Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:23 pm

Threadomancy, and Theaters 
Post Threadomancy, and Theaters
I was wondering what the forum policy on threadomancy, or the posting in an old forum topic? Some forums frown upon this after as short as a week if it is not revived by the original poster.

Also, it would be nice if we had a section were we could rant or rave about our experiences with theaters. Or something similar to the mechanic files on CarTalk's website (http://cartalk.com/content/mechx/), but for finding good theaters.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:45 pm
Post Re: Threadomancy, and Theaters
Quote:
I was wondering what the forum policy on threadomancy, or the posting in an old forum topic? Some forums frown upon this after as short as a week if it is not revived by the original poster.

We have a rule that clears this right up which states:

2.a. Before opening a new topic, check to see if someone else is already discussing your subject. Redundant topics will be merged without notice to the author.

So in short, we demand you do this.

As for the second point, if there's enough want for a theater forum I guess JB can make one but I wouldn't hold my breath for that though.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:52 pm
OK, I understand rule 2.a., but my question was more relating to if I had a comment for a topic that has in been posted in for some time.

Say if the topic had not been posted in in a year, then it would be bad form to post in that topic because the discussion is basically dead. But if the last post was two or three weeks ago and I decided that I has something pertinent to add or restart the discussion, would that be OK?

As I said some forums would look very much down on the reviving of an old thread.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:05 am
jsutter wrote:
OK, I understand rule 2.a., but my question was more relating to if I had a comment for a topic that has in been posted in for some time.

Say if the topic had not been posted in in a year, then it would be bad form to post in that topic because the discussion is basically dead. But if the last post was two or three weeks ago and I decided that I has something pertinent to add or restart the discussion, would that be OK?

As I said some forums would look very much down on the reviving of an old thread.

Rule 2a still holds true then cause if you make a new discussion and one of us mods sees a relevant but dead discussion it will be merged onto the dead discussion.

So it is always better to revive something than make a new something if it's relevant.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:17 am
OK, thanks Patrick.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:20 am
I would agree with Patrick on the old threads subject, and also say that you are welcome to start a thread about theaters in the Open Discussion forum.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:47 am
Site Admin

Once the forums are old enough, I will be instituting an "archives" policy that will take all old threads (those that haven't been posted to in a long time), lock them, and archive them. At that point, they will be read-only and any additional discussion on that subject would require starting a new thread. However, for now, you can add new posts to any topic that is not locked.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Just offering up an opinion, but I would like to see any topic from the membership with comments with a movie title as the subject remain open indefinitely. I would think that seeing comments next year, on the godfather Part 1 and Part 2 for instance, or Reservoir vs Pulp Fiction remain open and next year when someone new asks the question, we can link to the open thread and it will pop up to the top, for folks who joined later, missed it the first time, etc. and can read some past comments and thoughts.

Anyhow, those are just my thoughts. I do understand that some things need to be archived, for speed, searching, etc. etc.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:17 am
Commodorefirst wrote:
Just offering up an opinion, but I would like to see any topic from the membership with comments with a movie title as the subject remain open indefinitely. I would think that seeing comments next year, on the godfather Part 1 and Part 2 for instance, or Reservoir vs Pulp Fiction remain open and next year when someone new asks the question, we can link to the open thread and it will pop up to the top, for folks who joined later, missed it the first time, etc. and can read some past comments and thoughts.

Anyhow, those are just my thoughts. I do understand that some things need to be archived, for speed, searching, etc. etc.

Excellent idea. Also, with new threads being added constantly, it might be useful to group some threads together, e.g. films of the 90ies, great directors etc.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:42 am