Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:01 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Great trailer, awful movie 
Author Message
Post Great trailer, awful movie
I'm a Redbox junkie. I can't quit. I don't want to quit. I've enjoyed many of the limited release or direct to DVD titles and often thought, "why wasn't that in theaters in my area, or was I asleep when it was?"

A great example was "TransSiberian".


But sometimes I want a derring-do, even if it is a bit on the cheesy side.

Maybe I'm always on the lookout for the next "Traxx".

One great thing about these "one-off" flicks is that they have trailers for other, less well-known flicks that might be pretty good.

This last weekend I finally caught up with "Allan Quatermain and the Temple of the Skulls". I'd seen "AQ and the Lost city of Gold" with Richard Chamberlain and, while it was corny and cheesy, I really enjoyed it. AQ and ToS looked like a pretty rollicking adventure yarn in the trailer.
The trailer used up all the action and in a most deceiving way.
The movie was pretty lame. At least if you're going to film in Africa, let the landscape be a character. This cinematographer could've learned a lot by watching "Out of Africa", or "I Dreamed of Africa", or even "The Ghost and the Darkness". He could've filmed this movie anywhere and used matte paintings to achieve the same quality level visuals. The lead had two modes of acting; "sneering because he's annoyed and allegedly lamenting some pain in his past" and "sneering because he's annoyed with the situation at hand". I normally never seek inadequacies in period authenticity, but damn, pick a century and stick with it. The climax reminded me of the bumper sticker: "I shaved my legs for this?!"

Enough lament over my lost $1.06.

What trailers sucked YOU in and then left you cold after the movie was viewed??


Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:39 am
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
Just because it's recent....Terminator: Salvation.

As indicated in the thread title - great trailer, awful movie.


Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:40 am
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
The trailer for Godzilla got me into the theaters. I left feeling cheated. I mean, the best part of the movie was when Jean Reno's character has his boys chew gum to get through security.


Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:48 am
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
A couple of good examples for me of this were The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Those were good trailers, but the movies just didn't live up to the hype.


Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:57 am
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
I remember being pretty excited to see Smokin' Aces for some reason. That trailer was exciting and the cast looked intriguing. I guess the movie wasn't completely awful but I expected a bit more from it.


Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:08 pm
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
It wasn't awful, but Jarhead wasn't really the kind of movie the trailer made it out to be.

PeachyPete wrote:
Just because it's recent....Terminator: Salvation.

As indicated in the thread title - great trailer, awful movie.


I second this notion.


Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:59 pm
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
I submit The Firm. I was 13 when the movie came out and I remember being more excited about seeing it than anything else that summer. The book was still at the high point of hype, the preview looked like it was white-knuckle thrills all the way... a huge letdown. When I was 13. I don't trust my own opinion on this one as it's been 16 years since I've seen it. My guess is that it's just as mediocre as memory tells me.


Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:27 am
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
majoraphasia wrote:
I submit The Firm. I was 13 when the movie came out and I remember being more excited about seeing it than anything else that summer. The book was still at the high point of hype, the preview looked like it was white-knuckle thrills all the way... a huge letdown. When I was 13. I don't trust my own opinion on this one as it's been 16 years since I've seen it. My guess is that it's just as mediocre as memory tells me.


I saw the trailer to The Firm when I watched it on DVD last month...the teaser was alright but the trailer didn't seemed good to me. The most exciting part was a chair being thrown out of the window! And the movie sucked.


Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:34 am
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
Patrick wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
I submit The Firm. I was 13 when the movie came out and I remember being more excited about seeing it than anything else that summer. The book was still at the high point of hype, the preview looked like it was white-knuckle thrills all the way... a huge letdown. When I was 13. I don't trust my own opinion on this one as it's been 16 years since I've seen it. My guess is that it's just as mediocre as memory tells me.


I saw the trailer to The Firm when I watched it on DVD last month...the teaser was alright but the trailer didn't seemed good to me. The most exciting part was a chair being thrown out of the window! And the movie sucked.


Ah, Patrick. Another in a long line of good contributions to the dialogue, sir.

Well, I was 13 at the time. Maybe it's this "teaser" I remember or maybe I, again: at 13, was excited about the movie for reasons I can't recall. I remember being excited and I remember being disappointed in about equal proportion. Next time at bat I'll come up with something that's harder to argue with.


Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:40 am
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
A good recent example that I can think of is Choke. I loved the book, and the trailer made it look fantastic. Unfortunately, the film was not very good.


Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:34 am
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
majoraphasia wrote:
at 13, was excited about the movie for reasons I can't recall.

Tom Cruise?

mkratzer21 wrote:
A good recent example that I can think of is Choke. I loved the book, and the trailer made it look fantastic. Unfortunately, the film was not very good.

I really liked it. Granted, I haven't read the novel, so maybe that's why.


Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:11 am
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
I've got a couple --

Golden Compass. I nearly cried when I saw the trailer at the theatre. It looked gorgeous and fantastic and I could hardly wait to see the show. Then I saw the show and felt incredibly let down at how unfantastic and uninspired it really was.

Sliver. The trailer for it made it seem far more thrilling a show. I think it was because they moved scenes around in the trailer so it seemed like it was going to unfold differently than it actually did. The actual show was pretty blah.


Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:47 pm
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
ed_metal_head wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
at 13, was excited about the movie for reasons I can't recall.

Tom Cruise?


Good guess but, unfortunately, you're maybe mistaken. Maybe. Although I did have Tom Cruise posters peppering my wall and went through a 6-year phase where I demanded everyone around me to address me as "Tom" or "Tom Cruise" or "TC" or "The True Christ" I hardly believe that's why I wanted to see The Firm. Even though in my secret, repressed fantasies it was my hope that The Firm was an in-depth look at Tom Cruise's physique. To this day, even through my sham marriage that acts as protection against my true urges toward Tom Cruise and anyone with T.C. as initials, I believe I really wanted to watch the firm Mr. Cruise in The Firm was likely do to with something other than my secret shame. Nice try, ed_metal_head, nice try.

You know, it's funny. Sometimes I look at my posts and wonder why I've never been punched.


Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:23 am
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
I was excited to see Snakes on a Plane based on the trailer and internet hype which led me to believe that this movie would be awesomely bad. There was no awesome, it was just bad.

majoraphasia wrote:
Good guess but, unfortunately, you're maybe mistaken. Maybe. Although I did have Tom Cruise posters peppering my wall and went through a 6-year phase where I demanded everyone around me to address me as "Tom" or "Tom Cruise" or "TC" or "The True Christ" I hardly believe that's why I wanted to see The Firm. Even though in my secret, repressed fantasies it was my hope that The Firm was an in-depth look at Tom Cruise's physique. To this day, even through my sham marriage that acts as protection against my true urges toward Tom Cruise and anyone with T.C. as initials, I believe I really wanted to watch the firm Mr. Cruise in The Firm was likely do to with something other than my secret shame. Nice try, ed_metal_head, nice try.


Nice. However, I still feel that you misread the film as Tom Cruise The Firm. That is why you found the movie, as a package, lacking.

You may be punched for your humour, but I think I'll be shot for mine...


Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:18 pm
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
Well I remember loving the trailer for one of Wesley Snipes DTV films called har dLuck, and it was directed by Mario Van Peebles and i'd enjoyed all of Snipes other DTV films, so natrually I had high expectations, too bad the movie turned out to be a boring badly acted piece of garbage!


Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:02 am
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
Enough with the silly internet photo posts guys. I cleaned the thread up so that we won't have to lock it.


Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:55 pm
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
Æon Flux (2005) - what a great trailer...stay off the grass. Deadly grass is always a good idea (see: The Happening), so it was a real pity about the movie.

Trevor wrote:
Enough with the silly internet photo posts guys. I cleaned the thread up so that we won't have to lock it.


:lol: :lol: :lol: Translation: I had to delete all of aameen's posts.


Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:21 pm
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!!
why am i being treated this way.
:x :x :x :x :x

http://www.bigpenguin.org/images/Cats/I ... nation.jpg



just cuz its pictorial, doesn't mean its irrelevant/or just spamming. if i had made a textual irrelevant joke i honestly dont think it would have been deleted. all im gonna say.

actually, i didn't think that would have been deleted either.

EDIT:man, i wanted to show this image, but it isn't working.


Last edited by aameen on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.



Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:37 pm
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
aameen wrote:
WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!!
why am i being treated this way.
:x :x :x :x :x

just cuz its pictorial, doesn't mean its irrelevant/or just spamming. if i had made a textual irrelevant joke i honestly dont think it would have been deleted. all im gonna say.

actually, i didn't think that would have been deleted either.

You're partly right - I am a little more careful when it comes to photos as they are more distracting.

But it was pretty irrelevant and was devolving into a back and forth of tired message board pics rather than any discussion of the topic (it wasn't even hard to pick out posts that had a little bit of both--there were none.)
Now, please stay on topic.


Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:33 am
Post Re: Great trailer, awful movie
Trevor wrote:
aameen wrote:
WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!!
why am i being treated this way.
:x :x :x :x :x

just cuz its pictorial, doesn't mean its irrelevant/or just spamming. if i had made a textual irrelevant joke i honestly dont think it would have been deleted. all im gonna say.

actually, i didn't think that would have been deleted either.

You're partly right - I am a little more careful when it comes to photos as they are more distracting.

But it was pretty irrelevant and was devolving into a back and forth of tired message board pics rather than any discussion of the topic (it wasn't even hard to pick out posts that had a little bit of both--there were none.)
Now, please stay on topic.


all right trevor.


Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:07 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr