Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:30 pm

Movies that grew on you 
Post Re: Movies that grew on you
Moovy1 wrote:
I'm with you on Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. The scene where they're debating over which records to throw at the practically harmless, maimed chick zombie approaching them in their back yard...I completely lost it...
One of the best moments in the film is when they unanimously agree, with scarcely a moment of debate, to throw the Batman soundtrack album by Prince. Anybody who has ever made a habit of selling stuff at a used music store knows that there's always that one album that the store never wants. It stays with you, defying your attempts to get rid of it. For these guys, I imagine that the Batman soundtrack is that album.

As for the question of the thread, there are far too many to count. The thing about genius is that it's often difficult to understand at first. Its greatness doesn't hit you right away. It needs time to sink in, to digest. Contrast this with insipid pop music and movies, which are meant to be enjoyed immediately and in the moment, then forgotten once the money is made.

I would estimate that the films I love more than all others tend to be films that I initially felt lukewarm about. Sometimes, as with The Godfather, they simply needed more observation to pick out all the little fine points scattered throughout, to see how utterly jam-packed with good stuff they are. Sometimes, as with 2001, the first experience is so contrary to everything you're used to that they need to be viewed several more times, just to give you time to get your bearings. Sometimes, as with Taxi Driver, they require a certain amount of life experience if the fullness of their power is going to be realized.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:46 pm
The Aviator

I just finished up a second viewing and I completely loved it. It's one of the more stylish biopics I can recall seeing. Scorsese gets some great performances, but tells a lot of the story visually, which is something that I value. It has much more replay value than The Departed and rises above its genre more too. Basically, I think it's a better overall movie.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:20 am
Moulin Rouge - When I first attempted to watch this movie I was like "What the fuck is this?" with all the absurd camera angles and fast paced nonsense that permeate the first half hour or so. I had to stop it, but my aunt kept telling me to watch it all the way through. I finally did and loved it.

A lot of the Pixar movies - I don't know why but a lot of times when I see a Pixar movie, I don't like it. I didn't like Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, etc. when they first came out. I don't know why, but whenever I would see them again I would start to love them. Not sure why but that pattern kinda repeats itself, the two exceptions being Wall-E and Toy Story's 1-3.

Clerks - When I first saw this movie I basically saw everything I hated about the 90s youth (Despite being a 90s youth.) and some of the dialogue actually offended me. When Clerks 2 came out, I wasn't particularly interested but my husband (At the time my boyfriend) begged and begged me to go with him since he is a huge fan of most of Kevin Smith's films and I finally gave in. I actually liked Clerks 2 and I decided since it had been like 6 years since I had seen the first one that I'd give it another chance, and I liked it. There are still a few exchanges that ruffled my feathers a little but I actually laughed this time. I know this sounds silly, but in a weird way on my second viewing I still saw what I hated about 90s culture but had some sort of retrospective respect for it.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:12 am
Clerks kind of reverse-grew on me. When I first saw it, and for many years after, I was very taken with the fiery writing and the way they were able to make the most of their obviously low budget. Those are still two qualities I greatly admire, but my opinion of this film has soured a bit in retrospect. I know this is a cliche, but it's hard to see it as anything more than a long string of dirty jokes that somebody bothered to document on film. I still like it, but these days I see that it has a lot more in common with the Kevin Smith films that I don't like than I may have previously realized.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:17 pm
Kill Bill 1 and 2
Pulp Fiction

I thought each movie was okay the first time I saw them, but didn't really see why so many critics would heap so much praise upon Tarantino's directing capabilities. But then I had to opportunity to re-watch each of them when they were on TV and my opinion of them only grew with each viewing, to the point where I can at least see why he's considered such a great director by many.

-Jeremy

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:26 pm
Chie1989 wrote:
Moulin Rouge - When I first attempted to watch this movie I was like "What the fuck is this?" with all the absurd camera angles and fast paced nonsense that permeate the first half hour or so. I had to stop it, but my aunt kept telling me to watch it all the way through. I finally did and loved it.

Hi there
I loved this the first time and then it grew on me
Rob

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:33 am
majoraphasia wrote:
I recently re-watched Stalker, Tarkovsky's 1979 epic, and was completely absorbed. There's something about Tarkovsky's deliberate slowness that I've really come to love -- so many movies start right in the middle of the action but Tarkovsky's don't start for about 45 minutes.

