Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:49 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Movie that...uh...shrank on you. 
Author Message
Post Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
Yes, I realize the topic title is kinda confusing so I'll explain. It's the opposite of my Movies That Grew on You topic in the fact that you first see some movie and think "Holy crap, it's the best thing ever!" and then when you re-watch it you think "Holy crap, what the hell was I thinking?" Now here's mine

-Starship Troopers
-The Fifth Element
-Con Air(kinda, I still liked it but not as much as I did when I was 15)

Now what's yours?


Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:37 pm
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
I second Con Air. I liked it, but some of the lines by John Malkovch(MAGA UNDERRATED ACTOR) are boderline camp.

I thought Titanic was the best movie ever... until I watch L.A. cofidental and learned that the film was screwed out of a Best Picture.

I loved Lethal Weapon 4 but after re-watching the fist two and to a lesser degree the third film, it doesn't hold a candlestick to the series.


Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:41 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
Death Proof, baby! When I tell you that I watched this film in a theater full of people on the very edge of their seats I'm not exaggerating. It was a tremendous thing to behold -- insane, incredibly exciting, and about the biggest pay-off to a film as I could have hoped for. That car chase! It was gorgeous.

But I've seen the movie twice since (and without the benefit of Planet Terror coming beforehand) and it feels like molasses for about 90 minutes with the same exciting conclusion. It's not exactly a "what was I thinking?" thing but a big disappointment after so efusive a first screening. Part of it is that (I believe) neither Planet Terror or Death Proof work as well alone as they do together. The other part is that either of these movies, Death Proof especially, should be screened outside of a movie theater filled with 100+ people ready to have a great time.


Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:47 pm
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
Scarface
Dead Poets Society
Philadelphia -- I don't think it's bad, but I remember really liking it when I saw it in the theater, and when I've seen it since, my reaction is basically "boy that was a safe, tame flick"
The Doors
Night Shift
The Black Hole -- Geez, I wish I'd left this one in my childhood. It was unfathomably bad.
Pretty much every Roger Moore bond flick except For Your Eyes Only


Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:58 am
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
Lucky Number Slevin. I loved the film the first time I saw it. My jaw practically hit the floor because I thought the twists were amazing. I watched it again the next day with a friend and really liked it still. Then I watched it a third time and was bored out of my mind and didn't care whatsoever. I don't know what happened.


Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:38 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 pm
Posts: 1077
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
40 Year Old Virgin
Get Smart
Moonraker - 1st Bond movie I ever watched when ABC had them on Sunday nights; not bad until they hit space, then yikes.


Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:56 am
Profile
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
Ronin

First viewing, I was enthralled. Each subsequent viewing sees the excitement consistently dropping.

The Shawshank Redemption

I would have called this my favorite movie ever when I was 14. Now, when that number is a year from being doubled, it wouldn't even crack my Top 100. Entirely too much voiceover, and the ending just isn't as powerful when you know it's coming. I guess that's the problem with twist endings in general. Unless they have some subtext to them, the emotional punch isn't as heavy after the first time. Still quite enjoyable though. Now, substitute 'twist endings' for 'sex' and reread.


Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:21 am
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
Jaws:The Revenge, one of the first horror films I ever saw(don't ask!) and I loved it the first time, but the 2nd time I didn't think much of it, though i still didn't hate it like nearly everyone else did. In general I don't rewatch films cause I don't want to end up hating films I liked, and I don't rewatch films I hated, cause like James, I rarely change my opinions of films I hat eupon watching them a second time, I only rewatch films if their airing on TV and I have nothing else to watch.


Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:48 am
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
American Beauty

I might have stated this elsewhere in the forum already. I loved American Beauty when I saw it in the cinema and still thought it was excellent upon second viewing. The third time, though, I started to think about the methodical approach of the filmmakers in satirising life in suburbia. First, they establish the characters as neurotic and/or hypocritical caricatures and then they tear down these strawmen in order to show how neurotic and hypocritical they are. Also, rubbish floating in the wind is not poetic but a sad case of littering!


Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:58 am
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
Tuco wrote:
Scarface
Dead Poets Society
Philadelphia -- I don't think it's bad, but I remember really liking it when I saw it in the theater, and when I've seen it since, my reaction is basically "boy that was a safe, tame flick"
The Doors
Night Shift
The Black Hole -- Geez, I wish I'd left this one in my childhood. It was unfathomably bad.
Pretty much every Roger Moore bond flick except For Your Eyes Only

I prefer "The spy who loved me" this is the best Roger Moore film. Her was a bond gilr who match and sometimes Beat Bond.


Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:02 pm
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
Vexer wrote:
Jaws:The Revenge, one of the first horror films I ever saw(don't ask!) and I loved it the first time, but the 2nd time I didn't think much of it, though i still didn't hate it like nearly everyone else did. In general I don't rewatch films cause I don't want to end up hating films I liked, and I don't rewatch films I hated, cause like James, I rarely change my opinions of films I hat eupon watching them a second time, I only rewatch films if their airing on TV and I have nothing else to watch.


I admit to having a bizarre affection for this ridiculous movie. Jaws: The Revenge is one of the most bizarre movies ever, and just shows you how far a once proud franchise can sink in search of one more dollar. I still think it's absolutely hilarious, and watch it often.

I think I've recommended this before, but if anyone wants to read an excellent essay on the Jaws franchise, check out Ken's review at http://www.jabootu.com for a very in-depth and funny analysis.


Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:02 pm
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
HomerJ wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Jaws:The Revenge, one of the first horror films I ever saw(don't ask!) and I loved it the first time, but the 2nd time I didn't think much of it, though i still didn't hate it like nearly everyone else did. In general I don't rewatch films cause I don't want to end up hating films I liked, and I don't rewatch films I hated, cause like James, I rarely change my opinions of films I hat eupon watching them a second time, I only rewatch films if their airing on TV and I have nothing else to watch.


I admit to having a bizarre affection for this ridiculous movie. Jaws: The Revenge is one of the most bizarre movies ever, and just shows you how far a once proud franchise can sink in search of one more dollar. I still think it's absolutely hilarious, and watch it often.

I think I've recommended this before, but if anyone wants to read an excellent essay on the Jaws franchise, check out Ken's review at http://www.jabootu.com for a very in-depth and funny analysis.


That analysis was awesome when it was first released and it's still awesome now. The only thing that rivals that was the review of Rocky IV which turned into a review of Rocky I - IV. But not V...and Rocky Balboa hadn't existed yet.


Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:23 pm
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1478
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
agree with Unke on American Beauty. have noticed magazines that loved it when it came out, now call it overrated.

maybe some of this has to do with its style being mimicked so much by other films/tv shows since its release.


Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:35 pm
Profile
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
The Departed. I saw this theatrically and thought it was another Scorsese masterpiece. It was so good that one week later I went back to the cinema to see it again (I very rarely do this). I probably shouldn't have gone. On that viewing I liked it less. A further look on cable and, again, I liked it less.

I still enjoy the movie, but these days I consider it to be a good genre movie. Nothing more.

majoraphasia wrote:
Death Proof, baby! When I tell you that I watched this film in a theater full of people on the very edge of their seats I'm not exaggerating. It was a tremendous thing to behold -- insane, incredibly exciting, and about the biggest pay-off to a film as I could have hoped for. That car chase! It was gorgeous.

But I've seen the movie twice since (and without the benefit of Planet Terror coming beforehand) and it feels like molasses for about 90 minutes with the same exciting conclusion. It's not exactly a "what was I thinking?" thing but a big disappointment after so efusive a first screening. Part of it is that (I believe) neither Planet Terror or Death Proof work as well alone as they do together. The other part is that either of these movies, Death Proof especially, should be screened outside of a movie theater filled with 100+ people ready to have a great time.


I've never seen Grindhouse but I have seen the single extended versions of the movies and, at least for Death Proof, I like those additions (lap dance scene, Kurt Russel touching a sleeping Rosario Dawson's foot with spit lubricated fingers).

PeachyPete wrote:
The Shawshank Redemption

I would have called this my favorite movie ever when I was 14. Now, when that number is a year from being doubled, it wouldn't even crack my Top 100. Entirely too much voiceover, and the ending just isn't as powerful when you know it's coming. I guess that's the problem with twist endings in general. Unless they have some subtext to them, the emotional punch isn't as heavy after the first time. Still quite enjoyable though. Now, substitute 'twist endings' for 'sex' and reread.


Indeed. One of the better movies of that year, but the greatest movie of all time? Really?


Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:36 pm
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
ed_metal_head wrote:
The Departed. I saw this theatrically and thought it was another Scorsese masterpiece. It was so good that one week later I went back to the cinema to see it again (I very rarely do this). I probably shouldn't have gone. On that viewing I liked it less. A further look on cable and, again, I liked it less.

I still enjoy the movie, but these days I consider it to be a good genre movie. Nothing more.

majoraphasia wrote:
Death Proof, baby! When I tell you that I watched this film in a theater full of people on the very edge of their seats I'm not exaggerating. It was a tremendous thing to behold -- insane, incredibly exciting, and about the biggest pay-off to a film as I could have hoped for. That car chase! It was gorgeous.

But I've seen the movie twice since (and without the benefit of Planet Terror coming beforehand) and it feels like molasses for about 90 minutes with the same exciting conclusion. It's not exactly a "what was I thinking?" thing but a big disappointment after so efusive a first screening. Part of it is that (I believe) neither Planet Terror or Death Proof work as well alone as they do together. The other part is that either of these movies, Death Proof especially, should be screened outside of a movie theater filled with 100+ people ready to have a great time.


I've never seen Grindhouse but I have seen the single extended versions of the movies and, at least for Death Proof, I like those additions (lap dance scene, Kurt Russel touching a sleeping Rosario Dawson's foot with spit lubricated fingers).

