Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:32 am

WARGAMES (1983) 
Site Admin

Post WARGAMES (1983)
Click here for the review of WarGames (1983)

Part of the "1980s" series.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: WARGAMES (1983)
I like that movie.

And best of all, Eddie Deezen(sp?) was in it. You know, the voice of Mandark in Dexter's Laboratory!

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:21 pm
Second Unit Director

I remember really enjoying this movie when it came out, but it hasn't aged well. Not just the outdated computer technology, but also the ending which seemed to come from one of Capt. Kirk's old Star Trek episodes.

It's interesting to see how the careers of the two lead actors developed from this movie. Matthew Broderick of course went on to a number of outstanding roles, but Ally Sheedy seemed to drop off the face of the earth after only a couple of more movies.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:07 pm
I thought this would've gotten a lot more responses. Ally Sheedy was absolutely adorable in it.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:38 pm
Nice review James. I liked this film as well - 7/10. Though I have not seen it in many years.

I wonder if feelings of fondness and reminiscence towards an era makes us more positive towards movies that are from within?

I have certainly experienced that in my watching.
Rob

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:37 pm
Cinematographer

This is one of my favorite films from the 1980s. It's completely ridiculous and filled with plot devices (tour groups through NORAD?! Really?!), and yet not far fetched.

I think you left out a big part of the movie, and in my opinion one of the most interesting aspects, in your review. I know you mentioned him in your summary, but what about John Wood as Falken? I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who was like "He's cool. Why doesn't he act more?" I know now that he stuck primarily with stage acting in London, but still. He was the most interesting character in the movie. There was a good half an hour of the movie spent on locating him, and he had the best lines in the second half.

Other than that, this was a good review. I give the movie 7/10.

Sat May 30, 2009 4:10 am