Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:31 am

BEHIND THE MASK: THE RISE OF LESLIE VERNON (2006) 
Site Admin

Post BEHIND THE MASK: THE RISE OF LESLIE VERNON (2006)
Click here for the review of Behind the Mask (2006)

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: BEHIND THE MASK: THE RISE OF LESLIE VERNON (2006)
Awesome! If you guys respect James' opinion like I do...check this out!

Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:09 pm
I remember hearing about this film a couple of years ago but somehow never got around to seeing it. After reading your review, though, James, I think I'm definitely going to have to give this one a look-see.

I'm surprised there was no mention of the plot's similarity to that of Man Bites Dog. Does this film differ that much in its execution (no pun intended) of the premise than the Poelvoorde film?

Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:11 pm
I'm so glad to see this movie getting some attention! I rented it at Blockbuster a few years ago out of sheer boredom and found it to be one of the best movies I had seen in a while. It's definitely worth a viewing for those that like some laughter with their horror.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:29 pm
Quote:
I'm surprised there was no mention of the plot's similarity to that of Man Bites Dog. Does this film differ that much in its execution (no pun intended) of the premise than the Poelvoorde film?

Personally I wouldn't be able to point out any direct similarities aside from the general premise. Quite different films in my opinion.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:00 pm
I watched this randomly on Netflix instant view a year or so ago and loved it. I'm glad to hear it is getting a sequel.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:47 pm
Second Unit Director

Artmonkey wrote:
I remember hearing about this film a couple of years ago but somehow never got around to seeing it. After reading your review, though, James, I think I'm definitely going to have to give this one a look-see.

This film is definitely quite good. I just watched it last night on instant watch. I wouldn't say it loses too much energy in its last 30 minutes; there are a few nice twists that I won't give away. To answer your question about "Man Bites Dog" comparisons without giving too much away, "Behind the Mask" is less misanthropic and takes a different approach to the characters of the documentarians. Anybody who liked or loved the "Scream" films or "Shaun of the Dead" should check this one out. I'd also highly recommend the recently released "Tucker & Dale vs. Evil."

Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:32 pm