Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:31 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Pixar's Finest 
Post Re: Pixar's Finest
Pedro wrote:
9. Cars (B) - This is the definition of a solid flick done by people who usually bust their balls making near-perfection.
8. A Bug's Life (B+) - This also defines solid, but I simply like it a lot more.
7. The Incredibles (B+) - I didn't respond to it, but I admire the crap out of it.
6. Toy Story 2 (B+) - It's been a long time since I've seen this. Its placing is almost irrelevant.
5. Ratatouille (B+) - I didn't respond a whole lot to this, either, but its flaws are very minimal and it's by and large a very enjoyable film. I just don't dig France that much, being a Spanish student.
4. WALL-E (A-) - The first half is better than the second, in my opinion. It's like F For Fake was tacked on to Citizen Kane; what's this doing here? Contemplative beauty devolved into compelling action. Neither components are bad, per se; they just don't quite fit together.
3. Toy Story (A-) - I grew up with this film. This film might take the top spot upon rewatching.
2. Monsters, Inc. (A-) - It's been a while since I've seen it, but it's possible that the film made me cry when I saw it in theaters at age eleven. It's so beautiful and emotional and cute and brilliant - and lovable as a result. This film also might take the top spot upon rewatching.
1. Finding Nemo (A-) - Moulton brings up a point about its familiarity (which is completely forgivable), and that's about where its flaws stop. I love everything about Finding Nemo. It's probably the film I've seen the most in my teenage years (I've probably seen Toy Story the most), so perhaps its wonders don't excite me as much as before. I still think very fondly of it, though.

Up goes right behind WALL-E.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:00 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Good movie, but I don't get why it reduces people all to tears. On the other hand, I can totally understand those who cry when a robot wants to be Superman.

One reviewer online bared his heart in his review of 'Grave Of The Fireflies', and one of his most striking points was that he was unable to watch the film without seeing his own children in that situation. Is there any greater agony for a parent than complete impotence in their children's fates, especially when they are still in their formative years? I'm not a parent myself, but this would cause me unending sympathy pains.

Mostly, I think the film's unrelenting arc simply overpowers and it becomes nearly impossible, with the way the story is structured, to distance yourself from these events. It's also based on a real-life story and shows fidelity to that story, unlike, say, a film like 'Lilya 4-Ever' that uses real-life events like 'Fargo' does (without the humor).

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:47 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
I hate to sound harsh

I rather think the opposite. You wouldn't have followed up with your next comment if you didn't enjoy opening up with both barrels once in a while.

Quote:
but I personally figure anyone who likes Cars alot probably doesn't have much of a standard for what they'll pop into a DVD player.

I do like Cars a lot, but sure enough, I also put peanut butter into my DVD player.

I do stick to name brand peanut butter, though.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:42 pm
Trevor wrote:
Best of all time or not, Grave of the Fireflies is a beautiful, wonderful, heart-breaking film.

Agreed, completely. I have yet to watch it all the way through and avoid tears.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:54 pm
Amended list:

Damaj wrote:
1. WALL-E
2. The Incredibles
3. Up
4. Finding Nemo
5. Toy Story 2
6. Toy Story
7. Monsters, Inc.
8. A Bug's Life
9. Cars

? Ratatouille
? Up

The first half hour of WALL-E is my favorite half hour of any movie I have ever seen. It left such a deep impression on me, every time I think about it I want to watch it again. The rest of the story may be more conventional, but it really doesn't diminish anything in my eyes becuase it is done so well.

Likewise, the action sequence on the island near the end of The Incredibles is perfectly excuted and probably the best sequence of this sort I have ever seen.

Monsters, Inc. made me cry, for God's sake.

I have not seen Ratatouille (something always comes up) or Up yet.

Pixar has earned my highest respect and I hope (and believe) they will continue to produce entertainment of this quality. Their level of excellence is not seen very often anymore and other production companies should really pay attention to what Pixar is doing.

What a great movie.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:19 pm
It is truly amazing what Pixar has done for the animated genre. I'm too old to have watched any of these films as a child(which would typically explain why I would have enjoyed them so much) and have a daughter just old enough that I have had the pleasure of seeing many in theaters(and all on DVD countless times). Pixar makes intelligent, aesthetically pleasing films for all ages(wow, how cliche does that sound? but it's true). Here are my thoughts on each of their films.

