Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:05 am

FIRST BLOOD (1982) 
Site Admin

Post FIRST BLOOD (1982)
Click here for the review of First Blood (1982)

Part of the "1980s" series.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: FIRST BLOOD (1982)
Still in the competition for now.

But are you going to review Rambo II and III for the 80's project as well.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:46 pm
Steve McQueen was slated to be John Rambo before his death

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:59 pm
Site Admin

kubryk wrote:
Steve McQueen was slated to be John Rambo before his death

Sort of true. Before a production team was put together or a script was written, he was pushing the studio to make the movie, with the inducement that he would star. However, he was dead before the production team was put in place.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Yay, I'm in.

I haven't seen any of the Rambo movies. >.< My father would be disappointed in me lol.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:05 pm
Pedro wrote:
Yay, I'm in.

I haven't seen any of the Rambo movies. >.< My father would be disappointed in me lol.

I'm disappointed in you! I expect you to turn in your man-card immediately.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Whew. If you had gone 2.5 or lower I might have had to play my 'shenanigans' card, but we're good, James ;)

As for Steve McQueen as Rambo, well, no.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:27 pm
I loved First Blood. Great action movie. I'd give it 3-1/2 though...

The new one wasn't half-bad either, in my mind better than 300 (I didn't fall asleep watching it)

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:51 pm
I think I heard something about Kirk Douglas being considered for the movie. However, it's said he rejected doing the movie because the original ending was changed and he liked the original ending.

Anyway, I got around to seeing this movie sometime last year and it was a good flick. I'll be surprised if anyone can actually make out what Stallone was saying during his emotional breakdown at the end. :P

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:08 pm
Site Admin

ck100 wrote:
I think I heard something about Kirk Douglas being considered for the movie. However, it's said he rejected doing the movie because the original ending was changed and he liked the original ending.

You might want to clarify that Douglas was offered the part of Trautman, not Rambo. :)

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
I love this movie: it's one of my favorite movies of all time. I own all four movies in the series, and this one is easily the best.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:52 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
You might want to clarify that Douglas was offered the part of Trautman, not Rambo. :)

You did mention that Dustin Hoffman was considered for the part of Rambo though. Man! I'm on board for that! I wish they'd reboot the series with Dustin as Rambo! Well, he's a bit long in the tooth for that now I suppose. I have yet to see Dustin kick ass ... except may be in Meet the Fockers and Kung Fu Panda, do they count? :)

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:15 pm
There's not only power in emotion in the final confrontation of Rambo and Trautman - Stallones monologue is also so over the top that it's hysterically funny. I personally think that it would have been better if Rambo would have been shot by an exasparated Trautman.

I remember that "Rambo" became synonymous with "extreme violence" on the basis of this film. In comparison with today's mainstream action movies, the violence is positively subdued.

apatt wrote:
James Berardinelli wrote:

You did mention that Dustin Hoffman was considered for the part of Rambo though. Man! I'm on board for that! I wish they'd reboot the series with Dustin as Rambo! Well, he's a bit long in the tooth for that now I suppose. I have yet to see Dustin kick ass ... except may be in Meet the Fockers and Kung Fu Panda, do they count? :)

You might want to check out Sam Peckinpah's Straw Dogs.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:19 am
Jim,

I'm sure you won't be reviewing "First Blood: Part II" or "Rambo III" as you go through each year of the 80's. But since you reviewed this movie and "Rambo", what star ratings would you give "First Blood: Part II" and/or "Rambo III"? This is assuming you've seen one of these movies or both. Just curious as to how you would have rated these two movies. Again, this is assuming you've seen one or both.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:53 pm
Site Admin

ck100 wrote:
Jim,

I'm sure you won't be reviewing "First Blood: Part II" or "Rambo III" as you go through each year of the 80's. But since you reviewed this movie and "Rambo", what star ratings would you give "First Blood: Part II" and/or "Rambo III"? This is assuming you've seen one of these movies or both. Just curious as to how you would have rated these two movies. Again, this is assuming you've seen one or both.

I don't assign star ratings w/o writing a review. The review comes first, then the rating. However, I can say that II and III are pretty close in terms of overall badness, with IV being a considerable improvement over either, and I being the best of the bunch.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
I didn't know James Cameron helped write "First Blood: Part II". Was that movie really co-written by the same guy who wrote "Aliens" and "Terminator 2"? Maybe it's just me, but "First Blood: Part II" doesn't seem to have Cameron's "touch".

Although I do wonder what it would be like if Ripley and Rambo had a battle with each other. :P

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:45 pm
Site Admin

ck100 wrote:
I didn't know James Cameron helped write "First Blood: Part II". Was that movie really co-written by the same guy who wrote "Aliens" and "Terminator 2"? Maybe it's just me, but "First Blood: Part II" doesn't seem to have Cameron's "touch".

Although I do wonder what it would be like if Ripley and Rambo had a battle with each other. :P

Cameron wrote the first draft; Stallone pretty much re-wrote the whole thing. Cameron has since distanced himself from the movie.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Can you imagine how AMAZING that movie would have been if Trautman did actually kill Rambo, as it was in the book. Hollywood is so lame when it comes to this kind of thing, but that movie would have had the same resonance as SE7EN if that had been the ending. IMO i guess.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:54 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
Can you imagine how AMAZING that movie would have been if Trautman did actually kill Rambo, as it was in the book. Hollywood is so lame when it comes to this kind of thing, but that movie would have had the same resonance as SE7EN if that had been the ending. IMO i guess.

It was shot and it's on one of the First Blood DVD. It's a bit anti-climatic and I think letting Rambo live was more emotional than him being shot.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:59 pm