
Superbad
Fast Times At Ridgmont High

-Jeremy

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:02 am
thered47 wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
'Napoleon Dynamite' can go to hell.

Blasphemy! Greatest! Movie! Ever! (staring Jon Heder)

I would also put forth:
Pump Up The Volume!
Superbad
Fast Times At Ridgmont High

-Jeremy

Napoleon Dynamite appealed to a really different portion of the population. We all knew those types in school, but probably never saw them glorified to that extent. These were no lovable nerds or loathable jocks, or even the nameless rabble from in between. Lane Meyers from Better off Dead could at least strive for popularity through accomplishment, but Napoleon was going to be just as defective after as before. It's a tough and polarizing sell to make. Generally a character arc takes the path from low to high popularity and extolls on the tribulations and difficulties therein contained. -Easy A for example. Napoleon D took a loser and moved him around within loserdom.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:19 pm