Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:24 pm

DON'T LOOK NOW (1973) 
Site Admin

Post DON'T LOOK NOW (1973)
Click here for the review of Don't Look Now (1973)

This was Blonde Almond's request as co-winner of the 2011 competition.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Post Re: DON'T LOOK NOW (1973)
Quote:
One element that doesn't work as well as it might is the movie's handling of "second sight," which results in some overwrought, overacted scenes that verge on self-parody. When we first meet the sisters, they are appropriately creepy. Later, however, they become increasingly difficult to take seriously, almost as if the Monty Python crew had hijacked their scenes. Had Roeg toned down this aspect of the film, Don't Look Now might have been damn near perfect.

This is especially true when it appears as though the blind sister is orgasming.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:50 pm
Critic

Very nice review James, a pleasure to read.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:47 pm
Many thanks for the review, JB! I'm glad that it garnered a strong positive reaction. :)

Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:04 pm
Director

great review, nice to see james write on older titles(other than endless star wars columns)

good choice Bonde Almond

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:26 pm
Site Admin

calvero wrote:
great review, nice to see james write on older titles(other than endless star wars columns)

good choice Bonde Almond

Up next ("And now for something completely different...") CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST.

Can't believe I've never seen that one before. (I had previously seen DON'T LOOK NOW, although the one time I saw it many, many years ago, it was to see the sex scene.)

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

James Berardinelli wrote:
calvero wrote:

good choice Bonde Almond

Can't believe I've never seen that one before. (I had previously seen DON'T LOOK NOW, although the one time I saw it many, many years ago, it was to see the sex scene.)

Ha. I remember those days

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:49 pm
I knew nothing about the sex scene going into the film. My main draw was that it was a Nicolas Roeg film. When I eventually got to the boning, it was like, "Man, this movie's tight, Nic Roeg's got OH THERE SOME TITTIES. Wow this is hot." Or something to that effect.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:40 am
calvero wrote:

good choice Bonde Almond

I fully expect that you're gonna rip this one to shreds based on its supposedly awfully reputation so I'm quite looking forward to this particular review! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
I knew nothing about the sex scene going into the film. My main draw was that it was a Nicolas Roeg film. When I eventually got to the boning, it was like, "Man, this movie's tight, Nic Roeg's got OH THERE SOME TITTIES. Wow this is hot." Or something to that effect.

I've never actually seen the sex scene. The only time I've had a chance to catch the film was on TV sometime back in the late 70's, so of course the sex scene was editted out. I don't know exactly how much else was cut (either for content or time) but it was obvious that some things were missing (IIRC, any mention of there being a serial killer on the loose was cut in the broadcast I saw, so the ending came pretty much straight out of left field, and it wasn't obvious exactly what John was investigating, or why). Even with the cuts, it was still incredibly creepy, IMO.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:31 am
calvero wrote:

good choice Bonde Almond

I know I'm way late and don't have much to add, but I do wish to echo this sentiment.

Perhaps it's because I haven't read one like this in a while, but I feel this is among the best reviews that James has written. It would have been easy to half-ass it, but I do really appreciate the effort that was put into writing a review for a contest winner.

And an excellent choice by Blondie. Nicholas Roeg seems to be a very underappreciated/underseen director and the review will go a small way towards correcting this. Good luck again this year, man. I don't think I could have come up with a better choice.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:13 pm
calvero wrote:

good choice Bonde Almond

I'm glad we got to see you review one legit film before the 'DEPRAVITYOMGHAHA' votes were sent in. I admire Don't Look Now, and Roeg in general, for the edginess that directors seemed to ooze (both literally and figuratively) in the 70's. Though I still think Donald Sutherland's bear howl at the beginning is the funniest film moment of 1974.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:28 pm