Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:13 pm

Movies that grew on you 
Post Movies that grew on you
You know the movies that you watch and think "Not bad." Then you keep watching and watching and then you think "Holy crap it's the most awesome thing that ever existed!" So here's mine:

-The Princess Bride
-Road House
-The Rock

Now what's yours?

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:15 pm
Director

Post Re: Movies that grew on you
Lethal Weapon1&2-At first, iliked the action, but i grew to love the performances.

Sleepless in Seattle- I didn't like the film because it was boring(i thought this way in my young youth) but watching recently I really like the film.

From Russia With Love- I liked everything when I was eight ,but grew to adore this movie at the age of eighteen.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:24 pm
Profile YIM
The first 3 that came to mind are Chronicles of Riddick, The Fifth Element, and Starship Troopers. My second viewing of Riddick occurred post dinner at a family re-union, it was on television and I was watching it with around 25 of my cousins (I have even more than that) and it started to grow on me then. I can't explain it I guess I just let my guard down?

I remember being unimpressed with Troopers and Element after the initial viewing, and then going back time and time again.

I believe James described The Princess Bride as a movie that comes as close to perfection as as movie can come, and I wholeheartedly agree. It continues to grow on me.

Fallen 1998 with Denzel Washington grew on me for a bit but has faded. I think the only reason was Denzel's sick acting ability and presence, and how he managed to (somewhat) hold the movie together in spite of itself. It started with the scene in which the demon Azazel starts playing head games with Denzel's character in the cop shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=563xkXq4duw

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:45 pm
Moovy1 wrote:
Starship Troopers.

And how. I had a roommate that played it nonstop for one semester and after the fifth or sixth time through it I finally understood that the 11-year-old inside of me appreciated the movie far more than the rest. I now think of it as classic, spastic goofballery that is best watched in the company of immature geeks. We all have an immature geek inside of us, every one of us.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:41 pm
The Long Goodbye. When I first watched it, I'd recently read the Raymond Chandler novel it's based on, and I was put off by all the changes to the story and characters that are made in the film. When I rewatched it a while later, I was able to appreciate it on its own merits, and now regard it as a 70s classic.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:58 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Moovy1 wrote:
Starship Troopers.

And how. I had a roommate that played it nonstop for one semester and after the fifth or sixth time through it I finally understood that the 11-year-old inside of me appreciated the movie far more than the rest. I now think of it as classic, spastic goofballery that is best watched in the company of immature geeks. We all have an immature geek inside of us, every one of us.

You're spot-on there. I know this would've been my favorite movie when I was 11.

Woulda blown Star Wars clean outta the water.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:13 am
Leathal Weapon IV --- The only movie I remember actually flat out not liking the first time and then after buying the box set I was like..."you know...that wasnt that bad..."

But as for ones I liked, even loved and now adore:

Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Superbad
The 40 year Old Virgin
Anchorman

...hmmm...comedies I see :D

Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:09 pm
PR0METHEU5 wrote:
Leathal Weapon IV --- The only movie I remember actually flat out not liking the first time and then after buying the box set I was like..."you know...that wasnt that bad..."

Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Superbad
The 40 year Old Virgin
Anchorman

I'm with you on Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. The scene where they're debating over which records to throw at the practically harmless, maimed chick zombie approaching them in their back yard...I completely lost it...

Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:14 pm
Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix. After leaving the theater for the first time I was kinda disappointed and had it pegged as my least favorite in the series. I then bought it on Blu-ray and have watched it like 5 times and I came to realize it was the best they had done yet. HBP, imo has taken the throne as the best of the series now though.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:17 pm
L.A. Confidential, believe it or not. When I first saw this, I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about but then I watched a few more times and grew to like it more and more each time. Now, it's one of my top-five favorites of all-time.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:24 pm
Director

oafolay wrote:
L.A. Confidential, believe it or not. When I first saw this, I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about but then I watched a few more times and grew to like it more and more each time. Now, it's one of my top-five favorites of all-time.

Yes, I tried to follow the plot the first time i've seen this movie(age:9) but that older i grew, the more I FLAT OUT LOVED this film.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:40 pm
Profile YIM
Director

Shaun of the Dead for me.

Didn't like it too much at first, I watched it again, I laughed a lot more. I thought Hot Fuzz was just ok and very overrated though.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Director

DunkinDan89 wrote:

Didn't like it too much at first, I watched it again, I laughed a lot more. I thought Hot Fuzz was just ok and very overrated though.

I really like both films, but if I had to pick one, it'sHOT FUZZ.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:45 pm
Profile YIM
DunkinDan89 wrote:

Then watch more action movie until the genius of Hot Fuzz becomes apparent.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:33 pm
PR0METHEU5 wrote:

Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Superbad
The 40 year Old Virgin
Anchorman

The 40-Year-Old-Virgin
... yes, definitely. I wasn't strongly moved in one direction or another when I saw it in the theaters but, after catching the ultra-long unrated version I could better understand what they were trying to do and how over 70 minutes of set-up paid off. It's a strangely paced kind of movie and it deserved a second look. Now it's one of my favorite comedies and we're getting married in November.

Now, where was I?

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:58 pm
Patrick wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

Then watch more action movie until the genius of Hot Fuzz becomes apparent.

i support the notion.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:33 pm
Director

The Italian Job - Marky Mark remake
Dark City - for the first 45 minutes, I had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on and Keifer Sutherland's breathy dialogue was driving me crazy, but am glad I stuck with it
4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days
Elephant

Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:00 am
majoraphasia wrote:
PR0METHEU5 wrote:

Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Superbad
The 40 year Old Virgin
Anchorman

The 40-Year-Old-Virgin
... yes, definitely. I wasn't strongly moved in one direction or another when I saw it in the theaters but, after catching the ultra-long unrated version I could better understand what they were trying to do and how over 70 minutes of set-up paid off. It's a strangely paced kind of movie and it deserved a second look. Now it's one of my favorite comedies and we're getting married in November.

Now, where was I?

How sweet.

This is probably the best example for me. I didn't dislike it upon first viewing, but thought it to be only mildly funny. I didn't think Steve Carell was funny at all. I enjoyed the side characters far more. After a second viewing, I couldn't stop watching it. Carell's timing is wonderful. He's a fantastic comedic actor. Best line: I'm a virgin, I always have been. The genius of that line was not lost on this guy.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:14 am
There's 2 films I hated upon the first(and second) watch, and mind you I didn't watch either of these films voluntarily, my mother and sister loved both films so I ended up getting exposed to them several times, and what do you know? I actually ended up liking them somewhat, the films I speak of are Princess Diaries(don't ask! :oops: ) and National Treasure.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:42 am
Vertigo - The darkest Hitchcock of all and the most unusual. As Scorsese said, "this film stands alone". I was hugely disappointed and even angry the first time I saw it. I was so let down.

2001 - A bore fest on my first viewing

Citizen Kane - I could not understand the fuss.

Rob

Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:48 am