Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:36 pm

You love it, but not again. (Most Non-Rewatchable Moivies) 
Post You love it, but not again. (Most Non-Rewatchable Moivies)
ok. almost a sister thread to the other one. although evil sister would be an apt description. so...list the movies you've loved, but the thought of watching them again just doesn't make sense.

For me, Pan's Labyrinth- i love this movie. LOVE. that lullaby with remain with me forever. but whenever im browsing the library, never feel the urge to watch it. and im content. if i had to, yes i'd happily watch it, although i dont think that i'd ever want to.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:35 pm
Producer

Post Re: You love it, but not again. (Most Non-Rewatchable Moivies)
I didn't love Downloading Nancy, but I admired it. It's well made and extremely well acted. But it's a movie I probably never care to see again.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:37 pm
Bridge to Terabithia
Graveyard of the Fireflies

No movie makes me cry like a bitch and gets a second viewing.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:00 pm
Das Boot. It was an excellent movie, but I found it very draining. The length, the subject matter, the claustrophobic setting really got to me. Just gut-wrenching.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:53 am
Anything (anything) by Andrei Tarkovsky. They've all been chores to sit through and, although ultimately rewarding, they never merit a second viewing no matter how incredibly they may have been. I've got to get through this life.

Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders. It seemed spectacular when I first saw it but I knew, should I ever see it again, I'd hate it for all the pretense and laborious sidetracking.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:10 am
The Departed. I just can't get myself to put in my blu-ray copy for some reason.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:16 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Anything (anything) by Andrei Tarkovsky. They've all been chores to sit through and, although ultimately rewarding, they never merit a second viewing no matter how incredibly they may have been. I've got to get through this life.

Ahhh, a good laugh. I'll be entering Tarkovskyland sometime in August, so I'll probably be in complete agreement. I wonder if I'll side with the section of people who love his films or don't care for them. I'm guessing the former (particularly Solaris), but who knows?

Regarding the topic at hand, I loved Sullivan's Travels, Grand Illusion, Jules and Jim, Fanny and Alexander, and many other foreign films and epics. I don't think I'll be revisiting them anytime soon. Exceptions to the rule might be Seven Samurai, Scenes From a Marriage, Raise the Red Lantern, Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring, and Once Upon a Time in America. Even the exceptions are kind of low priority, though.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:20 am
Pedro wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Ahhh, a good laugh. I'll be entering Tarkovskyland sometime in August, so I'll probably be in complete agreement. I wonder if I'll side with the section of people who love his films or don't care for them. I'm guessing the former (particularly Solaris), but who knows?

The Sacrifice and Solaris are his best films. They're both incredibly dense, philosophical films that move at a pace best described as glacial. I'd probably call them masterpieces but I'd have to rely on memory because I won't ever see either of the films again. He's a bit of a genius but he's also the director of films that I'm more pleased to know exist than anything else. I hope others check out some of what he's done.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:45 am
Schindler's List - I've seen it once and loved it. I agree with it's status as one of the best movies of my lifetime, but there's no way I want to see it again. Sure, it ends on a somewhat hopeful note, but there's too much awfulness in it for me. Ironically, I own the movie and have never put the DVD in the player.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:58 pm
I'm sure that there are a few, but the only thing that comes to mind is Synecdoche, New York. It'd probably take me a few viewings to understand the whole thing, but this was so depressing that I never want to see it again. Ever.

Do watch it once though. It's worth it.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:43 am
Requiem for a Dream- excellent, powerful, disturbing film that I have put off buying on DVD because I'm not too sure if I can put myself through that again. See it once, remember it forever...

Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:46 am
PeachyPete wrote:
Schindler's List - I've seen it once and loved it. I agree with it's status as one of the best movies of my lifetime, but there's no way I want to see it again. Sure, it ends on a somewhat hopeful note, but there's too much awfulness in it for me. Ironically, I own the movie and have never put the DVD in the player.

Dude, I completely understand your feelings. I bought the DVD over a year ago and I watched it for the first time since I bought it (second time total) only about a month or two ago.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:51 am
The War Zone is one. Effective film, not interested in seeing it again.

Another one is Saving Private Ryan. Not the whole movie, though. I mean, the Normandy scenes are horrifying, but they're also incredibly compelling. However, I can't watch the scene where the medic dies. It really really got me to me in the theater when I saw it, and I still can't stand it.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:27 am
Tuco wrote:

Another one is Saving Private Ryan. Not the whole movie, though. I mean, the Normandy scenes are horrifying, but they're also incredibly compelling. However, I can't watch the scene where the medic dies. It really really got me to me in the theater when I saw it, and I still can't stand it.

On Saving Private Ryan: I remember a scene (this from the only time I've seen the movie some 11 years ago) where a soldier is going through the dog tags of the deceased while others march past in full sight of this display. There isn't any way I'll ever see this film again even if I'm remembering that heartbreaking scene totally incorrectly. It was as unpleasant an experience as it was intended to be and once was enough.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:54 am
oafolay wrote:
Requiem for a Dream- excellent, powerful, disturbing film that I have put off buying on DVD because I'm not too sure if I can put myself through that again. See it once, remember it forever...

aaaaaaaaannnd we may have a winner.

you just can't see it again. and i imagine, even if you do...the sheer power would be reduced.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:26 am
aameen wrote:
oafolay wrote:

you just can't see it again. and i imagine, even if you do...the sheer power would be reduced.

This was my choice when I first saw the topic and was not surprised in the least to see it mentioned. I only recently watched it after having owned it for quite some time. Upon watching it, I was incredibly impressed and also knew that I would never watch it again. So I gave it away to someone else who had never seen it. They have since passed it along as well.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:52 pm
Director

Tuco wrote:

You hit the nail on the head. I was going to pick both of these.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
DylnFan96818 wrote:
Tuco wrote:

You hit the nail on the head. I was going to pick both of these.

Call me crazy, but I can watch Saving Private Ryan fairly regularly. I love it. I think I've seen it about 7 or 8 times.

I don't get Pan's Labyrinth, either. Seen it probably 4 times. Maybe I'm a depressed individual, but that is in direct contrast to my self-applied moniker. I must be living in denial.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:08 am
bob harris wrote:
aameen wrote:
oafolay wrote:

This was my choice when I first saw the topic and was not surprised in the least to see it mentioned. I only recently watched it after having owned it for quite some time. Upon watching it, I was incredibly impressed and also knew that I would never watch it again. So I gave it away to someone else who had never seen it. They have since passed it along as well.

I don't really think there is such a thing for me as a movie I love but don't want to re-watch.
However, there are plenty of movies that I love but have to wait a while between re-watchings because of their power, and Requiem for a Dream is at the top of that list.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:04 pm
"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

I have seen my fair share of depressing and pessimistic movies. But for some reason this is the one I've vowed never to see again, despite the fact that it's a veritable masterpiece with explosive acting and excellent writing and directing.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:24 pm