Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:21 am

Favorite High School Movies 
Post Favorite High School Movies
With a high school reunion coming up next week, I need to get caught up on some appropriate movies. A few favorites:

The John Hughes trilogy (what can I say? I'm a product of the 80's)
- Sixteen Candles
- Breakfast Club
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Fast Times At Ridgmont High
Dazed and Confused
American Graffiti

Not a high school movie, but it does involve a reunion: Grosse Point Blank

Any other suggestions?

Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:43 am
Post Re: Favorite High School Movies
All good films, but what aobut Better Off Dead, I thought it was a pretty underrated high school film.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:12 am
Director

Back to the Future (that counts, right?)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
10 Things I Hate About You
American Pie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:39 am
I've always loved Better Off Dead. John Cusack is the man, and who could forget the Eddie Van Halen Burger?

And Back to the Future is a perfect example -- the nostalgia of high school, with a great story line. Still an awesome movie, almost 25 (!) years later. Man, I'm getting old. I remember seeing this in the theater multiple times when it first came out in 1985.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:58 pm
Director

The only film that comes in mind is Friday Night Lights.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:01 pm
Profile YIM
Director

Superbad.

That is all.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:36 am
Profile WWW
Completely concur Dan, Superbad is THE high school movie, in my eyes.

I'll also submit an attempted Superbad clone, Sex Drive. I found Sex Drive incredibly engaging and hilarious. Didn't really catch on that well, maybe i'm the demographic they were looking for, but they found me and it's one of my favorite comedies from last year.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:07 am
Director

stiefmo wrote:
Completely concur Dan, Superbad is THE high school movie, in my eyes.

I'll also submit an attempted Superbad clone, Sex Drive. I found Sex Drive incredibly engaging and hilarious. Didn't really catch on that well, maybe i'm the demographic they were looking for, but they found me and it's one of my favorite comedies from last year.

"Superbad" came out right before my senior year in high school, so it was perfect timing. I saw it in theaters twice, and I've seen it since multiple times and haven't gotten tired of it. Everything about the movie is hilarious, the characters, the sarcastic and vulgar-filled dialogue. To me, "Superbad" is a perfect comedy.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
My two favorites are "Three O'clock High" and the aforementioned "Better Off Dead".

Dancing cheeseburgers never looked so good.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:39 pm
Funny you should mention Three O'clock High. I remember watching that one when I was in high school, but haven't seen it since. I thought it was funny at the time, but it just kind of disappeared from memory.

And I have to agree with everyone. Superbad is probably the funniest high school movie I have seen in a long time.

Haven't seen Sex Drive yet. Added to the list. :D

And I also haven't seen Friday Night Lights. I did read the book, which I really enjoyed. Any idea how it compares?

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Napoleon Dynamite yet.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:09 pm
HomerJ wrote:
Funny you should mention Three O'clock High. I remember watching that one when I was in high school, but haven't seen it since. I thought it was funny at the time, but it just kind of disappeared from memory.

And I have to agree with everyone. Superbad is probably the funniest high school movie I have seen in a long time.

And I also haven't seen Friday Night Lights. I did read the book, which I really enjoyed. Any idea how it compares?

Ugh! I found both Friday Night Lights and Napeleon Dynamite to be immensely overrated, the former mainly cause i don't really care for inspirational sports movies in the least and the latter because I didn't see what the helll was so funny about it, I think I honestly laughed more at the trailers for Disaster Movie and Meet The Spartans then I did during that film.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:29 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
HomerJ wrote:

Ugh! I found both Friday Night Lights and Napeleon Dynamite to be immensely overrated, the former mainly cause i don't really care for inspirational sports movies in the least and the latter because I didn't see what the helll was so funny about it, I think I honestly laughed more at the trailers for Disaster Movie and Meet The Spartans then I did during that film.

If you think Meet the Spartans and Disater Movie is funnier than Napolean Dynamite(thought it think it to is also overrated)then you REALLY need to see a therapist ;)

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:06 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
HomerJ wrote:

If you think Meet the Spartans and Disater Movie is funnier than Napolean Dynamite(thought it think it to is also overrated)then you REALLY need to see a therapist ;)
What? i like juvenie humor, and being forced to sit through Napeleon twice made me resent it even more, I just don't like that movie much at all, it's no wonder Date Movie made fun of it! And bTW I already have seen four therapists, although they were assigned to me at my alternative high school, all students there were assigned a therapist each year to see in 45 minute session tiwce a week, it sounds like a drag but I really liked thearpy actually, it was very relaxing and i looked forward to going every week, heck I actually miss it now, so maybe your right about me needing therapy, though not cause of my films tastes, I just like being really mena to films that I find sickeningly overrated, cause it's fun! :D

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:23 pm
Vexer wrote:
HomerJ wrote:

FRIDAY NIGHT LIIIIGGGHHHHHHTTTTTSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's no inspiration in it at all!

I'm going to rant now...it'll be in spoiler tags cause I am spoiling the ending and I am ranting.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
THEY LOST! THEY LOST! THEY FUCKING LOST! Why was this movie made? Why do we care? And don't tell me just playing your best no matter what the result was, that town looks down on that kind of wussy behavior! It was the type of town that would easily burn the weak if they lost a game, especially the state finals or whatever last game they were playing!

Rant over

Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:03 pm
Director

Vexer, I'm glad you've had your therapy and Patrick, even thought they lost, the movie is so realistic in most aspects. I'm not saying it's one of the decade's best film, but it's a very good film.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:39 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
Vexer, I'm glad you've had your therapy and Patrick, even thought they lost, the movie is so realistic in most aspects. I'm not saying it's one of the decade's best film, but it's a very good film.

Yeah well just cause a movie is realistic dosen't automatically mean it's good, I saw that ending coming from a mile away and it just amde me roll my eyes, and to think this film spawned a TV series! :roll:

Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:39 am
I would go with Pump Up the Volume (which I'm reasonably certain no one has mentioned yet), Juno, The Breakfast Club and Say Anything.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:04 am
Director

Does The Girl Next Door count as a high school movie? If so, then that is also a favorite of mine.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:20 am
'Napoleon Dynamite' can go to hell.

ilovemovies wrote:
Does The Girl Next Door count as a high school movie? If so, then that is also a favorite of mine.

I sincerely hope you mean the film starring Emile Hirsch and Elisa Cuthbert and not the Jack Ketchum adaptation...

I think 'Election' is the best film about high school, even though it's range of satirical targets is MUCH wider than that. It's like the lean, underrated and sharper version of 'Heathers' (which I am SHOCKED hasn't been mentioned yet), and it's miles better than compromised character studies like 'The Breakfast Club'.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:39 pm
Heathers! How could I forget? Such a classic.

And I agree with you on Election. High school is the setting, but about so much more...great film.

And of course, Say Anything. Another Cusack favorite.
"What are your plans after graduation, Lloyd?"
"I plan on spending as much time as possible with your daughter, sir."

And of course, "Kickboxing, sport of the future." Made me rethink my career path (just for a second, because I would have made a terrible kickboxer).

I haven't seen I Love You, Beth Cooper. Anyone?

Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:07 pm