Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:08 pm

Holy crap! That guy is in this movie... 
Post Re: Holy crap! That guy is in this movie...
After one viewing of Ratatouille (with no attention paid to the end credits), curious to see it's Top 250 ranking, I was treated to the cast list on IMdb. In particular, the casting of Ian Holm (Skinner), Janeane Garofalo (Colette), Brian Dennehy (Django), and Will Arnett (Horst) took me by surprise. I believe that the cast did a better than average job of camouflaging their otherwise distinctive voices. Either this, or I have no idea what Ian Holm sounds like as a pint-sized Frenchmen, something I may take to the grave :cry:

Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:07 pm
Whoa, no clue Sam Rockwell was in Galaxy Quest!

Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:50 pm
Pedro wrote:
Whoa, no clue Sam Rockwell was in Galaxy Quest!

I take that back. The appearances of Rainn Wilson and Justin Long were far more surprising.

Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:56 pm
Okay...so sometimes my wife puts on Dora for the kids to watch. Yes, Dora the effing Explorer. I loath that show. Well, there's a spinoff show called Go Diego Go. It's about Dora's little cousin Diego who has the job title of "animal explorer" and goes off to save animals that are in trouble. Yeah, a little 8-year-old going off by himself into the jungle to save lions and shit. I don't like that show either...

Anyways, there is a part in Diego where there is a camera, Click the Camera, that speaks with a thick Puerto Rican accent and takes pictures of the animals in trouble. She even sings a song..."I'm Click (beat) take a pic..."

My "Holy crap! That guy is in this show" is that Click the Camera is voiced by Rosie Perez.

I don't know why I felt the need to tell you guys that. You guys watch good movies and good TV. You don't expose yourselves to this garbage. I feel like yelling.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:16 pm
Allow me to update this thread with a few more I saw recently...

I was really surprised while watching Young Frankenstein... I had to read the credits to realize that the blind man the Creature encounters at one point is a bearded, long-haired Gene Hackman.

I laughed during the final crowd scenes in Close Encounters of the Third Kind... while everyone just stands there staring, the camera focuses for a few seconds on a very young Lance Henriksen smiling like a saint.

I also find it funny that Matthew McConaughey popped up in a recreation on Unsolved Mysteries.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:14 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Kevin Spacey in Working Girl. It's interesting how completely unknown he was back then. Melanie Griffith seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. She was a hot commodity back then.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:13 pm
Here's another one for Hook:
Gwyneth Paltrow appears briefly as the young Wendy in a flashback.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:48 pm
Steven Spielberg in Cecil B Demented, one of the funniest cameos i've ever seen IMO. also i'm surprised no one mentioned Alyssa Milano in Commando.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:47 pm
I just had one of these moments today when I was watching The Replacement Killers for the first time in a while. I saw that Til Schweiger (who recently of course played Hugo Stiglitz in Inglourious Basterds) was in this film as one of the eponymous replacement hitmen. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised when I think about it; Tarantino is a fan of John Woo's films, and so he probably also would have followed Chow Yun Fat's career in Hollywood.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:28 pm
Just rewatched Memento, Thomas Lennon and Mark Boone Junior are both in that movie.... Had no idea.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:45 pm
not a movie, but I'm currently going through Star Trek The Next Generation, and had a couple Holy Crap moments. One was seeing Ashley Judd as a young ensign getting involved with Wesley Crusher in "The Game" and the other was seeing Famke Jannsen as an alien in heat (an empathic sexual metamorph!) in "The Perfect Mate."

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:57 pm
Director

It was interesting to watch Judgment at Nuremberg and see Werner Klemperer and William Shatner a few years before they became TV stars. Klemperer did the unrepentant Nazi judge very well, too. He was chilling.

PS: There's a 1961 Movie called Operation Eichmann which starts Werner Klemperer as Adolf Eichmann and John Banner as Rudolf Höss.* Quite different from Colonel Klink and Sgt. Schultz. I've never seen the movie and it seems difficult to find.

*Not to be confused with Rudolf Hess; Höss was the first commandant of Auschwitz. He was executed at Nuremburg.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:31 am
Director

Also Jane Wiedlin, formerly of the Go-Go's, as the singing telegram girl in "Clue" and Joan of Arc in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure." Supposely she's in Star Trek IV too.

Keisha Castle-Hughes (the girl from Whale Rider) is the Queen of Naboo at the end of Star Trek III: The Revenge of the Sith. In the TV series The Legend of the Seeker, she upgraded that to being the Creator of the universe. In between, she was the Virgin Mary.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:58 am