Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:49 am

Blockbuster Directors you avoid... 
Post Re: Blockbuster Directors you avoid...
Patrick wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
After having suffered so much through Date Movie, Meet the Spartans and Disaster Movie, I think I've finally had it with Friedberg and Seltzer. I will no longer watch anything those guys do.

I've only seen 1 film by Uwe Boll. That was Alone in the Dark and it was terrible. I might give Boll another chance or two before I decide to ditch him altogether.

That's it for me. I'm a fan of nearly everyone that has been mentioned here.

I hate to say this...but give Dungeon Siege a chance. It's surprisingly mediocre.

No it's not! It is incompetently made, derivative, stupid, devoid of exciting action or suspenseful thrills, badly acted and not funny.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:23 am
Unke wrote:
Patrick wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
After having suffered so much through Date Movie, Meet the Spartans and Disaster Movie, I think I've finally had it with Friedberg and Seltzer. I will no longer watch anything those guys do.

I've only seen 1 film by Uwe Boll. That was Alone in the Dark and it was terrible. I might give Boll another chance or two before I decide to ditch him altogether.

That's it for me. I'm a fan of nearly everyone that has been mentioned here.

I hate to say this...but give Dungeon Siege a chance. It's surprisingly mediocre.

No it's not! It is incompetently made, derivative, stupid, devoid of exciting action or suspenseful thrills, badly acted and not funny.

You're thinking of Alone of the Dark.... :lol:

But that flying swordfight between Ray Liotta and Gimli was cool. And Liotta was entertaining in his scene-chewing and scene-reguritating-so-he-can-chew-on-it-again ways. Besides, unlike everyone else, I'm willing to give Boll a chance with any movie he's made and I think it's the best possible movie he can make.

And I did say mediocre, not good.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:11 pm
Patrick wrote:
Unke wrote:
Patrick wrote:

You're thinking of Alone of the Dark.... :lol:

But that flying swordfight between Ray Liotta and Gimli was cool. And Liotta was entertaining in his scene-chewing and scene-reguritating-so-he-can-chew-on-it-again ways. Besides, unlike everyone else, I'm willing to give Boll a chance with any movie he's made and I think it's the best possible movie he can make.

And I did say mediocre, not good.

Yes, of course you did. I didn't mean to say anything different. And I agree: Ray Liotta was hilarious if for all the wrong reasons. I also liked how Jason Stratham - the farmer who is named "farmer" - runs a lot from one side of the frame to the next and back again for no good reason.

Btw.: I haven't seen Alone in the Dark, but I think that Bloodrayne is even worse than Dungeon Siege.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:24 pm
Well yeah, Bloodrayne is worse than Dungeon Siege...but it's just merely horrible.

Now Alone in the Dark....that's horrid. That guy who wrote that other filmmakers can feel better about themselves cause they didn't make Alone in the Dark is right.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:28 pm
Patrick wrote:
Well yeah, Bloodrayne is worse than Dungeon Siege...but it's just merely horrible.

Now Alone in the Dark....that's horrid. That guy who wrote that other filmmakers can feel better about themselves cause they didn't Alone in the Dark is right.

Patrick, you make me waant to see alone in the dark just because I' m starting to get curious. I hope common sense will prevail.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:34 pm
Unke wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Now Alone in the Dark....that's horrid. That guy who wrote that other filmmakers can feel better about themselves cause they didn't Alone in the Dark is right.

Patrick, you make me waant to see alone in the dark just because I' m starting to get curious. I hope common sense will prevail.

Well I found Alone In The Dark to be a pretty damn fun movie, yeah it's dumb but in a good way IMO, and I didn't tihnk Tara Reid was that bad either.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:52 pm
Unke wrote:
Patrick wrote:

See it...you know you want to....and get all the ammo you can with Boll....and comfort each other when we have horrible flashbacks to Alone in the Dark.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:15 pm
Director

As far as the ones mentioned previously (Bay, Ratner) I'll say that I wouldn't necessarily avoid them as much as I'd avoid certain movies by them. Most of the time, if a movie of theirs looks interesting I'll wait for Netflix.

One whose work I avoid (and most people can probably guess) is of course Raja Gosnell.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:51 am
Director

Todd Phillips. I'll admit that Starsky and Hutch and Due Date had its moments, but his others films are nothing more than frat house humor that any other first time director could pull off, but in his case, he has a bigger budget to try and make it look professional.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:10 pm
Profile YIM
Director

corpen11 wrote:
Todd Phillips. I'll admit that Starsky and Hutch and Due Date had its moments, but his others films are nothing more than frat house humor that any other first time director could pull off, but in his case, he has a bigger budget to try and make it look professional.

I liked The Hangover. But most of his other work I didn't care for. It seemed to me like Phillips is trying to be Kevin Smith and seems to think that the way to do so is by borrowing his supply of dick and crap jokes but none of his intelligent humor.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:43 pm
Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
corpen11 wrote:

I liked The Hangover. But most of his other work I didn't care for. It seemed to me like Phillips is trying to be Kevin Smith and seems to think that the way to do so is by borrowing his supply of dick and crap jokes but none of his intelligent humor.

We can agree to disagree about The Hangover, you are dead on about my criticisms on Phillips.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:06 pm
Profile YIM
Assistant Second Unit Director

I used to avoid Spielberg for being boring, pompous, having no sense of humour and trying to corner every market. After Schindler's List which I kinda liked I stopped watching his films. Some 12 years later I saw Minority Report, a bit later Munich and liked both, but here I was interested in the subject.

So, I think avoiding capable directors is unnecessary, they can make a good movie at any point. Avoiding Transformers, Batmen and other is also not really based on the director's name. I have no interest in seeing Dark Night, maybe when my son turns 12, but Nolan is still a good director.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:59 am