It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:13 pm

Great trailer, awful movie 
Producer

Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
The Village and The Happening

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:44 am
Maximum Overdrive

Stephen King pretty much says that all his other adaptations suck and he was going to show everyone how it's done.

He failed miserably.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:55 pm
Patrick wrote:
Maximum Overdrive

Stephen King pretty much says that all his other adaptations suck and he was going to show everyone how it's done.

He failed miserably.

If King truly feels that Maximum Overdrive was the best adaptation of his works as an author, then he's an idiot IMO, plain and simple. Stick to writing your novels, King, and leave filmmaking to people who know what they're doing.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:57 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Maximum Overdrive

He failed miserably.

If King truly feels that Maximum Overdrive was the best adaptation of his works as an author, then he's an idiot IMO, plain and simple. Stick to writing your novels, King, and leave filmmaking to people who know what they're doing.

.....uh, he said that during the trailer of Maximum Overdrive. Even he doesn't like the finished product citing it as the reason he didn't direct again.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:01 pm
Patrick wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Maximum Overdrive

He failed miserably.

.....uh, he said that during the trailer of Maximum Overdrive. Even he doesn't like the finished product citing it as the reason he didn't direct again.

Yeah, that's why I qualified that first statement with the "If"- I did mean every word in the last statement, though. I'm not a big fan of most of the films made from his books- the only ones I did like were The Shining, Salem's Lot (David Soul's best performance ever!), and Carrie.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:05 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Maximum Overdrive

He failed miserably.

I heard or read an interview during which King refers to Maximum Overdrive as a "moron movie". It isn't a good film -- it may be, in fact, horrifyingly bad -- but as a failed experiment to create something he could live with I tip my hat. He knows perfectly well what kind of material he writes and why the movie versions of those stories generally come out poor.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:57 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
I heard or read an interview during which King refers to Maximum Overdrive as a "moron movie". It isn't a good film -- it may be, in fact, horrifyingly bad -- but as a failed experiment to create something he could live with I tip my hat. He knows perfectly well what kind of material he writes and why the movie versions of those stories generally come out poor.

I'd have more respect for King's ability to recognize when a Hollywood adaptation of one of his books would turn out to be crap there weren't so many toilet-worthy examples of it. It seems to me that King likes the money more than he likes maintaining any sort of integrity in the translation of his work to film.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:14 am
Ragnarok73 wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

I'd have more respect for King's ability to recognize when a Hollywood adaptation of one of his books would turn out to be crap there weren't so many toilet-worthy examples of it. It seems to me that King likes the money more than he likes maintaining any sort of integrity in the translation of his work to film.

Some clarification: Stephen King isn't a writer's writer. He's not even a particularly good writer for a public that doesn't care to read more than one book every six years. He's an enthusiast for telling a story and it ends there. I'm not particularly well-versed in his work but I know enough to report that he's frequently mentioned how large his monetary advances are. He's got very little integrity to maintain in the translation from book to film and so it's no earthquake that his films have been largely awful. I believe it's more a function of laying bare his thin ideas than robbing his work of some intrinsic quality.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:56 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Some clarification: Stephen King isn't a writer's writer. He's not even a particularly good writer for a public that doesn't care to read more than one book every six years. He's an enthusiast for telling a story and it ends there. I'm not particularly well-versed in his work but I know enough to report that he's frequently mentioned how large his monetary advances are. He's got very little integrity to maintain in the translation from book to film and so it's no earthquake that his films have been largely awful. I believe it's more a function of laying bare his thin ideas than robbing his work of some intrinsic quality.

Yeah, remember when Family Guy made a joke about King's lack of originality? :OOH! a lamp monster OOH!" "your not even trying anymore are you?" :lol:

Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:56 am
Godzilla (1998)

Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:08 am
Spider-Man 3 (I don't consider the film awful, but it was underwhelming)

Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:24 pm
i personally liked the village...

how about

"THE MUSKETEER"

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:02 pm
Most definitely The Phantom Menace.
The trailer looked interesting, and the line "Wipe them out, all of them!" followed by a big explosion wasn't too bad. (BTW, I wrote "Put them down, all of them!" first. Those who've seen Spaced will know why... Those who don't should watch the series now.)

The funny thing is, the one thing that was totally wrong for me in the movie was the music. I had seen the trailer way too often combined with music I've known by heart for years, and then in then in the movie there was different music. It just sounded wrong. But I got used to the new themes by Episode II.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:33 am
The Fountain.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:58 am
Producer

I actually liked the trailers for I Know Who Killed Me and Master of Disguise. Of course the movies themselves were terrible, atrocious pieces of shits!

Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:40 am
That Invasion movie with Nicole Kidman has a dynamite trailer

Sigur Ros, man

Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:58 pm
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
I actually liked the trailers for I Know Who Killed Me and Master of Disguise. Of course the movies themselves were terrible, atrocious pieces of shits!

If you thought the trailers for both films would lead to something good, then you need a hug my friend.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:33 am
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

If you thought the trailers for both films would lead to something good, then you need a hug my friend.

I think most of the people on this forum need a hug (myself included), but maybe not. Maybe everyone's just HUGGED OUT.

I would like to submit that the trailer for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen looked halfway decent. It ended up being the second worst movie of the year for me.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:27 pm
Director

Pedro wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

I think most of the people on this forum need a hug (myself included), but maybe not. Maybe everyone's just HUGGED OUT.

I would like to submit that the trailer for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen looked halfway decent. It ended up being the second worst movie of the year for me.

........ You REALLLY need a hug

Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:24 pm
Profile YIM
Director

Quote:
I was excited to see Snakes on a Plane based on the trailer and internet hype which led me to believe that this movie would be awesomely bad. There was no awesome, it was just bad.

I saw that one in the theater opening weekend. It wasn't really good. But it was one that can be enjoyed if you see it with a crowd. Watch it with friends and play Mystery Science Theater. But if you try and watch it at home by yourself it will be an endurance test,

Quote:
Some clarification: Stephen King isn't a writer's writer. He's not even a particularly good writer for a public that doesn't care to read more than one book every six years. He's an enthusiast for telling a story and it ends there. I'm not particularly well-versed in his work but I know enough to report that he's frequently mentioned how large his monetary advances are. He's got very little integrity to maintain in the translation from book to film and so it's no earthquake that his films have been largely awful. I believe it's more a function of laying bare his thin ideas than robbing his work of some intrinsic quality

I read somewhere that the reason Kubrick changed so much in his adaptation of The Shining because he found the book to be very bad. I don't agree with Kubrick. I liked his film. But I liked the book too. The SK sanctioned miniseries version of The Shining on the other hand was awful. Some people can write and direct. Some can direct. Some can write. Some are good at both and some should just stick to one. King falls squarely into the latter category.

As a writer my opinion of King is more favorable. He has written a lot of books, a couple masterpieces, some good to great ones and a few not worth the trees that were chopped down.

When I saw the trailer for RV I thought it might be a fairly funny comedy. Instead it turned out to be a movie where the only funny parts were given away in the trailer and everything else was so painfully far from funny you'd need a passport to get there.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:47 pm