Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:00 am

Pixar's Finest 
Post Pixar rankings
Wow, the trailer for Up looks exactly like this John Hughes film from the 80's. ;)

Anyways, I'm not shocked that he gave Up three stars (what he gave Cars and Ratatouille), but I'm excited as hell to see it anyways. Here's my Pixar top nine:

1. Monsters Inc.
2. WALL-E
3. Ratatouille
4. Toy Story
5. Toy Story 2
6. The Incredibles
7. Finding Nemo
8. A Bug's Life
9. Cars

To be honest, I think WALL-E is a better film than Monsters Inc, but Monsters is my favorite hands down. It's the one I could watch over and over again. My desert island Pixar film, if you will.

Tue May 26, 2009 4:47 pm
Post Re: UP
I agree on Monster's Inc. Hands downs the best of Pixar's films--at least the most emotional for me.

And yet another fairly pointless ranking begins:

1. Monster's Inc.
2. Toy Story 2
3. Finding Nemo
4. Toy Story
5. Wall-E
6. The Incredibles
7. A Bug's Life
8. Ratatouille
9. Cars

The other non-Pixar animated films released in the last decade or so that could place on the higher end of my list would be The Iron Giant, Fantasia 2000 and Spirited Away. I sure hope Up lives "up" to the advance praise.

Tue May 26, 2009 5:01 pm
I have not had as much Pixar love as most over the years, but I'm nevertheless looking forward to Up. Here is my ranking of Pixar movies:

1. Finding Nemo (***1/2)
2. Toy Story (***)
3. Wall-E (***)
4. Toy Story 2 (***)
5. A Bug's Life (***)
6. Ratatouille (***)
7. Monster's Inc. (**1/2)
8. Cars (**1/2)
9. The Incredibles (**)

Tue May 26, 2009 6:31 pm
and mine are:

Wall-E - 10

Toy Story 2 - 9
Ratatouille - 9
Finding Nemo - 9
Toy Story - 9
The Incredibles - 9

A Bug's Life - 8
Monster's Inc. - 8
Cars - 8

Rob

Tue May 26, 2009 7:13 pm
My turn!
Toy Story ***1/2
Toy Story 2 ***1/2
Up ***1/2
The Incredibles ***
Wall-E ***
Finding Nemo ***
A Bug’s Life ***
Ratatouille ***
Monster’s Inc **1/2
Cars (never saw)

Tue May 26, 2009 8:28 pm
My list would be:

1. The Incredibles
2. Finding Nemo
3. WALL-E
4. Toy Story 2
5. Ratatouille
6. Toy Story
7. Cars
8. Monsters Inc.
9. A Bug's Life

I was hoping for a 3 1/2 rating of Up, but 3 stars is just dandy and the review described it very favorably at points, so I'm pumped as ever for the movie.

Tue May 26, 2009 8:55 pm
I am very, very excited to see this. Hopefully, I will have a chance on Friday to head on over to the movies.

My Pixar List is:

1. The Incredibles
2. Finding Nemo
3. WALL-E
4. Toy Story 2
5. Monsters Inc
6. Toy Story
7. Ratatouille
8. Cars
9. A Bug's Life

However, I love all the Pixar Movies.

Tue May 26, 2009 9:45 pm
I guess that after the amazingness that is Wall-E, poor Up has little chance.
anyway, my list:

1. Wall-E ***1/2 (my favorite couple of the year)
2. Monster’s Inc. ***1/2 (funny, exciting, and so bittersweet. the ending scene still brings a lump to my throat every time.)
3. The Incredibles ***1/2 (Can leave you a little bit exhausted, but great entertainment)
4. Toy Story 2 ***1/2 (The only instance of intense grief in Pixar, and as a kid I played its Play-Station game to death, so that might be a factor :D )
5. Finding Nemo ***1/2 (The most "relaxed"-feeling Pixar)
6. Toy Story ***1/2 (The first still holds up well)
7. Ratatouille ***1/4 (Has some complexity among its almost formula trappings)
8. Cars *** (The first straightforward formula Pixar, but good fun nonetheless)
9. A Bug’s Life *** (Somehow this never strike any cord with me. Still pretty good, but I give kind of a weak ***)

Tue May 26, 2009 10:20 pm
1. WALL-E
2. Incredibles
3. Ratatouille
4. Toy Story 2
5. Toy Story
6. Monsters Inc.
7. Finding Nemo
8. A Bug's Life
9. Cars

Tue May 26, 2009 10:33 pm
peng wrote:
I guess that after the amazingness that is Wall-E, poor Up has little chance.
anyway, my list:

7. Ratatouille ***1/4 (Has some complexity among its almost formula trappings)

A 1/4*? What is this, a wrestling match? You think you're Dave Meltzer?