Toy Story-The one to get us all hooked on what was coming. A fairly simple premise done so well that it was impossible to not enjoy. 9/10
A Bug's Life-This one showed that Toy Story was no fluke. Smart humor and great casting allow for a compelling film. 8/10
Toy Story 2-I was worried when this was announced as this was around the time that Disney was pumping it's direct to DVD sequels really hard and I thought this would be B grade material. I actually found it even sweeter than the original(despite watching it over and over again due to my daughter's obsession with Jesse). 9/10
Monsters INC.-This one kills me. I watched this over and over again with my daughter curled up with me on the couch. Crystal and Goodman are perfect here. I even liked how they gave them normal names. So clever. 9/10
Finding Nemo-To me, this is the perfect kid's film. It is the most re-watchable of all their films and Albert Brooks is dead on as the neurotic father. And Dory is one of the all time great animated characters. I cannot tell you how many times I fell asleep to the credits with "just keep swimming, just keep swimming" in my head all night long.
The Incredibles-A fun really well done superhero family film. Brad Bird is great. 9/10
Cars-My least favorite of their films. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy it, I just don't really re-visit it like I could the others. 7/10
Ratatouille-Such a great grown up film disguised as a kid's film. 9/10
Up-Their masterpiece so far. It's not just a great animated film, it's a great film. Should have been in the best movie category at the Oscars. A message film without being preachy, instead it is simply sublime. 10/10

Needless to say, with no film under 7/10 and most at 9, I am looking forward to seeing Up this weekend.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:24 pm
Tuco wrote:
I do like Cars a lot, but sure enough, I also put peanut butter into my DVD player.

I do stick to name brand peanut butter, though.

Hilarious.

I do think you were spot on with earlier thoughts on Cars. I just couldn't fully identify with Nascar angle of the film. Mind you it wasn't because of any preconceived thoughts about the merits of Nascar and type of fans it attracts, but just that the scenes were totally foreign to me.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:08 pm
For me there's two films that define the animated genre; it's either The Iron Giant - nothing beats the Giant divebombing the pool or Hobart hopped up on coffee :)- or the Original Fantasia - especially the vibracy of The Dance of the Hours and the contrast of Night on Bare Mountain with Ave Maria.

I have to admit to having a real soft spot for the climax in Sleeping Beauty - Disney hit that for six.

WRT Pixar:
1. Wall-E (His cockroach and the OCD cleaning robot clinch it for me)
2. Monsters Inc
3. Toy Story

Cars gets on my nerves in a big war and the characterisations are major contributors to this; the retarded morality story doesn't help: if I want a dumbed-down explanation of aw-shucks values I'll avoid a sitcom.

Finding Nemo has it's moments, but I felt it was targeted more directly towards the kidlets than most Pixar films - that being said, I think the seagulls deserve their own film. We've got a classic 50's Z-Grade Horror in 'Them!' (starring giant radioactive ants) so why not a film seagull film called 'Mine!'

Ratatouille was spoilt for me by the hype - still a good film though: enduring memory: steam-cleaned rats...

Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:56 pm
iscariot wrote:

Finding Nemo has it's moments, but I felt it was targeted more directly towards the kidlets than most Pixar films - that being said, I think the seagulls deserve their own film. We've got a classic 50's Z-Grade Horror in 'Them!' (starring giant radioactive ants) so why not a film seagull film called 'Mine!'

I saw Nemo with a friend and his 6-year-old daughter. She was so terrified at the prospect of getting separated from a parent and my friend was so disgusted that Disney went 'this route' (weird, I know, as Disney has made a mint on domestic turmoil) that between the two of them I was nearly convinced the movie should have been slapped with an NC-17. I've wondered, ever since, just what kind of bedtime stories he told his kid.

I like the "Mine!" idea and will put up $5.00 toward the production. I want it in black and white.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:34 am
iscariot wrote:

Great idea, they could call it The Birds...

All joking aside, I think some of the seagull scenes deliberately reference said Hitchcock film.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:13 am
Producer

1. Up
2. Toy Story 2
3. Toy Story
4. Monsters Inc.
5. A Bug's Life
6. Cars
7. Finding Nemo
8. The Incredibles
9. Wall-E

I thought Wall-E was overrated and didn't actually care for it. The Incredibles was decent but nothing special.

Still need to see Ratatouille.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:38 am
Director

My top 5 Pixar films:

1: Wall-E
2: The Incredibles
3: Toy Story 2
4: Toy Story
5: Ratatouille

The only Dreamworks animated film that can match Pixar is the original Shrek.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:34 pm
01 - Wall-E/Up (TIE)
02 - Finding Nemo
03 - Toy Story
04 - Ratatouille
05 - The Incredibles
06 - A Bug's Life/Monster's Inc. (TIE)
07 - Toy Story 2
08 - Toy Story 3
09 - Cars

In my opinion Wall-E was the best silent movie of the last decade turned to a simply superior movie once the human characters entered the equation. My love for both Wall-E and Up is in the moments they get perfect (if you didn't cry when the old man looked through his photo album or when Eve revived Wall-E you don't have a soul).

The only Pixar film I have actively disliked was Cars, and I have no interest in seeing Cars 2.

majoraphasia wrote:
As for the competition, only Spirited Away bests every single Pixar movie in terms of virtually everything. But that's me; I like my animation hand drawn.

Just another post that shows why I love Major :)

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:55 am
Here's my list:

12. Cars 2
11. Cars
10. A Bug's Life
9. Up
8. Monster's Inc.
7. Toy Story 2
6. Finding Nemo
5. Ratatouille
4. Toy Story
3. The Incredibles
2. Toy Story 3
1. WALL-E

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:58 pm
Producer

The Incredibles is my favourite of the bunch.

But I don't like the way pixar films show up the obvious flaws in aggregated films reviews.

Even the poorer ones are too inoffensive to be considered bad. So 90+% awaits on every Rotten Tomatoes entry.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:01 am
NotHughGrant wrote:
The Incredibles is my favourite of the bunch.

But I don't like the way pixar films show up the obvious flaws in aggregated films reviews.

Even the poorer ones are too inoffensive to be considered bad. So 90+% awaits on every Rotten Tomatoes entry.

While this may be true of all the non-Cars Pixar releases, I don't think the high ratings of the movies are due to a flaw in aggregated film reviews. There are plenty of animated, inoffensive movies that get trashed. Pixar's movies are usually very good, which is why they have a lot of good reviews.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:15 am
Producer

Perhaps there are. But the flaw in the aggrometer is perhaps best exposed by reasonably clever and likeable animation.

You don't need good reviews. Just across the board okay reviews.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:07 am
NotHughGrant wrote:
Perhaps there are. But the flaw in the aggrometer is perhaps best exposed by reasonably clever and likeable animation.

You don't need good reviews. Just across the board okay reviews.

I don't strongly disagree with this. I think that's partly why there is a metered percentage and an overall score on sites like Rotten Tomatoes. The percentage is the percentage of favorable reviews (with each review being positive or negative), and the overall score is the average score (stars or whatever else is used) from critics.

I'd probably change your statement to, you don't need great reviews, just across the board good reviews. For instance, a movie like Drag Me To Hell was in the high 80s or low 90s, with an overall score somewhere in the 7s. That means most critics liked the movie, but thought it was a 3 star film, not a great one. To me, that's fair and makes complete sense.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:58 am
Producer

I like Rotten Tomatoes. It's the site that brought me here as I like James' reviews, despite not always agreeing with them. But the aggrometer is flawed fundamentally and unless it's below 40 or 50% I barely take notice.

Having said that is was right on a number of films. Ugly Truth and Year one, and the Bounty Hunter, scoring around 10% each.

Bang on!

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:51 am
NotHughGrant wrote:
I like Rotten Tomatoes. It's the site that brought me here as I like James' reviews, despite not always agreeing with them. But the aggrometer is flawed fundamentally and unless it's below 40 or 50% I barely take notice.

I think it's correct more often than not but it really pays to look at the numerical rating next to the Tomatometer. The thing it's good at is, quite obviously, letting you know which pictures you should check out or which ones to avoid. Under 30% is rarely, if ever, likely to be a watchable film. Over 80% is almost always a good film. It's not a good determiner of separating good from great, but that's not a big problem.

I find it most unreliable for very ambitious movies that tend to polarise audiences. Something like Antichrist was under 50% but I still found it among the better pictures of that year. It made a few year end top 10 lists too.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:15 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next