Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:32 pm

Remakes you liked 
Post Re: Remakes you liked
I really enjoyed The Mummy, of course.

And, excuse me while I say this....Halloween. It's not that great of a movie, but it was nice to finally have a Halloween that didn't completely suck. It might not be nearly as good as the original, but it sure as hell is better than any Halloween sequel.

Whoops, also forgot:

-The Fly
-The Departed
-12 Angry Men
-The Manchurian Candidate
-Dawn of the Dead
-A Star is Born
-The Thomas Crown Affair

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:22 am
My favorite remakes:

The Departed
King Kong (2005)
The Thing
War Of The Worlds
Insomnia
The Mummy

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:59 pm
One more vote for John Carpenter's The Thing, although I think it's not really a remake of the first film, but rather a more faithful interpretation of the written story.

Someone also mentioned Little Shop of Horrors. Normally I don't really like musicals, but this one is great. If you have the DVD, watch the informative audio commentary by Frank Oz.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:40 am
Payback (The director's cut version, not the theatrical version with the
[Reveal] Spoiler:
out-of-nowhere kidnapping plot
near the end). It takes a different approach from Point Blank, but both movies work well as interesting adaptations of Richard Stark's novel The Hunter.

Last edited by domani on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:16 am
Patrick wrote:
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
1. If the remake is poorly received, it prevents those who watched it from seeking the source material in most cases. Which ruins film culture to a degree and maligns a [possible] great work due to mishandling of it. If it is highly received the same thing occurs.

That is something I disagree with. If a remake's poorly received and people keep hearing that the original was better I think people would seek the original. But if the original and the remake suck what are you going to do?

But there is something I'd like to ask you Wasabi, if you see a movie and hate it & someone goes to remake it what happens then? Do you think that the remake could be better and you will watch it or will you try to defend the original just cause a remake's coming?

Hi Patrick!

I used to think this was true. However, I cannot count the amount of times I've head someone condemn the remake and immediately dismiss the original because of the remake

Once burned - .....

Rob

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:31 am