I'll be watching Stalker in the next few weeks and simply can't wait. the expectation has been building.
I need to be careful not to over hype it to myself
Rob

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:34 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
I recently re-watched Stalker, Tarkovsky's 1979 epic, and was completely absorbed. There's something about Tarkovsky's deliberate slowness that I've really come to love -- so many movies start right in the middle of the action but Tarkovsky's don't start for about 45 minutes.

I'll be watching Stalker in the next few weeks and simply can't wait. the expectation has been building.
I need to be careful not to over hype it to myself
Rob

Let me know when you get this one down. If I had a gun pressed to my temple I'd say that Bergman is my favorite director but, once I finish up with Tarkovsky, it could reasonably be him. I love a slow, epic-length movie and Tarkovsky is responsible for some of my favorites in that non-genre.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:28 am
Magnolia-My thoughts while watching:
-Okay, I hope this blind watch wasn't a bad idea.
-Oh... that old story. Oh, that's clever. What does this have to do with the rest of the movie?
-This is kinda interesting, but also kinda dull and dreary and holy crap I can't believe I have over two more hours to watch maybe I should just go to sleep after all its past midnight.
-This is really good. Really good.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:47 am
Also, No Country for Old Men. Enjoyed it but didn't think it was great, do now.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:58 pm
I think Citizen Kane might be the easiest one for me. I saw it for the first time when I was about 15 or 16, and like most who see it at that age, only watched it because it had been listed as the best movie ever made. I knew virtually nothing about film, so I naturally found it good, but not great. A few years, many movies, and a lot of reading later, I rewatched and saw it's greatness.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:38 am
Quote:
the genius of Hot Fuzz becomes apparent.

That is does...one of the best modern comedies. Period. And one I think James missed the mark on don't tell him I said that :?

And The 40 Year Old Virgin I think is too often dismissed as a great, above-average raunchy teen movie. But having seen it about 15 times (and laughing every time to be clear) there are so many honest things the film has to say. Likely my favorite modern comedy.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:51 pm
PR0METHEU5 wrote:

And The 40 Year Old Virgin I think is too often dismissed as a great, above-average raunchy teen movie. But having seen it about 15 times (and laughing every time to be clear) there are so many honest things the film has to say. Likely my favorite modern comedy.

Agreed. The movie is a string of wonderful scenes, one after another, with only a few false notes. I prefer the extended, 137-minute version but there's no incarnation of the movie that I would toss into the bin. It's also the most strangely-paced movie ever made... the first 72 minutes are the loosest, most entertaining 72 minutes I've seen in a modern comedy.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:05 am
Director

Believe it or not, Serenity. The first time I saw it I thought, "Wow, that was really good" because I had no clue what to expect. But I didn't quite consider it to be great. Then I revisited it 6 months or so later, and I was hooked. That's when I proceeded to watch all of the episodes of Firefly (and then Serenity again).

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:42 am
majoraphasia wrote:
PR0METHEU5 wrote:

Agreed. The movie is a string of wonderful scenes, one after another, with only a few false notes. I prefer the extended, 137-minute version but there's no incarnation of the movie that I would toss into the bin. It's also the most strangely-paced movie ever made... the first 72 minutes are the loosest, most entertaining 72 minutes I've seen in a modern comedy.

And it has Catherine Keener, which given every movie an extra * in my book.
Ahhh, Catherine...

Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:20 pm
PR0METHEU5 wrote:
Quote:
the genius of Hot Fuzz becomes apparent.

That is does...one of the best modern comedies. Period. And one I think James missed the mark on don't tell him I said that :?

I need watch it again so perhaps it will belong in this thread for me. It's exactly the type of movie I should like, but it left me underwhelmed. Perhaps because I had too high expectations going in.

Same with Lost in Translation, another one I have to revisit. Another seemingly perfect movie for me, but it just left me cold.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:22 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

There Will Be Blood

I guess I went in expecting something different or I felt like I'd missed something first time around. Subsequent viewings however completely changed all that and now I adore it.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:10 pm