Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:57 pm

You love it, but not again. (Most Non-Rewatchable Moivies) 
Post Re: You love it, but not again. (Most Non-Rewatchable Moivies)
The only movie that I've seen that I consider too powerful to watch again is Dancer in the Dark. It is the only film I've seen that pretty much had me in tears for the entire final half hour. An amazing achievement, but I doubt I'll ever feel the need to see it again.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:49 pm
Zeppelin wrote:
The only movie that I've seen that I consider too powerful to watch again is Dancer in the Dark. It is the only film I've seen that pretty much had me in tears for the entire final half hour. An amazing achievement, but I doubt I'll ever feel the need to see it again.

I've seen it four times and every time I say the exact same thing: "I hope I never, ever have to watch Dancer in the Dark again." Every time. There's something in it (and Breaking the Waves) that keep me going in time and again.

*Takes deep breath and prepares fist for shaking...

VON TRIER!

Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:10 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Zeppelin wrote:

I've seen it four times and every time I say the exact same thing: "I hope I never, ever have to watch Dancer in the Dark again." Every time. There's something in it (and Breaking the Waves) that keep me going in time and again.

*Takes deep breath and prepares fist for shaking...

VON TRIER!

I had that same reaction with Manderlay...the VON TRIER part...not the praise. Making me waste my time with this crap. But I don't think I have any desire to watch any Von Trier film twice and I've seen Dancer in the Dark and Dogville but I liked both of them.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:00 am
Great topic and very strange

I watched Saving Private Ryan at the theater and thought it was a masterpiece. I bought the DVd and have never watched it.

It has been sitting patiently waiting for years.

I don't know why. And interestingly, this film comes up from others.

Rob

Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:28 am
Zeppelin wrote:

It's powerful, but I guess I'm still having a hard time grasping the subject of this topic.

If I really love and admire a film, I WILL re-watch it. Maybe that comes from studying film, I don't know. But no matter how disturbing it is, if I loved it I will want to see it again. As I mentioned before, maybe not for a long time, but eventually. Dancer in the Dark is a movie that can drag you down, sure, but it also has some joyful moments that are fun to re-watch. And when you already know the ending, I would hope that you're able to not let it drag you down emotionally to the same level that it did on the first viewing.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:46 pm
Trevor wrote:
Zeppelin wrote:

It's powerful, but I guess I'm still having a hard time grasping the subject of this topic.

If I really love and admire a film, I WILL re-watch it. Maybe that comes from studying film, I don't know. But no matter how disturbing it is, if I loved it I will want to see it again. As I mentioned before, maybe not for a long time, but eventually. Dancer in the Dark is a movie that can drag you down, sure, but it also has some joyful moments that are fun to re-watch. And when you already know the ending, I would hope that you're able to not let it drag you down emotionally to the same level that it did on the first viewing.

I understand what you mean, and I was probably over-exaggerating when I said I'd never feel the need to see it again. In fact, I'm almost sure I will feel the need eventually. However, Dancer in the Dark is the only movie I can think of that, even several months after seeing, I can't possibly see myself watching again anytime soon. With most "disturbing" masterpieces a la Saving Private Ryan or Requiem for a Dream I never feel the impulse to actively avoid them, even after that first viewing, something I have felt with Dancer in the Dark. I watched RFOD for the first time only four or so months ago, but if someone came up to me and asked if I wanted to see it again, I would definitely say yes, while the opposite is true of Dancer. So while I'm sure It'll go down easier on second viewing, that doesn't mean I feel the need to find out. At least not soon, anyway.

On a side note, this topic has reminded to check Breaking the Waves and Dogville out of my local library. Thanks, "You love it, but not again. (Most Non-Rewatchable Moivies)!"

Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:40 am
The Passion of the Christ, United 93, and Eagle Eye.

The first two because they're so moving, and Eagle Eye because I felt my intelligence slowly drain away while watching.

Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:40 pm
Cinematographer

Blace wrote:
The Departed. I just can't get myself to put in my blu-ray copy for some reason.

I'm going to have to disagree. It gets MUCH better after the second viewing because you know what is going to happen, and you can catch all of the subtle hints that are given along the way. Fully understanding its complexity leads to better appreciation. I was actually kind of surprised how much more I liked it after the second viewing.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:43 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Blace wrote:
The Departed. I just can't get myself to put in my blu-ray copy for some reason.

I'm going to have to disagree. It gets MUCH better after the second viewing because you know what is going to happen, and you can catch all of the subtle hints that are given along the way. Fully understanding its complexity leads to better appreciation. I was actually kind of surprised how much more I liked it after the second viewing.

I've seen it twice on DVD, but for some reason when I bought it I never re-watched it (which is what I normally do).

Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:40 pm
Cinematographer

Blace wrote:
I've seen it twice on DVD, but for some reason when I bought it I never re-watched it (which is what I normally do).

I do this too. I have this movie on my iPod though, and I watched it uncut on British Airways to London, so I guess that its by chance that I have seen it multiple times. Sometimes when I'm flipping through channels, I will see it playing on FX, and I will watch it just so I can laugh at how much has been edited out while also wishing I was watching the DVD. It is a great movie though.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:23 am
Lilja 4-ever- one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0300140/

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father- so depressing because it actually happened
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152758/

Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:43 pm
Director

A couple firends of mine had such a reaction to Precious.While I didn't, it did take me a while after I purchased the DVD not long after its release to watch it a second time. Since then I've wathced it heavily.

One that would fall into that category for me is Beloved. It was a fantastic film for what it was and it did clobber me emotionally. But I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it again. Same goes for Nil By Mouth.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:33 pm
Trevor wrote:
I don't really think there is such a thing for me as a movie I love but don't want to re-watch.
However, there are plenty of movies that I love but have to wait a while between re-watchings because of their power, and Requiem for a Dream is at the top of that list.
This is basically my reaction to this thread. How much can you really love something if you never want to see it again?

Perhaps people are lying to themselves about how much value the movie really holds for them, and/or perhaps they're conflating their personal definition of "masterpiece" with the group consensus. The only movies I never want to see again are pieces of shit, and that includes pieces of shit that everybody else loves.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:26 pm
Ken wrote:
Trevor wrote:
I don't really think there is such a thing for me as a movie I love but don't want to re-watch.
However, there are plenty of movies that I love but have to wait a while between re-watchings because of their power, and Requiem for a Dream is at the top of that list.
This is basically my reaction to this thread. How much can you really love something if you never want to see it again?

Perhaps people are lying to themselves about how much value the movie really holds for them, and/or perhaps they're conflating their personal definition of "masterpiece" with the group consensus. The only movies I never want to see again are pieces of shit, and that includes pieces of shit that everybody else loves.

There also some films that people love but don't want to see again because of how disturbing they are, i've heard someone say that about Silence Of The Lambs.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:56 pm