PeachyPete wrote:
The Shawshank Redemption

I would have called this my favorite movie ever when I was 14. Now, when that number is a year from being doubled, it wouldn't even crack my Top 100. Entirely too much voiceover, and the ending just isn't as powerful when you know it's coming. I guess that's the problem with twist endings in general. Unless they have some subtext to them, the emotional punch isn't as heavy after the first time. Still quite enjoyable though. Now, substitute 'twist endings' for 'sex' and reread.


Indeed. One of the better movies of that year, but the greatest movie of all time? Really?
Glad to hear someone else found The Departed overrated, I wasn't very impressed at all when I saw it, and I definitely wouldn't want to rewatch it.


Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:15 pm
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2191
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
I had the opposite reaction to The Departed. I liked but not loved it when I saw it in theaters then I rewatched it later and I loved it. Infact, it's a movie that I think keeps improving with each viewing.


Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:51 pm
Profile
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
Vexer wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
The Departed. I saw this theatrically and thought it was another Scorsese masterpiece. It was so good that one week later I went back to the cinema to see it again (I very rarely do this). I probably shouldn't have gone. On that viewing I liked it less. A further look on cable and, again, I liked it less.

I still enjoy the movie, but these days I consider it to be a good genre movie. Nothing more.

majoraphasia wrote:
Death Proof, baby! When I tell you that I watched this film in a theater full of people on the very edge of their seats I'm not exaggerating. It was a tremendous thing to behold -- insane, incredibly exciting, and about the biggest pay-off to a film as I could have hoped for. That car chase! It was gorgeous.

But I've seen the movie twice since (and without the benefit of Planet Terror coming beforehand) and it feels like molasses for about 90 minutes with the same exciting conclusion. It's not exactly a "what was I thinking?" thing but a big disappointment after so efusive a first screening. Part of it is that (I believe) neither Planet Terror or Death Proof work as well alone as they do together. The other part is that either of these movies, Death Proof especially, should be screened outside of a movie theater filled with 100+ people ready to have a great


I've never seen Grindhouse but I have seen the single extended versions of the movies and, at least for Death Proof, I like those additions (lap dance scene, Kurt Russel touching a sleeping Rosario Dawson's foot with spit lubricated fingers).

PeachyPete wrote:
The Shawshank Redemption

I would have called this my favorite movie ever when I was 14. Now, when that number is a year from being doubled, it wouldn't even crack my Top 100. Entirely too much voiceover, and the ending just isn't as powerful when you know it's coming. I guess that's the problem with twist endings in general. Unless they have some subtext to them, the emotional punch isn't as heavy after the first time. Still quite enjoyable though. Now, substitute 'twist endings' for 'sex' and reread.


Indeed. One of the better movies of that year, but the greatest movie of all time? Really?
Glad to hear someone else found The Departed overrated, I wasn't very impressed at all when I saw it, and I definitely wouldn't want to rewatch it.


Where were you when I mentioned that Vex...or did I mention it to you? The point is, The Departed is good...that's it. And Infernal Affairs was better...despite it being Mark Wahlberg-less, the only great thing about The Departed.


Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:08 pm
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
Patrick wrote:
HomerJ wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Jaws:The Revenge, one of the first horror films I ever saw(don't ask!) and I loved it the first time, but the 2nd time I didn't think much of it, though i still didn't hate it like nearly everyone else did. In general I don't rewatch films cause I don't want to end up hating films I liked, and I don't rewatch films I hated, cause like James, I rarely change my opinions of films I hat eupon watching them a second time, I only rewatch films if their airing on TV and I have nothing else to watch.


I admit to having a bizarre affection for this ridiculous movie. Jaws: The Revenge is one of the most bizarre movies ever, and just shows you how far a once proud franchise can sink in search of one more dollar. I still think it's absolutely hilarious, and watch it often.

I think I've recommended this before, but if anyone wants to read an excellent essay on the Jaws franchise, check out Ken's review at http://www.jabootu.com for a very in-depth and funny analysis.


That analysis was awesome when it was first released and it's still awesome now. The only thing that rivals that was the review of Rocky IV which turned into a review of Rocky I - IV. But not V...and Rocky Balboa hadn't existed yet.



I love Ken's work. Nice to see someone else has read it. I think the entire Jaws essay should be required reading for any filmmaker contemplating a sequel. :D


Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:19 pm
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
I'd have to say Titanic as well. I liked it the first time I saw it, I was really moved, and nowadays, even though I have to admit that the movie is technically impressive and the ship sinking sequence is amazing to watch, I keep finding defects in it after every viewing (I could write an essay on all the little details that bother me about that movie).

That, and the fact that it screwed L.A. Confidential out of a Best Film Oscar, and that it made me see that no matter how talented he is, James Cameron is still an arrogant prick, is why I it just isn't as great as the first time.


Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:26 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1565
Post Re: Movie that...uh...shrank on you.
The Expendables. Liked it marginally when I saw it. After seeing Machete I thought to myself "Good reminder that THAT's how you do an exploitation flick".

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:24 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr