Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:03 am

Remakes you liked 
Post Re: Remakes you liked
Patrick wrote:
[quote="Sci Fi Wasabi"
I did wind up caving in to King Kong...

If you talking about the Peter Jackson one, you have my dearest sympathies. If you're talking about the 70's one, I'm giving you nothing cause I haven't seen it.[/quote]

It was the Peter Jackson one, but the 70s one was a product I remember from my childhood. It was the first movie I saw a death in. It was the death of Kong but still...and then E.T. was the second.

Jackson's for me wasn't bad. Wasn't necessary but wasn't bad. I always thought Skull Island should be more established.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:40 am
Not enough time establishing Skull Island? They spent an hour talking and journeying to Skull Island and another hour actually there! How much more establishing do you need, another three hours?!

Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:46 am
Shade wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
I guess the harder question is - has anyone seen a remake that they preferred to the original?

I know you disagree, but I think The Departed is miles better than the original. It's deeper, much better acted and composed, and tells the same story in a more compelling way.

Another recent one is 3:10 to Yuma, which I think blows the original out of the water.

I think a lot of people get overwhelmed by the influx of terrible remakes in recent years. Look at this list:

The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Insomnia
No Way Out
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Heat

Those are only a few, and none are among the greatest movies ever made, but those are just a few examples of why we should never dismiss out-of-hand.

The criteria that Sci-fi Wasabi laid out make some sense, but I disagree heartily with a few points. I think that very few films try to hide that fact that they are a remake. And clearly, lots of films remade from foreign films work very well, so saying they "never" do is an overstatement. I also disagree with the notion of it being disrespectful. Of course there are times when that's the case, but I think it's the exception. I'm wondering if Sci-fi holds the same view when it comes to developing books into movies? Is that also disrespectful?

I was stating that Asian films for the most part rarely translate. The box office receipts are always good, but in my experience, most everyone has no idea that it is an Eastern film first. Foreign markets do fair, I have seen a few remakes of foreign films that were good. I re-read what I wrote and I messed up in my meaning. Sorry! :)

As for books, it depends on the end product. Same for some scripts. Most books to screen are treated very well, but some are horrible and it isn't the fault of the source material. I hate to take a personal aspect in this but Dean Koontz was abused so much by directors that he refuses now to let much be made. He owns all the rights so you have to go through him to get anything put to film. But nothing has ever gone well, except a few TV miniseries got close. In those instances I would say yes, his work was disrespected. I have read that the guy who wrote the script for The Golden Child was very angry that his idea was stripped of certain elements then reworked as a comedy. Was originally supposed to be an almost horror film. So in a sense, yes, printed works can be pissed on by directors as well.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:57 am
Patrick wrote:
Not enough time establishing Skull Island? They spent an hour talking and journeying to Skull Island and another hour actually there! How much more establishing do you need, another three hours?!

Well yeah! lol I meant in the past Kongs...lol

Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:57 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
Um...you would expect I would say no...but there have been a couple I was ok with. I for the life of me cannot think of them right now! lol

So until my memory jogs I will explain briefly why I dislike remakes so much.

1. If the remake is poorly received, it prevents those who watched it from seeking the source material in most cases. Which ruins film culture to a degree and maligns a [possible] great work due to mishandling of it. If it is highly received the same thing occurs.

2. They usually insert other elements into it in an attempt to disguise the fact that it is indeed a remake. Needless back stories, slight alterations to certain elements, complete removal of other elements, and upping the gore factor. All sleight of hand to keep you thinking you are watching an original work.

3. In the sense of foreign films remade into American failures...the translation never works. I don't mean the language, I mean the elements of it. Americans just do not have the same fear or belief of spirits as the Japanese do. That is why Juon is infinitely better than The Grudge could ever hope to be regardless of direction.

4. It is disrespectful. You really think you can top George Romero or Hitchcock? That is it in a sense, the idea that you somehow are more talented a director than the man that broke the film in the first place. Cut your directorial teeth on something original. On the other side, I lose respect for anyone that does not fight a remake being done of their work. Did it mean that little to you? At least speak out if you cannot control it. I realize that in most cases there is no control from the director's standpoint but not always. I speak more to the writer and those writers that are smart enough to maintain control of their work. It also extends to actors that take on work in the remake. Same thing, you think you can do better? Frank Sinatra was so horrible an actor in The Manchurian Candidate it took Denzel Washington to make it right?

