Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:18 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Spammers 
Author Message
Post Spammers
Is the anything that can be done to stop the spammers who post on every topic from time to time?


Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:00 pm
Post Re: Spammers
Just try to inform us if there's a bot we missed. If anyone has the power to actually stop it's probably our fearless leader and even then, I'm not sure


Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:42 pm
Post Re: Spammers
I received an email, no subject line, from one of you fellows today. It was a link to a Canadian online pharmacy... weird. I didn't know bots could hijack an email account and send spam to everyone on a contact list.


Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:31 pm
Post Re: Spammers
majoraphasia wrote:
I received an email, no subject line, from one of you fellows today. It was a link to a Canadian online pharmacy... weird. I didn't know bots could hijack an email account and send spam to everyone on a contact list.


That was probably me, I noticed it when I started getting e-mails from past job inquiry correspondences with various out-of-office e-mails. Then the spam folder had a couple failed deliveries and looking at them told the whole story. I changed my password and deleted all the sent mail.

Sorry Major.


Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:36 pm
Post Re: Spammers
Patrick wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
I received an email, no subject line, from one of you fellows today. It was a link to a Canadian online pharmacy... weird. I didn't know bots could hijack an email account and send spam to everyone on a contact list.


That was probably me, I noticed it when I started getting e-mails from past job inquiry correspondences with various out-of-office e-mails. Then the spam folder had a couple failed deliveries and looking at them told the whole story. I changed my password and deleted all the sent mail.

Sorry Major.



Patrick's a spammer, Patrick's a spammer, ya da di da da :-)
It's amazing how many people sell lists
Rob


Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:43 pm
Post Re: Spammers
The spammers seems to be taking over the past few days. Anything that can be done?


Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:49 pm
Post Re: Spammers
Holy jump-roping Jesus the forum was raped last night.


Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:58 pm
Post suddenly the
suddenly the wow gold air bedlam locomote up wow powerleveling Reiki, Reiki wink of an wow accounts eye forming numerous stream. This buy wow gold is not to beware of this class to cheap wow gold a height or reel, both man and musical .


Mon May 09, 2011 5:52 am
Post Re: suddenly the
nopq022 wrote:
suddenly the wow gold air bedlam locomote up wow powerleveling Reiki, Reiki wink of an wow accounts eye forming numerous stream. This buy wow gold is not to beware of this class to cheap wow gold a height or reel, both man and musical .



Anyone see the irony :-)
I have deleted other posts and banned the user name
Rob


Mon May 09, 2011 5:56 am
Post Re: Spammers
Is it just me or are we being inundated with spammers lately? I'm more than a little frustrated and did some quick Google-ing and found something that could help. It's a phpBB mod that helps with Spam. I'm pretty sure that JB has a couple mods installed already so this should be easy to add. I'm not 100% certain that it's compatible but I believe it is. Here's more:

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/PhpBB3_MOD:_Disable_links_for_new_users

What it does:

Quote:

Disables links and bad words in posts, messages, signatures, and profiles until a user reaches a specified age and/or number of posts
Own-site links are excluded from the filter, other sites can be added to a whitelist
Configurable list of forbidden filter words, optionally show the user the trigger term
Configurable unicode filters to prevent spam in languages not used in the forum
Prevents 'sleeper agents' by disabling posts, signatures, and profiles for old accounts with 0 posts (optional)
Zombie registration cleanup deletes old users with no posts (optional)
Protections are 'automatically' disabled after the criteria are met (no moderation required)


Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:50 pm
Post Re: Spammers
ed_metal_head wrote:
Is it just me or are we being inundated with spammers lately? I'm more than a little frustrated and did some quick Google-ing and found something that could help. It's a phpBB mod that helps with Spam. I'm pretty sure that JB has a couple mods installed already so this should be easy to add. I'm not 100% certain that it's compatible but I believe it is. Here's more:

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/PhpBB3_MOD:_Disable_links_for_new_users

