Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:53 pm

Blockbuster Directors you avoid... 
Post Blockbuster Directors you avoid...
After Transformers 2 (and the rest of this summer) I have decided to stop being disappointed with summer visual extravaganzas and avoid certain directors. I'll give blockbuster directors 2 chances, if they have't made any classic movies, e.g Alex Proyas gets forgiven for 'Knowing', because he made the excellent 'Dark City'. Basically, if they haven't made a good movie, and come up with 2 stinkers, I'll leave them for DVD or not at all. I see over 100 films a year at the cinema, but too much is rubbish these days.

Blockbuster directors I will no longer give any thought to seeing thier films theatrically:

Michael Bay. (Pearl Harbour, Bad Boys 2, The Island, Transformers 2)
McGeeeeeeeeeeee. (Charlies Angels 1, 2, Terminator Salvation)
Gore Verbinski. (never forgive you for Pirates otC 3)
Steven Sommers. (Mummy 2, Van Helsing, GI Joe)
Paul W Anderson. (Soldier, Resident Evil, AvP) and this year Pandorum, which I won't see in theaters.
Brad Siberling. (Casper, Lemony Snicket, Land of the Lost)
Brett Ratner. (Rush Hour 1,2,3, X-men 3)
Rob Cohen. (Dragonheart, Stealth, Fast and the Furious, Daylight, Mummy 3)
Rob Bowman (Elektra, X Files 1,2, Reign of Fire)
Mark Steven Johnston (Daredevil, Jack Frost, Ghost Rider)
Renny Harlin.
Joel Schumacher.
Jean de Bont.

On Probation.

M Night. (Happening) Living on Past Glories. Should be in the upper list.
Gavin Hood. (Wolverine) Strike one dude.
Peter Berg. (Hancock)
Scott Derrickson. (Day the Earth Stood Still)
Tim Story (FF2)
Colin Strause. (AvP2)

Any More?

Last edited by Zedferret on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:51 pm
Post Re: Blockbuster Directors you avoid...
Well i'm avoiding Peter Jackson from now on, since I seem to be one of the very few people on the planet who absolutely HATED the LOTR series, I'll gladly take the films of ANY of the directors you mentioned, except for Shymalan, that guy's just dreadful beyond words! :evil:

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:05 pm
Vexer wrote:
Well i'm avoiding Peter Jackson from now on, since I seem to be one of the very few people on the planet who absolutely HATED the LOTR series, I'll gladly take the films of ANY of the directors you mentioned, except for Shymalan, that guy's just dreadful beyond words! :evil:

You ever seen any of Jackson's pre-LotR films? The Frighteners is awesome, Dead Alive(or Braindead) is cool and Meet the Feebles....uh, has to be seen.

As for me, I'll watch anyone cause anyone has the chance to make something that doesn't suck. But only Renny Harlin makes me wish I didn't have that mindset. This is what I have to say about him:

http://patrickstergos.blogspot.com/2009/03/renny-harlinand-why-i-hate-him.html

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:31 pm
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:

You ever seen any of Jackson's pre-LotR films? The Frighteners is awesome, Dead Alive(or Braindead) is cool and Meet the Feebles....uh, has to be seen.

As for me, I'll watch anyone cause anyone has the chance to make something that doesn't suck. But only Renny Harlin makes me wish I didn't have that mindset. This is what I have to say about him:

http://patrickstergos.blogspot.com/2009/03/renny-harlinand-why-i-hate-him.html
Yeah i've seen his older films, but I highly doubt he's ever going to return to his roots so to speak, I had hope for ihm when he was slated to direct that Halo film, but after that fell apart I pretty much gave up on him, dunno why Jackson didn't bother funding Halo with his own money when the they ran short on it.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:36 pm
Zed, how did Uwe Boll not make your list? He's easily worse than any of the other directors you mentioned, IMO (Alone in the Dark, anyone?). For that matter, what about Roland Emmerlich? I'm going by your standards as I perceive them.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:51 pm
I don't really avoid directors (except David Lynch! Ooooh I hate him!), but there are directors I couldn't care less about and their name alone wouldn't get me to see a movie. I'm pretty meh about Ridley Scott, Joel Schumacher, Brett Ratner and Dominic Sena.

We need guys like John McTiernan back and in top form.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:17 pm
I don't know if he's considered "blockbuster", but I really have no interest in watching any of Michael Moore's films. I only watched Bowling for Columbine and I really was turned off by the guy and the way he crafted that documentary.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:27 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Zed, how did Uwe Boll not make your list? He's easily worse than any of the other directors you mentioned, IMO (Alone in the Dark, anyone?). For that matter, what about Roland Emmerlich? I'm going by your standards as I perceive them.

I've never seen a Uwe Boll film, and never had a showing of one at my local theatre. He's not a blockbuster director, just a bad German cameraman fiddling the German tax system, but a good boxer, apparently.

As for Emmerich, I liked Stargate, ID4, and Universal Soldier, thought tDAT was OK, didn't like Godzilla and the Patriot. Haven't seen 10000BC. Films I like outweigh the films I dislike, so I might take the risk, will I see 2012? I'll see what JB says.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:32 pm
Damaj wrote:
I don't really avoid directors (except David Lynch! Ooooh I hate him!), but there are directors I couldn't care less about and their name alone wouldn't get me to see a movie. I'm pretty meh about Ridley Scott, Joel Schumacher, Brett Ratner and Dominic Sena.

We need guys like John McTiernan back and in top form.

How could i forget to mention Lynch, he's overrated to the max! His whole weird-for-the-sake-of-being-weird directing style just irritates the hell out of me! :evil:

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:42 pm
Avoid is a harsh word but I'm not exactly the first in line to see most Tony Scott movies.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:16 pm
rblount27 wrote:
Avoid is a harsh word but I'm not exactly the first in line to see most Tony Scott movies.

Yeah same here, Scott's films are the very definition of average to me, he overdoes it with his artistic directing style, and like Bay, his films usually tend to drag on longer then necessary by at least 20 mintes, though i'm relieved that Pelham 123 has a much more "reasonable" running time then most of his past films, though that still isn't enough to make we want to see the film in theaters.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:25 pm
Vexer wrote:
rblount27 wrote:

Yeah same here, Scott's films are the very definition of average to me, he overdoes it with his artistic directing style, and like Bay, his films usually tend to drag on longer then necessary by at least 20 mintes, though i'm relieved that Pelham 123 has a much more "reasonable" running time then most of his past films, though that still isn't enough to make we want to see the film in theaters.

I agree. I think of Tony Scott as a decent action/thriller director. But why would I want to watch decent action movies? I have better things to do with my time. Like watch okay sci-fi movies. Heh.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:02 pm
Oliver Stone.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:11 pm
Alfred Hitchcock. Damn, I hate that guy.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:46 am
Just kidding. :D

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:47 am
Seriously, though. I try to steer clear of directors like Shawn Levy and Adam Shankman, who churn out the same tired, rote, family friendly, unfunny comedies one after the other. Maybe not "blockbuster" guys, but they keep working.

Cheaper By the Dozen.
Pink Panther.
Bedtime Stories.
The Wedding Planner.

And Nora Ephron? I'm not a big fan.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:01 am
Moovy1 wrote:
Oliver Stone.

Thank you, sir! He stands alone as the only filmmaker that I'll avoid no matter what it is he's up to. I generally avoid certain types of movies but don't rule out any movie because of who's at the helm. Except for Oliver Stone.

Since I haven't seen (and won't be seeing) any of the following I can't debate the merits of the product at hand.
Quote:
Pearl Harbour, Bad Boys 2, The Island, Transformers 2
Charlies Angels 1, 2, Terminator Salvation
Pirates otC 3
Mummy 2, Van Helsing, GI Joe
Soldier, Resident Evil, AvP
Casper, Lemony Snicket, Land of the Lost
Rush Hour 1,2,3, X-men 3
Dragonheart, Stealth, Fast and the Furious, Daylight, Mummy 3
Elektra, X Files 1,2, Reign of Fire
Daredevil, Ghost Rider

Wolverine
Hancock
Day the Earth Stood Still
FF2
AvP2

I'll never accidentally find myself watching Pirates of the Caribbean but if Gore Verbinski makes something that doesn't look like a live-action cartoon there remains a chance I'll be there with $9 for a ticket.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:12 am
Zedferret wrote:
Michael Bay. (Pearl Harbour, Bad Boys 2, The Island, Transformers 2)
McGeeeeeeeeeeee. (Charlies Angels 1, 2, Terminator Salvation)
Gore Verbinski. (never forgive you for Pirates otC 3)
Steven Sommers. (Mummy 2, Van Helsing, GI Joe)
Paul W Anderson. (Soldier, Resident Evil, AvP) and this year Pandorum, which I won't see in theaters.
Brad Siberling. (Casper, Lemony Snicket, Land of the Lost)
Brett Ratner. (Rush Hour 1,2,3, X-men 3)
Rob Cohen. (Dragonheart, Stealth, Fast and the Furious, Daylight, Mummy 3)
Rob Bowman (Elektra, X Files 1,2, Reign of Fire)
Mark Steven Johnston (Daredevil, Jack Frost, Ghost Rider)
Gat dayum, dude. You've seen all of these movies? How can you abuse yourself like that?

Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:35 am
Producer

After having suffered so much through Date Movie, Meet the Spartans and Disaster Movie, I think I've finally had it with Friedberg and Seltzer. I will no longer watch anything those guys do.

I've only seen 1 film by Uwe Boll. That was Alone in the Dark and it was terrible. I might give Boll another chance or two before I decide to ditch him altogether.

That's it for me. I'm a fan of nearly everyone that has been mentioned here.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:47 am
ilovemovies wrote:
After having suffered so much through Date Movie, Meet the Spartans and Disaster Movie, I think I've finally had it with Friedberg and Seltzer. I will no longer watch anything those guys do.

I've only seen 1 film by Uwe Boll. That was Alone in the Dark and it was terrible. I might give Boll another chance or two before I decide to ditch him altogether.

That's it for me. I'm a fan of nearly everyone that has been mentioned here.

I hate to say this...but give Dungeon Siege a chance. It's surprisingly mediocre.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:20 am