5. It is unbalanced. Why is it acceptable to remake some films but others are holy grails? Why is a horror film or an older film ok to ruin but not Citizen Kane? Some of these remakes are not of movies that were inferior. Was War of the Worlds that crappy originally? What did the remake bring to the table that was so much better?

*Edit - I remembered one! Father of the Bride was not a bad remake, and did not ruin the original for me. Made me want to see the source film.

Sci Fi Wasabe,

I agree with all of this. Nice post. Remakes are almost always financially driven
The next really big one is Star trek (not Ft13th) and trailers look awful IMHO. It's basically looking like Fantastic Four join the federation.
The sad fact is that 85% of movies cater for the 49.9% of the population and remakes are a safe bet for the studios.

I too have had discussions trying to get someone to watch an original only to hear that the remake was not so good so they skip the original.

Did i like any remakes?
Departed for sure, but still preferred the original.
King Kong's galore, but still prefer the original
I guess the harder question is - has anyone seen a remake that they preferred to the original?

Rob

Patrick got there first but The Thing and Willard. I also liked Get Carter remake a bit differently than the original. Not more just differently...and no I cannot really explain! But not Solaris remake...ewww

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:01 am
sheryl wrote:
The Italian Job
Battlestar Galactica

Italian Job was good! I am not sure it was needed but I think it was done to get that movie more accessible to younger audiences.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:02 am
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Oh but I thought it was established just fine in the 30's one. It's an island, stuff that shouldn't be there is on here and the natives are savage. What else do you need to know?

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:03 am
Patrick wrote:
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Oh but I thought it was established just fine in the 30's one. It's an island, stuff that shouldn't be there is on here and the natives are savage. What else do you need to know?

Alright alright!! I'm a sucker for bombastic bugs and creature fights!! There I said it! lol

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:31 am
Ben-Hur is a really good remake. That said, I haven't seen the silent original as yet.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Post Favorite Remakes
3:10 to Yuma is one of my favorite remakes from recent years. What are some of your favorite remakes?

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:43 pm
Post Re: Favorite Remakes
I personally have not seen a remake or sequel which are worthy of the original. Having said that I did enjoy The Departed when I first saw it, but I then watched Infernal Affairs back to back and my high opinion of The Departed turned to one of disgust.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:46 pm
Remember, when making a topic make sure somebody else didn't beat you to it.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:56 pm
Patrick wrote:
Remember, when making a topic make sure somebody else didn't beat you to it.

missed this one

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:59 pm
yeah "the thing" remake is awesome , I also liked "The Hills Have Eyes" remake and "House On Hunted Hill"

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:00 pm
I find if I treat the remakes/reimaginings/reboots/reetc as something seperate from the original I enjoy them much more. Although I'm not one of those people who get up in arms when my favourite film has been remade. It's unnecessary most of the time but it will never effect my enjoyment of the original.

Dawn of The Dead was enjoyable.
The Hills Have Eyes was good too although to be honest I have not seen the original.

Is The Magnificant Seven considered a remake of Seven Samurai or just...a western ripoff?
In any case...I love both of them.

Pulling a blank here for all the others I know I've seen...

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:11 pm
One that hasn't been mentioned is The Fly. Cronenberg's film is so different to the 1958 one that any comparisons are almost meaningless but I feel they compliment each other well because of this. I saw the latter for the first time last year and was surprised by how well it stands up today (except the effects of course). On a more visceral level though, the 1986 one will always be the better film.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:25 am
Oceans 11 and Cape Fear

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:34 am
Post Re: Favorite Remakes
baz1701 wrote:
I personally have not seen a remake or sequel which are worthy of the original. Having said that I did enjoy The Departed when I first saw it, but I then watched Infernal Affairs back to back and my high opinion of The Departed turned to one of disgust.

I saw The Departed after Infernal Affairs, and it's still a remake I can tolerate. Though it's hard to get away from the fact that the original did more interesting things with its protagonists, with almost an hour less of running time.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:16 am
Quote:

So Batman Begins and The Dark Knight didn't do it for you?

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:36 am
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Easy, John Carpenter's The Thing is superior to "Howard Hawks" The Thing From Another World in every conceivable way

Agreed, and I also have to say that Ocean's Eleven is quite a bit more enjoyable than the original. I've not seen Infernal Affairs, so I can't quite comment on The Departed...although the latter film is so good that I can't quite see the original topping it.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:06 am