What it does:

Quote:

Disables links and bad words in posts, messages, signatures, and profiles until a user reaches a specified age and/or number of posts
Own-site links are excluded from the filter, other sites can be added to a whitelist
Configurable list of forbidden filter words, optionally show the user the trigger term
Configurable unicode filters to prevent spam in languages not used in the forum
Prevents 'sleeper agents' by disabling posts, signatures, and profiles for old accounts with 0 posts (optional)
Zombie registration cleanup deletes old users with no posts (optional)
Protections are 'automatically' disabled after the criteria are met (no moderation required)



Ed

I have cleaned literally hundreds of posts from Spammers, usually for gold. We have to do it one by one as only James can undertake mass clearance.

I hope he sees your suggestion.

I have often wondered if posts from people with under 10 posts should have to be moderated. There seem to be less of them than spam!

Rob


Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:04 am
Post Re: Spammers
At the forum where I moderate/administrate, we have a tool that, in one fell swoop, deletes a user's account and every message they've posted. It only works on users with a small number of posts--10 or less, if I remember correctly. It's an invaluable anti-spammer tool.

One thing I do is keep an eye on new sign-ups. If I see a username that looks suspicious (i.e. random/generic combinations of letters and numbers), I run Google searches on their IPs and email addresses. Many sites keep databases of known spammers, so this is a pretty good way of catching them before they have a chance to do anything. Given that Reelviews is a relatively small forum as well, this might be a useful strategy.


Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:34 am
Post Re: Spammers
Ken

I hope James is reading as this would be great
I cleaned another 10-12 tonight

Rob


Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:50 am
Post Re: Spammers
Ken wrote:
At the forum where I moderate/administrate, we have a tool that, in one fell swoop, deletes a user's account and every message they've posted. It only works on users with a small number of posts--10 or less, if I remember correctly. It's an invaluable anti-spammer tool.

One thing I do is keep an eye on new sign-ups. If I see a username that looks suspicious (i.e. random/generic combinations of letters and numbers), I run Google searches on their IPs and email addresses. Many sites keep databases of known spammers, so this is a pretty good way of catching them before they have a chance to do anything. Given that Reelviews is a relatively small forum as well, this might be a useful strategy.


That sounds fantastic. Freak Safari is a vBulletin board though so I'm not sure if that tool works with phpBB. In any case it would be great if JB could take some time to look into this. It's deflating to come here and run into so much spam. I'm not sure that he still checks this section so any Mod in the mood to PM him about it?


Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:02 pm
Post Re: Spammers
My goodness, the forum just got fucked in every orifice. I'll try to come back later because right now it's a little difficult to wade through all that spam.


Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:06 pm
Post Re: Spammers
Spammers are back. I wonder how they work. Its like guerrilla warfare. Nothing for awhile and then, BOOM, they hit and run.


Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:18 pm
Post Re: Spammers
Bondurant wrote:
Spammers are back. I wonder how they work. Its like guerrilla warfare. Nothing for awhile and then, BOOM, they hit and run.


It's happening on a daily basis. I can't remember a time when there ever was so much spam (the mods might be able to contradict me). I spent a lot of time researching the problem and provided JB with some links that should drastically reduce the volume. That was a week ago though and I haven't heard anything nor have I noticed a difference. I suppose he's just too swamped at the moment to try and put measures in place. I do hope something gets done though. There's nothing I hate more than coming here and finding the forum defaced.


Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:12 pm
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2068
Post Re: Spammers
At the moment, thirteen of the fourteen most recent posts in the general movie discussions forum are spammers. This is ridiculous.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:38 pm
Profile
Post Re: Spammers
I've never seen a site spammed like this before. WTF is going on?


Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:07 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7387
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Spammers
Bondurant wrote:
I've never seen a site spammed like this before. WTF is going on?


I have no idea. But it's wearying as a moderator, let me tell you

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:10 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr