Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:06 am

Remakes you liked 
Post Remakes you liked
In light of Sci Fi Wasabi's view of remakes, I thought about remakes that were good and see if any of you guys have any remakes you liked. Also this is an excuse to try out the list tag. Lastly, this is remakes you liked and they don't necessarily be better than the original.

Here's my liked remakes:

Invasion of the Body Snatcher '78
    War of the Worlds
    The Mummy
    Little Shop of Horrors
    Cape Fear

Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:50 pm
Post Re: Remakes you liked
Um...you would expect I would say no...but there have been a couple I was ok with. I for the life of me cannot think of them right now! lol

So until my memory jogs I will explain briefly why I dislike remakes so much.

1. If the remake is poorly received, it prevents those who watched it from seeking the source material in most cases. Which ruins film culture to a degree and maligns a [possible] great work due to mishandling of it. If it is highly received the same thing occurs.

2. They usually insert other elements into it in an attempt to disguise the fact that it is indeed a remake. Needless back stories, slight alterations to certain elements, complete removal of other elements, and upping the gore factor. All sleight of hand to keep you thinking you are watching an original work.

3. In the sense of foreign films remade into American failures...the translation never works. I don't mean the language, I mean the elements of it. Americans just do not have the same fear or belief of spirits as the Japanese do. That is why Juon is infinitely better than The Grudge could ever hope to be regardless of direction.

4. It is disrespectful. You really think you can top George Romero or Hitchcock? That is it in a sense, the idea that you somehow are more talented a director than the man that broke the film in the first place. Cut your directorial teeth on something original. On the other side, I lose respect for anyone that does not fight a remake being done of their work. Did it mean that little to you? At least speak out if you cannot control it. I realize that in most cases there is no control from the director's standpoint but not always. I speak more to the writer and those writers that are smart enough to maintain control of their work. It also extends to actors that take on work in the remake. Same thing, you think you can do better? Frank Sinatra was so horrible an actor in The Manchurian Candidate it took Denzel Washington to make it right?

5. It is unbalanced. Why is it acceptable to remake some films but others are holy grails? Why is a horror film or an older film ok to ruin but not Citizen Kane? Some of these remakes are not of movies that were inferior. Was War of the Worlds that crappy originally? What did the remake bring to the table that was so much better?

*Edit - I remembered one! Father of the Bride was not a bad remake, and did not ruin the original for me. Made me want to see the source film.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:22 pm
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
1. If the remake is poorly received, it prevents those who watched it from seeking the source material in most cases. Which ruins film culture to a degree and maligns a [possible] great work due to mishandling of it. If it is highly received the same thing occurs.

That is something I disagree with. If a remake's poorly received and people keep hearing that the original was better I think people would seek the original. But if the original and the remake suck what are you going to do?

But there is something I'd like to ask you Wasabi, if you see a movie and hate it & someone goes to remake it what happens then? Do you think that the remake could be better and you will watch it or will you try to defend the original just cause a remake's coming?

Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:33 pm
Patrick wrote:
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:

That is something I disagree with. If a remake's poorly received and people keep hearing that the original was better I think people would seek the original. But if the original and the remake suck what are you going to do?

But there is something I'd like to ask you Wasabi, if you see a movie and hate it & someone goes to remake it what happens then? Do you think that the remake could be better and you will watch it or will you try to defend the original just cause a remake's coming?

In my experience, a poor remake kills the interest. I worked in Blockbuster for a bit and used to recommend originals and I would hear 'Nah I saw [blank] and it wasn't any good'. The going idea was if the remake was bad, the original must be as well because why would a good product beget a bad remake? Same with book to film, many people will not read the source figuring the poorness of it is why the movie was poor. Bad ingredients make a bad cake if you will...

Some remakes have been warranted. Willard for me the second time around was better. But Watchers I hated, and Watchers II was the re-attempt and it just barely was any better if at all. I think for me in that context as you put it, if I really disliked a movie but saw that it only failed from execution and not content, I would support seeing the remake. However I have not seen this yet. I feel that most of the remakes if not all [and I have no idea how many films may be remakes, some are even retitled] are done to capitalize on someone else's hard and superior work, not out of a sense that the story was great but the director blew it.

Speaking of that since you got me thinking...Daredevil was a movie I thought had a shot, but was miscast, misdirected and well, missed everything. It could work. Iron Man worked very very well because all of the beginning aspects were done right, casting, writing, directing, even marketing. And he was a lesser known and followed hero much like Daredevil was...so I think someone should remake Daredevil and do it right. I know it is a bad example but so far is the only movie that I ever saw that I thought was workable as a remake.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:55 pm
Daredevil more popular than Iron Man? I must have had a weird childhood cause I didn't even hear of Daredevil until the movie came out. Where's Daredevil's 60's or 70's cartoon? And I don't remember any Daredevil video games for the Super Nintendo like the Avengers game

EDIT: Ignore this, I misread Wasabi's post and this forum won't let me delete this post.

Last edited by Patrick on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:02 pm
Is The Departed considered a remake?

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:05 pm
Yeah I guess The Departed would be a remake as well as any other foreign-language remakes

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:08 pm
Patrick wrote:
Yeah I guess The Departed would be a remake as well as any other foreign-language remakes

Then that was a kick ass remake...

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:10 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Is The Departed considered a remake?

Yes it is. I haven't seen it either, but not due to it being a remake. Patrick will beat me for this but there is a small exception to my general 'no remake' rule: Depends.

When I have watched a remake knowing it in fact was a remake, it has all depended on if I think it has been remade for accessibility or for money. In the sense of this one, I think it was out of accessibility. I think Scorsese saw it and felt perhaps since the story was great maybe he could make it more accessible for American audiences.

I almost watched The Invasion though because of the director Oliver Hirschbiegel's other work was so great but I felt he brought nothing to the table in this outing. The previous Body Snatcher remakes...enh...well the first was great on its own, and I will say that the '78 installment was good.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:28 pm
Ok, I liked:

The Thing
Invasion of the Body Snatchers '78
Willard
Ocean's 11
Evil Dead 2
The Omega Man
[remake of Last Man on Earth which was the first movie based off Matheson's I Am Legend. I am not sure if anyone even watched LMOE]

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:34 pm
Patrick wrote:
Daredevil more popular than Iron Man? I must have had a weird childhood cause I didn't even hear of Daredevil until the movie came out. Where's Daredevil's 60's or 70's cartoon? And I don't remember any Daredevil video games for the Super Nintendo like the Avengers game

EDIT: Ignore this, I misread Wasabi's post and this forum won't let me delete this post.

lol! I see what happened and why. I meant that no one really followed Iron Man and Daredevil that much. Thor even less probably. I think...not for SNES but maybe for Nintendo there may have been a game.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:36 pm
I'll beat you only if you beat me forgetting about The Thing Wasabi :D

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:38 pm
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:

I almost watched The Invasion though because of the director Oliver Hirschbiegel's other work was so great but I felt he brought nothing to the table in this outing. The previous Body Snatcher remakes...enh...well the first was great on its own, and I will say that the '78 installment was good.

Eh I didn't mind The Invasion too much. I think it did explore the End of the World scenario more than '56 and '78 Body Snatchers did but of course studio meddling came and damaged it quite a bit. But I wondered how you tell that Hirschbiegel brought nothing if you "almost" watched it.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:46 pm
Patrick wrote:
I'll beat you only if you beat me forgetting about The Thing Wasabi :D

lol! My hand would be broken if I had to beat all those who did not know The Thing is a remake! I watched the original and it was entertaining but not something to not warrant the remake. So films you cannot defend! :)

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:48 pm
The Italian Job
Battlestar Galactica

Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:30 pm
Patrick wrote:
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:

Eh I didn't mind The Invasion too much. I think it did explore the End of the World scenario more than '56 and '78 Body Snatchers did but of course studio meddling came and damaged it quite a bit. But I wondered how you tell that Hirschbiegel brought nothing if you "almost" watched it.

I read the review[s] and asked friends who saw it that know me well if they think I would like it. I just didn't read or hear anything that meshed with his talent and after seeing how well he did with Downfall and Das Experiment, I expected to hear that it was the best of anything remade twice and apparently it wasn't.

That and it was a remake of a remade film. :) But had it added something like the '78 one did with really opening it up more from the original I would be likely to watch it. And who knows, maybe I will eventually. I did wind up caving in to King Kong...

Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:37 pm
[quote="Sci Fi Wasabi"
I did wind up caving in to King Kong...[/quote]

If you talking about the Peter Jackson one, you have my dearest sympathies. If you're talking about the 70's one, I'm giving you nothing cause I haven't seen it.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:43 pm
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
Um...you would expect I would say no...but there have been a couple I was ok with. I for the life of me cannot think of them right now! lol

So until my memory jogs I will explain briefly why I dislike remakes so much.

2. They usually insert other elements into it in an attempt to disguise the fact that it is indeed a remake. Needless back stories, slight alterations to certain elements, complete removal of other elements, and upping the gore factor. All sleight of hand to keep you thinking you are watching an original work.

3. In the sense of foreign films remade into American failures...the translation never works. I don't mean the language, I mean the elements of it. Americans just do not have the same fear or belief of spirits as the Japanese do. That is why Juon is infinitely better than The Grudge could ever hope to be regardless of direction.

4. It is disrespectful. You really think you can top George Romero or Hitchcock? That is it in a sense, the idea that you somehow are more talented a director than the man that broke the film in the first place. Cut your directorial teeth on something original. On the other side, I lose respect for anyone that does not fight a remake being done of their work. Did it mean that little to you? At least speak out if you cannot control it. I realize that in most cases there is no control from the director's standpoint but not always. I speak more to the writer and those writers that are smart enough to maintain control of their work. It also extends to actors that take on work in the remake. Same thing, you think you can do better? Frank Sinatra was so horrible an actor in The Manchurian Candidate it took Denzel Washington to make it right?

5. It is unbalanced. Why is it acceptable to remake some films but others are holy grails? Why is a horror film or an older film ok to ruin but not Citizen Kane? Some of these remakes are not of movies that were inferior. Was War of the Worlds that crappy originally? What did the remake bring to the table that was so much better?

*Edit - I remembered one! Father of the Bride was not a bad remake, and did not ruin the original for me. Made me want to see the source film.

Sci Fi Wasabe,

I agree with all of this. Nice post. Remakes are almost always financially driven
The next really big one is Star trek (not Ft13th) and trailers look awful IMHO. It's basically looking like Fantastic Four join the federation.
The sad fact is that 85% of movies cater for the 49.9% of the population and remakes are a safe bet for the studios.

I too have had discussions trying to get someone to watch an original only to hear that the remake was not so good so they skip the original.

Did i like any remakes?
Departed for sure, but still preferred the original.
King Kong's galore, but still prefer the original
I guess the harder question is - has anyone seen a remake that they preferred to the original?

Rob

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:08 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
I guess the harder question is - has anyone seen a remake that they preferred to the original?

I know you disagree, but I think The Departed is miles better than the original. It's deeper, much better acted and composed, and tells the same story in a more compelling way.

Another recent one is 3:10 to Yuma, which I think blows the original out of the water.

I think a lot of people get overwhelmed by the influx of terrible remakes in recent years. Look at this list:

The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Insomnia
No Way Out
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Heat

Those are only a few, and none are among the greatest movies ever made, but those are just a few examples of why we should never dismiss out-of-hand.

The criteria that Sci-fi Wasabi laid out make some sense, but I disagree heartily with a few points. I think that very few films try to hide that fact that they are a remake. And clearly, lots of films remade from foreign films work very well, so saying they "never" do is an overstatement. I also disagree with the notion of it being disrespectful. Of course there are times when that's the case, but I think it's the exception. I'm wondering if Sci-fi holds the same view when it comes to developing books into movies? Is that also disrespectful?

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:38 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:

Easy, John Carpenter's The Thing is superior to "Howard Hawks" The Thing From Another World in every conceivable way

Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:17 pm