Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:34 am

Movies that grew on you 
Post Re: Movies that grew on you
Robert Holloway wrote:
Vertigo - The darkest Hitchcock of all and the most unusual. As Scorsese said, "this film stands alone". I was hugely disappointed and even angry the first time I saw it. I was so let down.

2001 - A bore fest on my first viewing

Citizen Kane - I could not understand the fuss.

Rob

My initial impression of Vertigo was similar. I need to re-watch, as most people say it improves significantly w/repeat viewing. Just haven't had time yet.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:52 am
Moulin Rouge - Hated this the first time I saw it. It was just too frenetic and weird for me. And I hated that Baz recycled pop songs instead of coming up with original numbers. But...something about it made me want to watch again. I think it was the elephant -- the idea of living in a giant elephant just tickled my imagination. Plus there was something magical about the whole “Your Song” scene. So I watched it again and loved it.

Pride and Prejudice (2005) – As a big fan of the book as well as the 1995 miniseries, I did not enjoy this massively truncated version when I saw it in the theater. Everything rushed by in a whirl of awkward moments and strangely rewritten dialogue. But upon rewatching, I came to love it on its own terms. The cinematography is gorgeous, and I adore Donald Sutherland as Mr. Bennet. When I’m in a P&P mood and don’t have time to devote the full 5 hours to Colin & Jennifer, I pop in Keira & Matthew.

The Holiday – Saw this in the theater with my mom and sisters and found it formulaic and boring. Then I kept catching bits of it on TV and getting sucked in. Ended up buying a used DVD of it and now I watch it all the time. It’s a silly wish fulfillment film, but I love it. Kate Winslet is superb; I love watching her run through the house in L.A. for the first time and freak out at everything. She makes it completely believeable. Plus her subplot with Eli Wallach is charming as all get out.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:58 pm
Terminator 3. Hated the movie, then saw the TV show, hated 3 more. Then saw Salvation and began to worship 3.

Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:41 pm
Cinema Paradiso. At first I was indifferent to the theatrical cut, thinking it was nice but forgettable. Then months or about a year later, I had the chance to get my hand on the director's cut. Bawled my eyes out, and it shot up instantly into my top 10. And the score becomes my favorite ever.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:02 pm
Magnolia(it didn't click for me until the second time I watched it)

Punch-Drunk Love(same thing as Magnolia. I loved it the 2nd time I saw it)

Pan's Labyrinth(I though it was decent on first watch but the second time I found it to be great)

Amelie(like it the first time and feel in love with it the second. such a good movie)

Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:53 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Vertigo - The darkest Hitchcock of all and the most unusual. As Scorsese said, "this film stands alone". I was hugely disappointed and even angry the first time I saw it. I was so let down.

2001 - A bore fest on my first viewing

Citizen Kane - I could not understand the fuss.

Rob

I find it interesting that your three favorite movies are also three movies you hated when you first saw them.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:33 pm
A couple mentioned in this thread, Anchorman and Citizen Kane both really grew on me.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:05 pm
Apollo 13

When I first saw it in theaters, I was a 11-year-old comic fan who would have rather been watching Batman Forever. I know better now.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:14 pm
Hot Fuzz - Absolutely despised it. Watched it a second time and it all fell into place for me.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:16 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:
Hot Fuzz - Absolutely despised it. Watched it a second time and it all fell into place for me.

I agree. Watched it again, and realized how awesome it truly is.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:44 pm
Juno and Superbad. I enjoyed both films the first time I watched them, but really didn't understand why people were absolutely heaping love upon the two, that is, until I watched them again multiple times (Juno more than Superbad). The more I watched both films, the more I came to care about the characters and their situations; and began to find the movies funnier and more entertaining.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:58 am
Also, GoodFellas, took me a while to appreciate that film.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:17 pm
I recently re-watched Stalker, Tarkovsky's 1979 epic, and was completely absorbed. There's something about Tarkovsky's deliberate slowness that I've really come to love -- so many movies start right in the middle of the action but Tarkovsky's don't start for about 45 minutes.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:01 pm
Director

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but for me it'sFrom Russia With Love. The more I watch this film, the more I fall in love with it. Everything about this movie is perfect.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:44 am
Profile YIM
FROM TODAY:

corpen11 wrote:
I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but for me it'sFrom Russia With Love. The more I watch this film, the more I fall in love with it. Everything about this movie is perfect.

FROM THE SECOND POST:

corpen11 wrote:
From Russia With Love- I liked everything when I was eight ,but grew to adore this movie at the age of eighteen.

Now where we would get the fact that you're a broken record corpen? :lol:

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:58 am
Director

:lol: O.K. I like the fact that you found another post of me saying the same thing. It's just that p[eople aren't giving the film the credit it deserves. As much as I like Goldfinger, From Russia is a better film.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:22 am
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
:lol: O.K. I like the fact that you found another post of me saying the same thing. It's just that p[eople aren't giving the film the credit it deserves. As much as I like Goldfinger, From Russia is a better film.

If it means anything, I like the broken-record thing you have with From Russia With Love. It's not only persuasive but it's got some YOU-GOTTA-SEE-THIS-NOW!!! passion that doesn't manifest itself enough on this forum.

Except for The Dark Knight.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:13 pm
Director

A few films with which I was unimpressed the first time I saw them, but did like upon another viewing:

"Midnight Cowboy"
"Klute"
"All the President's Men"
"Blue Velvet"
"Being John Malkovich"

And a few that I merely liked the first time around, but LOVED the second time around:

"The Godfather"
"Raging Bull"
"Atlantic City"
"The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:49 am
Vertigo has officially grown on me. A lot.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:30 am
Producer

Local Hero. Sort of liked it the first time I saw it, and love it more each time I watch it.

I like The Princess Bride even more each time I watch it.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:35 pm