Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:07 am

Email on Replies 
Post Email on Replies
I think it'd be useful if we could reply to a specific post (not just quote that person). Also, it would be helpful to get an email when someone replies to my post. I know I can subscribe to a topic, but I was thinking about something a bit more personal.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:49 pm
Post Re: Email on Replies
Name me one forum that that actually happens....you can't, can you?

Why should this be so special

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:26 pm
Site Admin

ed_metal_head wrote:
I think it'd be useful if we could reply to a specific post (not just quote that person). Also, it would be helpful to get an email when someone replies to my post. I know I can subscribe to a topic, but I was thinking about something a bit more personal.

I am constrained by some of the inherent limitations of the phpBB3 that forms the basis of these forums. phpBB3 doesn't support either of the suggestions you have made. While there may be a mod available for one or both features, I'm wary of applying mods. I added one yesterday to allow the use of a "Spoiler" tag because I felt it was crucial to the functioning of the forum, but the more mods that are added, the greater the chance of breaking something.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Patrick wrote:

Yes, Patrick, I can. The only other movie forum I visit (imdb) does this. In Facebook groups you can also reply to a single post and receive emails on replies.

I was unfamiliar with this particular style of forum (phpBB3), so I simply made a suggestion. Thanks to James' response I now know that it would be difficult to implement. For some reason you chose to respond in a snarky fashion.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:41 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Yes, Patrick, I can. The only other movie forum I visit (imdb) does this. In Facebook groups you can also reply to a single post and receive emails on replies.

I was unfamiliar with this particular style of forum (phpBB3), so I simply made a suggestion. Thanks to James' response I now know that it would be difficult to implement. For some reason you chose to respond in a snarky fashion.

Facebook groups aren't forums per se, it's just a place to meet and share similar interests. Maybe 1 out of 75 groups actually have active discussion groups. But they have e-mails so I'll give you that.

As for IMDB, I have posted there in the past and not once did I get an e-mail.

And I've been a vet of the ProBoards forum and the phpBB3 forum styles & none of the forums I've been too had e-mail replies so that's why I answered you the way. Oh get out of the IMDB forums and stay here, much better for your sanity :D

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:14 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
The only other movie forum I visit (imdb) does this.

This very line has killed your point. If I meet my future wife on an imdb forum, I will know my life is forfeit.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:23 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
This very line has killed your point. If I meet my future wife on an imdb forum, I will know my life is forfeit.

Lol, I see you enjoy hyperbole. First off, I don't know how that killed my point. I gave an example of a message board where you can reply to an individual. Now, as to your criticism of the posters' quality at the imdb I'd say dig deeper. I know it looks like a cesspool, but there are quite a few interesting conversations. Try looking at the boards of a few classic movies (in particular I find that your odds are best for Hitchcock films).

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Sorry to revive this but I just noticed something. When you make a post there's options below the message body and one of them is "Notify me when a reply is posted" so there you go, there's your precious e-mails ed.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:03 am
No need to apologise Pat ;) , and thanks for the info. I did notice this a while back and receive my most precious emails that way. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it does the job.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:48 pm
Patrick wrote:
"Notify me when a reply is posted" so there you go, there's your precious e-mails ed.

Sorry to resurrect this dormant thread, but has anyone else been getting emails for topics that have nothing new? A couple days ago I got over 10 emails from Reelviews about new posts in topics I was following...only there wasn't anything new at all. It happens occasionally, but usually not on this scale. No problems since. :?:

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:46 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Patrick wrote:
"Notify me when a reply is posted" so there you go, there's your precious e-mails ed.

Sorry to resurrect this dormant thread, but has anyone else been getting emails for topics that have nothing new? A couple days ago I got over 10 emails from Reelviews about new posts in topics I was following...only there wasn't anything new at all. It happens occasionally, but usually not on this scale. No problems since. :?:

It may be spambots that we ban and have deleted posts. Cause there was a big spambot a couple days ago that James banned.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:57 pm
Patrick wrote:
It may be spambots that we ban and have deleted posts. Cause there was a big spambot a couple days ago that James banned.

It does sound like that would be the cause. Thanks for the info.

Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:08 am