Tue May 26, 2009 11:00 pm
Post Pixar's Finest
I noticed the UP thread has basically become a "Top 10 Pixar" list thread; enough people seem interested in sharing, so I think a separate thread is warranted.

You know the drill: rate Pixar's films from highest to lowest. I'll kick things off with my two favorites:

1. Finding Nemo (****): For me, Finding Nemo is the litmus test against which all other animated films are judged. To this day, it blows me away on every level: the story (simple yet surprisingly original), the cinematography (hauntingly beautiful), the music (completely immersive), the animation itself (pitch-perfect art direction from Pixar), and on and on and on. Finding Nemo may not be Pixar's most complex or thought-provoking film (see #2), but it represents my favorite over-all film experience to be had from the still-young studio.

2. WALL-E (****): As I mentioned before, this is Pixar at its most complex. That's not to say that it's intellectually challenging (one of the film's greatest strengths is that its message is so easy to swallow), but it's a film that definitely has something to say and has ample ability with which to say it. Some thought the film was too heavyhanded with its overt environmentalism, but for me the mix of the story and its message are seamless; one never interferes with the other. Being Pixar's latest, it's obviously also the most advanced from a technological standpoint; animation has never looked better. By and large, this is simply a beautiful film no matter how one looks at it.

And now the rest:

3. The Incredibles (****)
4. Toy Story (****)
5. Toy Story 2(****)
6. Ratatouille(***1/2)
7. Monster's Inc.(***1/2)
8. A Bug's Life(***)
9. Cars (***)

Wed May 27, 2009 12:49 am
Well Geez, if everyone else is doing it . . .

Ratatouille ****
Toy Story *** 1/2
Toy Story 2 *** 1/2
Cars *** 1/2 (I must be the only person around to find the combination of the voice acting and the in-jokes worthy of this much praise)
Wall-E *** 1/2
Finding Nemo *** 1/2
Incredibles *** 1/2
Bug's Life ***
Monsters Inc. ***

I think everything they've done has been exceptional. I even think Monsters Inc., which is my least favorite, has elements that surpass a lot of the others. It's just a little too frantic for my taste, with a hint of what I didn't like about The Polar Express.

That said, the only non-Pixar films in the last ten years that have enough heart to even merit discussion with these are, in my mind:

Spirited Away ****
The Iron Giant *** or *** 1/2, I'm not sure
Howl's Moving Castle ***

Wed May 27, 2009 1:15 am
1. Wall-E **** (not their most complete movie, I'll admit, but the ending is so perfect that it saves everything--and oh, that first act!)
2. Finding Nemo
3. Toy Story 2
4. Monsters, Inc.
5. Toy Story

6. Ratatouille ***1/2
7. The Incredibles

8. Cars ***

(Never saw A Bug's Life)

Wed May 27, 2009 9:11 am
Post Re: Pixar's Finest
1. WALL-E
2. The Incredibles
3. Finding Nemo
4. Toy Story 2
5. Toy Story
6. Monsters, Inc.
7. A Bug's Life
8. Cars

? Ratatouille
? Up

The first half hour of WALL-E is my favorite half hour of any movie I have ever seen. It left such a deep impression on me, every time I think about it I want to watch it again. The rest of the story may be more conventional, but it really doesn't diminish anything in my eyes becuase it is done so well.

Likewise, the action sequence on the island near the end of The Incredibles is perfectly excuted and probably the best sequence of this sort I have ever seen.

Monsters, Inc. made me cry, for God's sake.

I have not seen Ratatouille (something always comes up) or Up yet.

Pixar has earned my highest respect and I hope (and believe) they will continue to produce entertainment of this quality. Their level of excellence is not seen very often anymore and other production companies should really pay attention to what Pixar is doing.

Wed May 27, 2009 10:20 am
Finding Nemo
WALL-E
Toy Story
Ratatouille
Toy Story 2
The Incredibles
Monster's Inc.
A Bug's Life

Of all the Pixar productions, the only one that I truly cannot bear to watch again is Cars, which, while not being a bad film, is too uncomfortable for me. That Pixar is capable of such thorough front-to-back tripe is terrifying. I owe John Lasseter alot of respect for his influence on animated film - but I feel like this is more representative of his directorial capabilities than the first two Toy Story films were (which had the crutch of great characters and seemed to have a more 'collaborative' feel). Maybe I'm wrong, but unless it stars Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, I am skeptical of future efforts with him as a directorial credit.

Wed May 27, 2009 1:43 pm
wall e
the toy stories
incredibles
ratatouille
monsters inc.

haven't seen cars, nemo or a bugs life.
oh the shame!
and im supposed to be making em. oh the shame!

Wed May 27, 2009 2:04 pm
http://www.filmgazing.com/pixar.html

Wed May 27, 2009 3:38 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Of all the Pixar productions, the only one that I truly cannot bear to watch again is Cars, which, while not being a bad film, is too uncomfortable for me. That Pixar is capable of such thorough front-to-back tripe is terrifying. I owe John Lasseter alot of respect for his influence on animated film - but I feel like this is more representative of his directorial capabilities than the first two Toy Story films were (which had the crutch of great characters and seemed to have a more 'collaborative' feel). Maybe I'm wrong, but unless it stars Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, I am skeptical of future efforts with him as a directorial credit.

Terrifying?

I have my own theories about the (relative) lack of love for Cars. First and foremost, having a large Nascar element to the plot, I think it automatically alienates that portion of the audience who regard racing in general and Nascar in particular as hillbilly hell. Second, cars in of themselves don't have as universal an appeal as, say, toys, or the fear of monsters in the closet, what have you.

I wouldn't argue that Cars is Pixar's finest film. However, I have to say that I disagree pretty much 100% with your take. In my opinion, Cars' greatest strength is it's characters, which in my view are every bit as memorable as those in Toy Story. The depth of emotion might be deeper in Toy Story, but Cars has characters that are every bit as enjoyably eccentric. And while I'm not really a Tim Allen fan, I think he did a wonderful job in the Toy Story flicks. In much the same way, I'm not a fan of Larry the Cable Guy at all (at all), but I think he did a great job in Cars.

And Owen Wilson--that guy hit it out of the park, at least in my opinion. He wasn't Woody in Toy Story, but that's not what the picture was aiming for, either.

If I were to list the weak point of Cars, I'd say it was NOT direction (which I think was exemplary), but rather the script. The script did have a bit of a too-familiar feel to it (the Doc Hollywood comparisons are valid, IMO), and that's a shame. Still, the visuals were incredible, the characters were (IMO) more memorable and funnier than several Pixar flicks, and the music worked.

To each his/her own, and I'm no more correct than you are, but that's how I see it.

Oh, and if you really find the direction/storytelling in Cars to be terrifying, I can give you a list of flicks that'll leave you in a full-on fright-induced coma.

I mean, if you're into that sort of thing.

Wed May 27, 2009 4:53 pm
As I already gave my rankings in the Up thread, I’m sort of ashamed to post this. But for the sake of thoroughness and at the risk of offending Netiquette:

Wall-E
Ratatouille
The Incredibles
Toy Story 2
Toy Story
Finding Nemo
A Bug’s Life
Monster’s Inc
Cars

Wed May 27, 2009 5:09 pm
And then there's this list:

9. A Bug's Life
8. Monsters, Inc.
7. Wall-E
6. Cars
5. Toy Story 2
4. Ratatouille
3. Toy Story
2. Finding Nemo
1. The Incredibles

Cars worked with a great first 10 minutes and great last 10 minutes. The in-between had a nice story about getting old, mortality, obsolescence. So on.

I disliked both Monsters, Inc. and A Bug's Life but, many years later, I don't remember anything about them other than being irritated with A Very Special Episode feel I got out of both. Monsters, Inc. I'd watch again but A Bug's Life left me feeling I'd gotten it right the first time through.

As for the competition, only Spirited Away bests every single Pixar movie in terms of virtually everything. But that's me; I like my animation hand drawn.

Thu May 28, 2009 12:30 am